SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you heard the term "Fair to middling"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you heard the term "Fair to middling" Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted
Fair to middling is a term I enjoy using once in a while, I learned it from likely my dad. But it seems when I use it a lot of people don't know it. I'm wondering just how out of the lexicon it is.

here's what it means and where it's from for those so inclined
https://www.phrases.org.uk/mea...air-to-middling.html

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very familiar with the term.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It is a term I have heard many times, mostly in my youth.

flahguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty common here in LA.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yup. Usually with the ending "g" dropped: "Fair to middlin'."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

This

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My grandfather used the term often in my youth.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yes, this term came to me via my mom and her family. Never heard my dad’s side use it

quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:

This

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with it, but it's not a common saying around here.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:

This, during my early years

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up hearing/using the term, and still do from time to time.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, used as ensigmatic describes. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
If you asked my late father-in-law how he was doing... it was usually "Fair to middling"

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yes, used as ensigmatic describes. Big Grin

Yes, again. I've used the term many times and still do.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Just heard it again last week on The Andy Griffith Show. Andy and Barney were talking to a salesman played but Sterling Holloway. The episode is called Merchant of Mayberry. Excellent episode. All the little sayings are in it.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Here in alabama, i hear that everyday.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Heard of it, but I don't use it, nor can I recall anybody using it.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born and raised down South, hear it all the time. My dad's mother, God rest her soul, said it every conversation you had with her when you asked her how she was doing. She lived well into her 90's spry every day of her life but the last one.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

This ^^^^ and still hear/use it once in a while.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
My father said it often.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post