SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought my first automatic watch.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought my first automatic watch. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I’ve gotten into watches a bit lately. I’ve had a G-Shock rescue that I wore exclusively for a few years but it never really seemed right for formal events so my wife got me a Citizen Eco-Drive. The Citizen sort of kicked off my newfound interest in watches.

I was browsing eBay late the other night when I came across a Seiko 5 automatic. The price was good so I figured what the heck. It’s one of the cheapest automatics out there that still has good reviews.

There is something neat about the mechanical function of an automatic watch, especially when it has a clear back and allows you to see the gears and intervals moving. Yeah, radio band watches, Bluetooth and cellphone connected watches and smart watches kinda take away some of the appeal of an automatic but I think they are neat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Those are great watches I have one similar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Automatics have soul! Enjoy!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
You have been bitten by the bug! Enjoy!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
There is something neat about the mechanical function of an automatic watch, especially when it has a clear back and allows you to see the gears and intervals moving.

Nice! - I don't have an automatic watch yet, but will have someday. Love the sound of my pocket watches, the mechanical internals are a thing of beauty to me.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
7S26 is a fantastic movement!

Seiko 5 offers fantastic value and can be regulated to very good accuracy. Very good indeed.

There's a company called Strapcode that offers upgraded bracelets for many Seikos at an unbelievably low price, check them out.

Also, check out The Urban Gentry on YouTube, he offers some nice information about the Seiko 5 series.

That ice blue dial is real nice.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those Seiko 5s are great bargains. You get areally good watch for a very low price. They are hard to beat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I wear my beater Seiko 5 to work every day. Great watch. Bought it used here on the forum.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted in another watch thread that I had an ecodrive. I checked; mine's not a citizen, but a casio pathfinder. Metal titanium band, it's dressy enough for me, not fancy. It's all digital; I don't like analog watches.

This one uses atomic time, which I guess makes it "automatic." It's more accurate than the clock in the aircraft. It's precise with the GPS signal. When I got this watch, that was one of the main features I wanted: atomic clock. That, and time zones. I don't use most of the other features, but they're handy sometimes, too. The solar recharge feature is nice, as well.

So far as as automation goes, a watch that keeps exact time and updates regularly is perfect for me; it's why I have a watch in the first place.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Seiko Orange Monster that I occasionally wear as a beater, along with my G-Shock. Seiko makes great automatics.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16698 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont worry, its certainly not an addiction. I'm sure thats the last one you'll eeeeeeever buy.

There are some pluses to the "dumb" watches. I was on a cruise that crossed a few different time zones and was away from the interwebs and I'll tell you, some apple watches weren't doing as well as a wind up I had on. They were way off. You also dont have to charge them though if you dont wear them for a while you will have to jump start them. On the bright side if youre ever away from the Mrs for a while on business trips or deployed its basically nuclear. I'm not saying they arent cool too but if its not automatic or eco-drive I'm generally not too excited.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have a Seiko Orange Monster that I occasionally wear as a beater, along with my G-Shock. Seiko makes great automatics.

My Orange Monster is one of my better watches. Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have an automatic watch, love it.

Casio, Waveceptor. Had it for years. The battery finally died a few weeks ago and had to have it replaced. Now if I could figure out how to replace the band!

Anyway, never have to adjust if for DST, dates, leap year, etc. Just wear it. Completely waterproof.

I paid about 70 bucks for it at wallyworld way back when. Only expense since then has been a few weeks ago to replace the battery, first time!

Have to check the watch counter at wallyworld and see if they can replace the band, or tell me how to get it done.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
have an automatic watch, love it. Casio, Waveceptor. Had it for years. The battery finally died a few weeks ago and had to have it replaced.

Not familiar with the Waveceptor but if it needs a battery then it's not an automatic is it?

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I bought mine after watching this review.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got a 5, I love that little watch.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by Snapping Twig
quote:
7S26 is a fantastic movement!

Seiko 5 offers fantastic value and can be regulated to very good accuracy. Very good indeed.

There's a company called Strapcode that offers upgraded bracelets for many Seikos at an unbelievably low price, check them out.

Also, check out The Urban Gentry on YouTube, he offers some nice information about the Seiko 5 series.

That ice blue dial is real nice.

Thanks man. I love it’s dial. The unique color is kinda why I scooped it up. It was the only Seiko 5 Automatic I could find with a light blue dial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Mostly all my watches are Seiko, cannot go wrong for the price and I beat the shit out of them.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I used the atomic time website to meticulously synchronize all my watches down to the second as best I could. I can’t wait to find out which are the most accurate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~