SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Collecting rain water what do I need to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collecting rain water what do I need to know? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Those big totes can be had on Craig-list and Facebook Marketplace. I have seen as little as 25 bucks for older dirty ones and 50 to 75 for food grade clean ones, many with drain valve included.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
Get in touch with you local water treatment plant or waste water treatment plant and see is they have any used totes that you could pick up and take away. Make sure it is a large plant as small cities buy their chemical by the drum.

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
That’ll take a pretty stout pickup. 275 gallons = ~2,300 lbs plus the weight of the container.

The fertilizer rep thinks nothing of bringing a loaded tote out in the back of his three quarter ton Chevy. Granted, they typically only put 265 gallons in a tote, but since the fertilizer is typically between 11 and 13 pounds per gallon, that is still a lot heavier than 275 gallons of 8# per gallon water. The totes weigh very little, I’d guess less than fifty pounds, but definitely less than 100#. One man can get them in the back of a pickup with little trouble. The challenge is how awkward they are to handle, not how heavy. You definitely want to tie them down if empty as they will fly.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I thought this is interesting. He’s in Arizona. Note the metal roof. By and far it’s a very good video. I do disagree with his view of not
getting the water tested. He doesn’t show them in this video but he does have some totes like Henry mentioned above.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/P-e6oOyrQ04

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a good source for a valve that would screw into the 2" npt hole on a standard closed top 55 Gallon drum with a 3/4" male hose outlet?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking to get to elaborate here. That Aqua Tank bladder post by OKCGENE is probably the perfect answer for me. It is only for gray water and not drinking. I would probably only have to haul that 30 gallon bladder once or twice a week up to the lake to refill the rv's.

For this first summer we are going to have a porta potty brought on site so no one has to worry about going off site to dump the black water. Next spring we are going to bury a underground holding tank for the rv's to dump directly into. A drilled well could be in the works which would solve the problem all together but that's a couple years down the road.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
for drinking water you'll need a first flush valve of some kind. The initial rain will wash all the dust and solids and bird poop off the roof - you want to wast that or use for garden. Then the valve kicks over and you collect the cleaner water coming off the roof later in the storm...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post