SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you heard the term "Fair to middling"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you heard the term "Fair to middling" Login/Join 
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
I was taught it referred to cotton grades when I was young.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
A common phrase here in Texas.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I use it, but I don't hear it too often in Utah.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was "fair to Midland".
Maybe a Texas thing, dunno. Confused

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Millennial version is "Faire to Middle Earth" Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I was taught it referred to livestock grades.
However the local sale barns use the official USDA system now I think.

Pretty common term around here mostly in greetings now.
How you been Joe? Oh, fair to middlin' I reckon.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've used that expression often especially when responding to queries about how I'm doing. Smile The other response option I use is "same ol', same 'ol'."

It may be more familiar to my generation that younger ones.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
You still hear it alot here in parts of Florida

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was taught it as part of the cotton grading system when I was in High School Agriculture in the '70's. Very common in rural areas that grew cotton when I was growing up. ( AZ and OK )

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I always thought it was "fair to Midland".
Maybe a Texas thing, dunno. Confused

Never been to Texas and I use midland quite often had no idea it was actually middling.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. One of many that will garner me a strange look or two upon its use. Again, heard from parents & grandparents.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Fair to middlin heard and have used the phrase

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Grew up with it but don't hear it as much anymore.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBmTYGJY0EI

In his autobiography "Cash by Johnny Cash", he describes "fair to middlin" as one of the grades of cotton.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, use it down here in Cajun Country

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used it and many others. It seems people even 10-15 years younger than me have never heard of these sayings. We lose more and more of our older sayings every day. I guess that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Hear it often here.

Now....”you betcha” not so much.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I have used it and many others. It seems people even 10-15 years younger than me have never heard of these sayings. We lose more and more of our older sayings every day. I guess that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

Yass, after this thread started I tried 'fair to middlin' (no g) on the y'ung uns at the general stores, ice houses, and what-not shops. Mostly got blank stares. I am familiar with the phrase as it relates to cotton but my understanding is that the connotation is something like 'not failing, not succeeding'. I guess the more recent equivelient would something like 'stayin' alive'.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The old man used it regularly but not exclusively. He grew up all over so nothing regional about him. I've always said it.

He was his own kind of odd duck. A friend said "I saw your dad downtown. I asked how are you doing, Mr. B?"

The old man - "Adequately if not famously". Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
My Mom uses this phrase , she's 83.
I've never heard it otherwise.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post