SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Dog's Love - Might be one of the saddest things I've ever seen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Dog's Love - Might be one of the saddest things I've ever seen Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted
Every night when I get home from work and relax in my recliner, my dog Dakota wakes up from his all day nap so he can play hedgehog with me. Hedgehog is a game wher he grabs his favorite hedgehog stuffed toy the honks when he squeezes it, brings it up to me and flips it onto my lap which means I'm supposed to throw it across the room to fetch it. Keep in mind that when I rescued this yellow lab about a year and a half ago, he had no idea what it was to retrieve something or chase a toy. That alone is pitiful.

So anyway, last week I went camping with my son in the woods of Northern MN for 4 nights. Night 1 was dreadful for Dakota, he stared at the door waiting for me to come home, went outside and stared at the end of the driveway hoping my truck would roll in. When Mrs. BRL finally got him to come back inside (he normally insists on being inside all the time) he paced and paced in circles around the living room, driving her nuts. He wouldn't eat and would go to bed.

The next night same thing, still hadn't eaten was chewing his leg raw from anxiety, pacing again. I texted some voice messages to him telling him he's a good boy, we'll play hedgehog, time for nite-nite. This worked great! He soon settled down, are his dinner (from last night) and curled up in his bed.

The next night he was on to it and didn't fall for any of it. He ignored the voice messages and went to work on his leg.

Then she sent me a picture and video that just broke my heart.

The picture of him staring at the hedgehog in my empty chair

And then the video of him playing with the missing man Frown

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GC7GS827Eo

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Poor Dakota Frown

That's tough and sad.

Wish he could have gone with you...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Your post makes me wonder who missed who more!

You two deserve each other. All is good! Enjoy!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Awww that's a daddy's boy!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Poor Dakota,

Can you imagine just how happy he is going to be when you get home to play hedgehog with him...

Maybe it is time to take him camping on the next trip, those were some of the best times Drake and I ever had.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great dog.

FWIW the best dog I've ever had was a 105lbs yellow lab.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Satisfaction! Big Grin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxbQ0kb8Uc

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I broke the verticle camera rule.

I'd have loved to take him with but it was more of a fishing trip. I only have a 12 foot boat and we anticipated possibly taking a canoe and portaging into the wilderness. He wouldn't have fit in the boat and I didn't want to leave him alone kenneled.

He get's to go up with us in a couple weeks again th the north shore of Lake Superior.

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Hahahahahaaaa

Now that is one happy boy...

Great for all involved.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
He needs a girl dog...... Big Grin

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Nice.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I hate dogs, only ever had one as an adult (barely). Honey. She was a golden that someone dumped on my Mom, and I adopted her Dude said he was going to Miami, can you watch for the weekend. Never came back. She looked just like yours and behaved just like yours. She had cancer and bad joints. She'd play fetch in the front yard with me after work until I had to carry her in.

Typical lab, she had food and hunting craze. She'd fetch until immobile and tried to retrieve everything. Loved her so much, which says a ton since I hate dogs. She was special.

Luckily I was away and Mom was watching her when she needed to be put down. I don't think I would have been able.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I guess Dakota gets to go camping next time, hmmm?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Nice! And glad you had a good fishing trip.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Satisfaction! Big Grin
Nice!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Glad you're back home to play with him. It's amazing how much an animal can love you. It's something that people who have never had a pet simply cannot ever understand.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It is sadly gratifying isn't it? He wuvs you lots. Smile

I love how the voice mail worked the first time but not the second
I have this mental picture of Dakota, laying on his bed awake thinking. " I was so tired, I miss Daddy but I can't believe I fell for that. I'm just too tired, that's all. If he's not back tomorrow, ain't no way I'm going for that tinny voice recording BS again. Nope. Not gonna do it. I wasn't born yesterday. I am so tired."

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
There is nothing stronger than the love and loyalty of a good dog.

Give some pets from me please.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post