SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to keep your online browsing unfiltered by political propaganda
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to keep your online browsing unfiltered by political propaganda Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
A long article from The Federalist on new startups taking advantage of the uniform leftist bias of big tech companies.
Mentioned are Brave, a new browser company started by Brendon Eich (kicked out of Mozilla for donating to California Prop 8); and supposedly unbiased alternatives for Google searches and Wikipedia.
Worth taking a look, I think.

Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Good article, I am using Brave - give it a try. You can go on news sites with out them shutting down.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, i love brave. Literally juat installed it and all the annoyances i normally see are gone.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. Downloaded Brave and giving it a try.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just downloaded Brave for the Mac. There's all that blank space to the left and right--no ads!
Am I going to miss them?

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
THANKS!

Been half-assed looking for something new due to Chrome's invasiveness. IE is a non-starter obviously, and previously got tired of Firefox's continual bloat-ware.

Downloaded Brave, took about 30 seconds to decide I'd found a new home. Hope it stays lean and mean.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Agreed! Thank you.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well count me in too. Using Brave now on my phone.

Just wish they had a banner widget for quick searches like Google. But that's a minor thing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Ok. I downloaded it onto my iPad, but can't get it to let me reply here on the Forum. It just opens a new tab.

What am I missing?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Ok. I downloaded it onto my iPad, but can't get it to let me reply here on the Forum. It just opens a new tab.

What am I missing?

I'm having the same problem.
Turning off the pop up blocker didn't help.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Can't answer the ipad issue. When I do a reply on here, with either W7 or W10, it opens the new tab with the reply box in it. I am able to to reply and "Post Now" , it just does not close the new tab after the reply like IE did. I have to X out the tab (close it). I haven't found anything in the Settings that sounds like it would change that, for now I just close the new tab after post reply.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

What am I missing?

On my Tablet or phone (Android), the reply window would always come up in its own tab instead of a "pop-up." It's working the same with me in the Brave Browser as it was in Chrome. The reply tab then disappears on its own. Is it an Apple thing?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It seems ok with replies on other sites. Hmmmm.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Seems a lot faster.
Haven't found all the settings I'm used to yet but hopefully they are there somewhere.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'll be checking that out.
Any information on whether it collects information like Chrome does?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
^^well the article you didnt read says "no" SmileRazz

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
^^well the article you didnt read says "no" SmileRazz
I'm on a mobile device right now and can't read the article at this time.
I didn't think asking would be so big of a deal.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this info!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
brave does something questionable sometimes, it'll remove the ad on the website and insert it's own.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Now that I'm home and on a device suitable for reading the article, I read it.
It states:

"Like most modern browsers, it blocks ads, but it also stops trackers from getting data from what you browse. It’s made to streamline websites so they load faster, and even keeps a running tally of all of the ads and trackers that it’s removed."

I downloaded and tried it. It's not all that different from Firefox in its look and use, but it is MUCH faster for me.
I'm going to test drive it for a while and see if I will make the switch to it completely.
I still have questions about how secure it is - I didn't see any mention of that in the article.