SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about poison ivy - help.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about poison ivy - help. Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
So, my better half is highly susceptible to poison ivy, and it appears the ivy is in bloom. Consequently, she dresses appropriately to prevent contact. In the below case she was wearing bdu's, sweatshirt, shirt and gloves with boots and socks.

Last week (7 days ago) she came in contact with the ivy. 2 days later a rash developed on her hand. 3 more days later a rash appeared on her face and back. 7 days after initial contact she has a rash break out on her legs.

Typically, rashes are supposed to appear 24 to 48 hours after exposure, but hers appears to be periodic and continuing. Has anyone else had this type of reaction?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep! Caused by residual oil that continues to contaminate. For instance, I had a gun case that came in contact with poison ivy, a week later I touched the case, and I had a new outbreak.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Step one, learn to identify. This link goes to a PDF with great info where I finally figured out how to recognize the plant(s) after 30+ years.

Step two, it is the plant oil that causes issue. If it is on something and not washed off, it will continue to cause exposure. It is even possible to have a reaction when handling dead or aged plants. Your pets could also expose you to the oils.

Step three, typically washing any oils off within two to four hours will lessen or eliminate a reaction.

Step four, great info here:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/4oyoDRHpQK0

In the video, he uses grease to simulate the oil from the plants. If only the oil was visible like the grease....

Whatever you do, don't burn it. That would allow it to react in your nasal cavity, throat, and lungs. Best method of removal is to pull it into an inside out trash bag. Seal the bag and then thoroughly wash any exposed skin and all clothing used.

The creams and soaps aren't really that much more effective than simply thoroughly washing and rubbing contaminated areas.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not like your bride's case but highly allergic to Ivy. I recall a thread about this some time ago.
In my experiences, I shower & soap upjudiciously, rinse. I mix bleach & water 1 to 1 and pat on the rashes, heals up fast for me. Probably not good for my hide, but it works for me. Something about the oil on the plant that does the damage.

I wash the clothes, towel and washcloth in hot water.

Good luck to you both

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The oils from the plant probably got on her clothes and were transferred to her hands when she removed her clothes, then to other areas of her body. It could have been transferred to furniture and other surfaces from her clothing, as well. Or to other articles in the washer. I think that oil is pretty hard to remove. You may want to research to find out whether hot water is necessary to get it out of the fabric.

These guys type faster than me. Wink

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
She needs to launder all clothes, socks, gloves, hat etc. she was wearing when exposed to the poison ivy. Anything that can't be laundered (boots, tools) needs to be cleaned with something like Tecnu to remove the ivy oil (urushiol). The oil will also crystallize on items and you can get re-exposed many months later. Clean anything you suspect may be contaminated.

Your wife should also keep a small bottle of Tecnu with her when going anywhere she might be exposed to poison ivy. The product will unlock the oil from her skin so she ends up not breaking out or breaks out much less. I'm not shilling for them but it does work.

https://www.teclabsinc.com/pro...poison-oak-ivy/tecnu

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
My wife's sister is highly susceptible also and she swears by this:

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy to identify, three leaves with the center leaf on a longer stalk.

Dawn dish soap seems to be the most effective way to get rid of the oils. I saw a vid some time back where several methods were tested and Dawn was the clear winner.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
bleach neutralizes the oil, too.

Simply wash the exposed areas with bleach, rinse, dry and for the sensitive skinned folks, apply some skin lotion.

There is another kind of plant, often called poison ivy that climbs up trees. The vine is usually dark red, with a real furry/fuzzy surface. I found out the hard way about that one.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I almost didn’t click on you’re thread for fear of having an outbreak.

Was never allergic through my teens but have become so now in my late 40’s. I too can have an outbreak a week or so after exposure. Likely, as previously mentioned, due to contamination of clothes, etc. Makes it harder to remember where I came in contact with it.

Michael

Posts: 1100 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Pretty easy to identify, three leaves with the center leaf on a longer stalk.

Dawn dish soap seems to be the most effective way to get rid of the oils. I saw a vid some time back where several methods were tested and Dawn was the clear winner.

If one goes by the "leafs of three let it be" phrase, a lot of things fit the saying. The document I linked finally cracked the code for me and helped my really understand what to look for.

The video above shows the Dawn you mentioned. Smile

That pdf and video should somehow become widely taught to the masses. I share them every chance I get. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also think about your pets, they usually don't get the rash, but can carry the oil on the coat. pet them or let them brush against you and transfer the oils to your skin.

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My wife used to get it from the dogs. They would get the oil on their fur and later transfer it to her.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have also found that swimming in salt water helps to dry out poison ivy rash. Reduces the urge to scratch.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
My wife's sister is highly susceptible also and she swears by this:

^^^This!! One product to wash clothes. another for the soap to use in the shower. The oils may need a day on the skin for an outbreak to occur, so prompt washing is important.

Secondly, wash off the skin firmly with washcloth turning frequently. Think of it as axle grease, and it ain't coming off by itself with a rinse.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Step one, learn to identify. This link goes to a PDF with great info where I finally figured out how to recognize the plant(s) after 30+ years.

Thank you for that link! It is the best identification schema I have seen, very easy. I will share this with the Scouts in my pack.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Jewel weed is a natural remedy. If you look on the internet, you can find jewel weed soaps, etc. I'm very allergic to it as well and have used the jewel weed products in the past with great success. It will cut down the time the rash persists.....about in half.

Posts: 353 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Thank you for that link! It is the best identification schema I have seen, very easy. I will share this with the Scouts in my pack.

Glad to give back (you helped me learn to identify poison vs non-poison snakes).

Full credit goes to the original author. I found the info here about a year ago.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. The video provided the insight needed to address her procedure failing. No new spots have raised.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
As someone else stated lots of plants have 3 leaves and aren't poison ivy. Do you have a dog? Many times people get it from contact with them.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post