SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought my first automatic watch.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought my first automatic watch. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Man I am LOVING this Seiko 5 watch. You guys were right. After wearing it all day yesterday it has been keeping better time. I love the way this thing looks and feels and the fact that it is powered by my movement is pretty neat. I’m becoming a fan of automatics. I can’t wait to buy another one....

I’m thinking about getting a Seiko Presage SSA303J1 next. The power level indicator on an automatic is a nice touch. It’s also a great looking watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Love the blue hands, a nice looking prospect.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15305 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I can’t decide between silver or black. Leaning towards silver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
If someone is partial to Seiko and they want something really nice, consider Grand Seiko. It’s Japan’s high-end watches.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
In fact a good number of Seiko watches are available in Japanese and non Japanese versions. The desired Seikos are Japanese. The model numbers will end in " J" or a J followed usually by a number 1. I have 11 Seikos most all are JAPAN models and keep great time. John

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
The silver face definitely offers more contrast.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Those Grand Seikos are damn nice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
I think Citizen has the best idea with their EcoDrive watches, that need no battery or winding. They are powered by exposure to light. As for automatic watches, I recently learned that if the watch is new or has stopped running, you are supposed wind it 30-40 times before depending on the self-winding function. I was winding it 4-5 times, just enough to get it running before putting it on my wrist.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My Eco Drive atomic radio wave watches are pretty hands off. As long as the factory settings are proper the watch basically sets and corrects itself. Give them sun and eco drives basically take care of the rest. They are damn accurate.

This automatic is different. It’s not as precise but I think I like it more. I like that it can be quite accurate while still being completely mechanical and powered by movement. They are both VERY cool designs but I’m becoming more of an automatic watch fan. That window on the back exposing all the gears inside is very cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have an automatic watch, an Apple iPhone 7 Plus, and two automatic clock radios. I have seen them on three different minutes. The two automatic clock radios are always one minute different.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I like the black, but would go silver for the blue hands, which I think would get lost on the black face.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15305 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Spent a hour or more last night looking at automatic watches. I have a Luminox quartz watch now that’s been great, but the illumination is fading and I can’t make out the minute hand at night any longer.

I’m not in a rush, especially given that it’s Christmas and we’ve spent plenty already, but right off the bat, I like watches from Alpina, Laco, Magrette, and Zodiac—all have things about them I like. They are all kind of spendy, without being Tag, Brietling, Omega or Rolex spendy.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Once you catch the watch bug it becomes expensive......love me some nice automatics

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Spent a hour or more last night looking at automatic watches. I have a Luminox quartz watch now that’s been great, but the illumination is fading and I can’t make out the minute hand at night any longer.

I’m not in a rush, especially given that it’s Christmas and we’ve spent plenty already, but right off the bat, I like watches from Alpina, Laco, Magrette, and Zodiac—all have things about them I like. They are all kind of spendy, without being Tag, Brietling, Omega or Rolex spendy.

Take a look at Ball too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Take a look at Ball too.
Alright, thanks

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at Ball too.

Keep in mind David is a Ball dealer as well (I think).

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This Seiko is gorgeous. It photographs pretty well.

I got another “beater” auto to try out. It has a seiko movement and seems like it should hold up well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
That's a solid watch. Congratulations ....
and welcome to the addiction.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Look at Deep Blue for some very affordable automatics

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

If this is a GADA watch, the silver dial is going to dress up better.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post