SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Argentinian Navy lost contact with one of its submarines. all presumed dead and ship lost in the abyss(Edited)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentinian Navy lost contact with one of its submarines. all presumed dead and ship lost in the abyss(Edited) Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
There's no arguing that our economy is shit and not even the Gods can male sense of it but your statement regarding the country's ability to feed its people is awfuly wrong. What has always kept us afloat - pardon the pun - is that this country is rich in most resources. Governments will keep on stealing and missusing our money without ever hitting rock bottom - pardon yet another pun.

0-0
I couldn't agree with you more about the government's behavior being the reason for Argentina's poor and weakening economy, and I certainly meant no disrespect to the people of your country. Much like the situation in Venezuela, it pains me to see the people of these resources rich countries suffer when it is totally unnecessary given the possibilities.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
The bond among submariners is unlike that of few military jobs. The United States Navy is always available to assist. I’m sure there is much going on behind the scenes we don’t know about. We’d even help the Russians if they ask.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 0-0:
There's no arguing that our economy is shit and not even the Gods can male sense of it but your statement regarding the country's ability to feed its people is awfuly wrong. What has always kept us afloat - pardon the pun - is that this country is rich in most resources. Governments will keep on stealing and missusing our money without ever hitting rock bottom - pardon yet another pun.

0-0
I couldn't agree with you more about the government's behavior being the reason for Argentina's poor and weakening economy, and I certainly meant no disrespect to the people of your country. Much like the situation in Venezuela, it pains me to see the people of these resources rich countries suffer when it is totally unnecessary given the possibilities.[/

Must be Pun Day, it's not a big deal Wink Definitely NOT a situation like Venezuela. We dodged that one when the previous gobernment was ousted at the last elections. They were big fans of Chavez and now Maduro antics.
If it were 2001 I'd agree the provervial fan is clogged by the flying excreta but that is not the case and food has never been an issue in this country in my near 60 years of life.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Me too guys. Prayer sent.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Only because I stirred my own interest re Argentina and nukes I found this synopsis. It seems Argentina was deep into the arena with many prominent facilitators, even building their very own Oak Ridge-like gaseous diffusion plant amongst other weapon complementary initiatives, i.e., missiles.

Link: https://fas.org/nuke/guide/argentina/nuke/

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
That's mighty big of the UK to offer to help, putting history behind them.

'Is é an fharraige an namhaid dúinn uile.' -'The sea is the enemy of us all.'

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog: They went toe to toe againat the Brits in the Faulklands. . .

Not with their navy they didn't. The 'General Belgrano' was sunk before it could fire a shot.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Having rode three diesel boats, I can say they're running out of time. Frown

Modern Diesel Electric submarines continue to be developed and produced. The German Type 212 and 214 boats can stay submerged for up to three weeks without snorkeling due to the onboard fuel cells.

Made for export the German type 214 cost only $330 million to produce. 'Comparable' US Virginia class subs cost $2.6 billion.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog: They went toe to toe againat the Brits in the Faulklands. . .

Not with their navy they didn't. The 'General Belgrano' was sunk before it could fire a shot.

tac

But, sadly, they made you pay dearly for your victory. Point being, they are not some pissant 3rd world country with delusions of grandeur.

Few navies would want to face a nuclear Trafalgar-class (IIRC) hunter-killer sub. . . The Argentinian carrier high tailed it back to port, and your Navy effectively negated theirs.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was reading that this class of submarines was equipped to accept a Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV). If its on the bottom and intact, hopefully they can find it and offload the crew.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
quote:

tac

But, sadly, they made you pay dearly for your victory. Point being, they are not some pissant 3rd world country with delusions of grandeur.

Where did I write that?

tac

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Both Argentina's and The Royal Nacvy should make the best of this horrible situation and welcome the opportunity to test and learn of each other technical capabilities to find the sub.

Just my uneducated opinion. Politics and mil strategies be damned.

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Seems you'd be moving the DSRV closer now if there was any chance or intention of rescuing the sub.

Do they know where it is?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Still vanished. Now there are planes from Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, UK and the US looking for it.

Preparing for the worse.

0-0

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
quote:

tac

Where did I write that?

tac

I took your comment to be a jab at their navy. As good as they were, Brit and US nuke boats are something no navy will take lightly. The Brits could have sunk that carrier whenever they wanted to. They sent a message and the Argentine Navy took the hint and sat the rest of the conflict out.

Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:

Modern Diesel Electric submarines continue to be developed and produced. The German Type 212 and 214 boats can stay submerged for up to three weeks without snorkeling due to the onboard fuel cells.

Made for export the German type 214 cost only $330 million to produce. 'Comparable' US Virginia class subs cost $2.6 billion.

That's a WHOLE lot of difference in dollars there. Especially considering it costs just as much to build things in Germany as it does in the US.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
'Comparable' US Virginia class subs cost $2.6 billion.

There's no comparison.
While one is quiet for short periods of time and does well along a continental shelf, the other can operate in every ocean & sea, particularly the big blue spaces, is able to utilize much more powerful sensors, can deploy as long as it's crew can make sandwiches and can keep up and possibly exceed the speed of a CVBG.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to lose hope, but perhaps they're trying to communicate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...kt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Both Argentina's and The Royal Nacvy should make the best of this horrible situation and welcome the opportunity to test and learn of each other technical capabilities to find the sub.

Just my uneducated opinion. Politics and mil strategies be damned.

0-0

And who can disagree with that?

Mariners in danger deserve all the help that can be brought to bear.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Not to lose hope, but perhaps they're trying to communicate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...kt5R&ocid=spartanntp
Interesting news on the sat phone attempts. Thanks for sharing and thanks for keeping the thread on topic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post