SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the best paint to use in a bathroom?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best paint to use in a bathroom? Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
What is the best brand and line of bathroom paint?

I plan to paint the walls and ceiling the same color.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommend using a primer first

I like Benjamin Moore-Aura bath and spa paint. Or you could go with the cheaper line called BEN. A semi gloss finish is the best for a bathroom, you need the gloss aspect for the humidity. Do not use a flat paint.

Benjamin Moore is a little pricier than your Lowe's or HD stuff, but covers a lot better (goes a lot further) and lasts a lot longer.

I wouldn't paint the ceiling the same color, it will look horrible like you're in a fishbowl. What you can do is get the paint that is 2 shades lighter on the same paint card, and this is enough of a contrast and does look very nice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^^ jimmy123x has it right ^^^^

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Consumer reports has Behr Marquee and Behr Premium Plus rated above Benjamin Moore Aura.

You want semi-gloss in bathrooms.

You want a different color on the ceiling than the walls. Nothing wrong with std ceiling white. What looks cheap is same color on walls and ceilings. My thought process on this is that when shopping for a new homes, you want at least two colors (i.e. different color wall from ceiling) and preferably more, but when you walk in a home with 1 color it's the tell-tale sign of a budget build.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
These are two small 5x8 bathrooms with fairly low ceilings (7.5" I think).

I'd read a bunch that said for small bathrooms to use the same color paint on the ceilings. I'm not opposed to white, I just don't want to make these rooms feel smaller than they do already.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all top tier products the technology allows you to use what ever sheen you want to..matte and higher. To use a semi gloss is old thinking.

mildewcides are additives that are included into the ultra premium products important in high moisture areas like bathrooms. you may not see it, but its there. If you can see it that's the dead portion of the colony, there's plenty more leading away from that spot

to my knowledge all BM products contain a mildwcide from Regal line and higher

Behr only has 2 products that does not have it Have it (ceiling paint and new drywall primer). Id not recommend the premium plus flat for a bathroom

SW durations and emerald lines have it. most of the promar does not

Unless SW changed it all the Valspar premium products have it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
first thing we did with my kid's 1948 home...was to install a vent fan for the bathrooms....

then he tore down the wallpaper

then I wound up fixing that

then I put Kilz primer

then I painted it with Sherwin Williams latex

having the vent removes all the moisture from the small room and prevents mold

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Kilz is what I used as well.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beige?

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Install a digital timer for a bathroom fan.

Don't have a fan? Install a Samsung fan.

Most premium paints include mildewcide.

Paint the ceiling white.

Satin is fine or the valspar specific bathroom paint that is close to satin.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post