SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Biscuits n gravey...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biscuits n gravey... Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I made some last week and I add red onion and green peppers for the vitamins.

I add whole wheat flour to some water and mix well so it won't be lumpy when added to the milk.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The sausage must be spicy.

Yum.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family is not averse to the biscuits and gravy meal for lunch or dinner.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Restaurant we used to go to occasionally had a dish they called a "Country Bowl," IIRC. IIRC, the bowl was lined with an omelette, filled with hash brown potatoes, then smothered in biscuit gravy? Something like that.

They actually had passable biscuit gravy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Love ‘em, but honestly don’t have ‘em very often. I’ve still got a recipe that I saved from Rolan a couple years back; hate to admit I haven’t made it yet Frown

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah sometimes I'll fry up a couple of eggs and throw them on top of the biscuits and gravy. damn thats good.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve loved biscuits and gravy all my life, but I am a “team bacon grease gravy” girl, much more so than sausage gravy. Fry up your bacon and remove from pan. Make a nice brown roux with flour in the bacon grease, add milk and cook to desired thickness. You can cheat and make mighty fine crunchy crusty biscuits for gravy by subbing whipping cream for milk in biscuit mix and heating butter in the oven in the pan before placing your biscuits in it and baking.

Posts: 397 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Who doesn't like biscuits and gravy?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Love me some with a egg over easy on each half with several dashes of Tabasco . Even Uncle Sams version (SOS) or (chipped beef on toast) was on my breakfast plate quiet often. ........................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1996 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to raise the bar a little bit , Remove the stuffing from a link of Boudin and put that in your gravy .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
yeah sometimes I'll fry up a couple of eggs and throw them on top of the biscuits and gravy. damn thats good.
Or scrambled . Either way is good stuff .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Geez, now I have a hankerin' for biscuits and sausage gravy...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Heck, I'm ready for seconds. Prolly would need a nap after that.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll be making a batch for about 15 people week from Sunday

1# Jimmy Dean maple sausage
2# Jimmy Dean Hot sausage
2qts Heavy Cream

Cook, drain add heavy cream. Reduce to desired consistency. Season with white pepper

As easy as it can be

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6222 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Bama, that picture looks great.

This is something I have never cooked. Can you give me a recipe, or at least a rough idea of proportions for ingredients?

Fry a pound of sausage until it crumbles. Mix up about 1/4 cup flour and a cup (or so) of whole milk. Pour the mixture into the sausage. Add more milk until it looks right. Put it on biscuits.

No, no, no!! Smile

Choose a pound of sausage to your liking (the family prefers mild over hot, but this is your choice).

Crumble and fry in cast iron skillet. When browned, sprinkle 4 to 5 tablespoons of flour over the sausage being sure to get all of the grease incorporated and there is no white flour spots anywhere in the skillet. Stir around for another minute or two to be sure it's all incorporated before you start to add your milk. Probably 4 or 5 cups of milk, added slowly as you stir. Continue stirring and simmering until it's nice and thick. Remember you can always add more milk, but can't take it away if you add too much. Salt and pepper and you're ready to serve over some nice fluffy biscuits.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Redeye Gravy with my Cathead biscuits.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Even better with some eggs on top.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’m still shocked that most fast food places in Michigan do not sell biscuits and gravy.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I’m still shocked that most fast food places in Michigan do not sell biscuits and gravy.

Would probably be relatively tasteless. Even the sit-down restaurants that have it on the menu usually get it wrong.

Was talking to a waitress at a place at which we used to stop on the way to the boat. I'd order their biscuits and gravy, but it wasn't sausage gravy. Watching the cook at the grill waste sausage drippings while sitting at the counter one day, I asked the waitress "Why don't y'all save those sausage drippings for your biscuit gravy?" "I have no idea," she replied, shaking her head.

posted Hide Post
damnit that looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post