SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you heard the term "Fair to middling"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you heard the term "Fair to middling" Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
It was a common phrase while growing up in Wisconsin. I've haven't heard it in many years since I've been in the West.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
This was a clue on Jeopardy tonight.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9691 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Yep. My Grandfather.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I said it today. It's normal vernacular in the Middle Mississippi valley.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Common growing up in Alabama and still commonly heard here in Appalachia.

I reckon it will still be commonly heard tomorrow, the Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Still hear it and use it from time to time.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't "fair to middlin" a grade of cotton that farmers were given when selling their cotton to the local buyer?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Fair to Midland is pretty common in Michigan. We have a city named Midland. There are various contractions that you'll hear as well

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Ohio. Definitely heard it. As 'Fair to middlin' and Fare to Midland.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post