SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to keep your online browsing unfiltered by political propaganda
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to keep your online browsing unfiltered by political propaganda Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This is a start. Next, I'd happily give Comcast another 5 bucks a month to opt out of all political ads. Others can at least be entertaining sometimes.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
^^well the article you didnt read says "no" SmileRazz
I'm on a mobile device right now and can't read the article at this time.
I didn't think asking would be so big of a deal.

Its not, hence the smiley faces Smile

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
brave does something questionable sometimes, it'll remove the ad on the website and insert it's own.
There's a setting for Ads - 1) Allow Ads 2) Block Ads 3) Allow Brave Ads.
I would think if you change your setting to "Block Ads" that would stop.

I'm really liking the speed of this browser.
I need to find out how secure it is.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is my question also. I feel Ok about Apple security with regard to Safari and the iCloud, but don't have any info regarding security on Brave.

OK here's a quote from an April 2017 article about browser security:

quote:
Announced by Brendan Eich, co-founder of the Mozilla Project, Brave is an open source browser that offers a respectable Chrome and Safari alternative, even in its early stages.

Brave offers great speeds and advanced ad-tracking controls, ideal for the privacy conscious who are also after a lightweight browser.

Available for Windows, Linux and OS X users, Brave includes HTTPS Everywhere integration, blocks cookie capture and has an active developer community which is always improving the browser.

Downsides? It's a pretty new browser that's in beta testing so don't expect a fully polished product.

Link

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
brave does something questionable sometimes, it'll remove the ad on the website and insert it's own.
There's a setting for Ads - 1) Allow Ads 2) Block Ads 3) Allow Brave Ads.
I would think if you change your setting to "Block Ads" that would stop.

I'm really liking the speed of this browser.

What WaterburyBob said. Been using Brave on and off for about a day. I like it so far.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I just put it on my iPad. Not bad so far. I would love to be able to import my Safari bookmarks. One issue I am having. When I hit "reply" it opens another tab with the same page, not a login window. So I tapped the login link on the page and was able to login. Then I hit "reply" (Sigforum is showing me logged in) and it just opened another window with the same page again. So I hit the "quick reply" icon below the last post and a quick reply window opened up. This is what I am typing in.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Just tried to edit my post and the same thing happened. New tab with the current window with no edit box. Typing this using the "quick reply" . A small issue and it may be my settings. I also wish I could move tabs around. A little bit OCD I guess but I like Sigforum always on the left, and right now that is the S&W forum (their ads drive my iPad nuts. It's too old to use an ad blocker so that was the first website I went to. It loads GREAT in this browser). I guess I will have to close the browser and reopen Sigforum first so it is on the left. Left, abreast, and instep, and all of that Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Well I just put it on my iPad. Not bad so far. I would love to be able to import my Safari bookmarks. One issue I am having. When I hit "reply" it opens another tab with the same page, not a login window. So I tapped the login link on the page and was able to login. Then I hit "reply" (Sigforum is showing me logged in) and it just opened another window with the same page again. So I hit the "quick reply" icon below the last post and a quick reply window opened up. This is what I am typing in.

JALLEN was having that same issue on his iPad.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Just tried to edit my post and the same thing happened. New tab with the current window with no edit box. Typing this using the "quick reply" . A small issue and it may be my settings. I also wish I could move tabs around. A little bit OCD I guess but I like Sigforum always on the left, and right now that is the S&W forum (their ads drive my iPad nuts. It's too old to use an ad blocker so that was the first website I went to. It loads GREAT in this browser). I guess I will have to close the browser and reopen Sigforum first so it is on the left. Left, abreast, and instep, and all of that Wink

I'm trying Brave out today in Linux Mint, and specifically tried the issues you cited. They all work as intended in Mint, so the problems you're having might be limited to the IPad version.

One flakiness within Mint: I have Brave set up to "Switch to new tabs immediately"; sometimes it does so, and sometimes it does not. I haven't been able to detect a pattern in this yet.

It *feels* quicker than Firefox, and the different appearance is livable. I may stick with Brave.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Brave quirk within Linux Mint: the "Post a Reply" window doesn't close on its own after posting the reply.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I am trying the Quick Reply suggested by mbinky. I have never noticed it before, or used it. It seems to be working, in the sense of allowing quick reply, but is hardly adequate. No replies, quoting, etc. editing, or other features I use often.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I'm running Brave now, but some sites are having problems. On Foxnews, none of the images load, and Amazon isn't loading either.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same problem with the iPad, now using Quick Reply. Will click on "use full posting form" next

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"Use Full Posting Form" doesn't work. Also using the Reply button at top of page instead of bottom doesn't work. Hope these are just teething problems with a young browser.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Unblocking pop-ups didn't work either.

Interesting: hitting edit post works just fine.
I joined the Brave Community and posted a post regarding this problem.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
downloaded it and installing on my laptop

I have been using Tor for awhile but its not entirely seamless in use - but it is more secure

the nice thing is that company's are starting to come out with browsers that respect privacy

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I tried the Brave browser for a day or so and I have concluded that it's not quite ready for prime time.

One big issue so far, and a handful of smaller ones.

The big one: My bank's (credit union's) website. Monthly statements are PDF format. Brave whines that the statement is not formatted properly for PDF. I have not had any similar complaints with any other browser that I have tried.

Smaller ones: Every other browser will let me right-click on a tab and offer the option of moving this tab to a new window. Not Brave.

Address completion. Brave chooses to march to its own drummer. Does not do address completion the way that most other browsers do.

SIGforum "Post A Reply" behavior is sort of non-standard, as others have pointed out.

I have returned to my Old Stand-By browser for Mac: Safari. Everything works exactly the way I expect it to, and it's well supported in terms of plug-ins.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I downloaded Brave and am using it now. It is so much faster that ie and firefox. I learn great things here on sigforum. John

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I tried the Brave browser for a day or so and I have concluded that it's not quite ready for prime time.

One big issue so far, and a handful of smaller ones.

The big one: My bank's (credit union's) website. Monthly statements are PDF format. Brave whines that the statement is not formatted properly for PDF. I have not had any similar complaints with any other browser that I have tried.

Smaller ones: Every other browser will let me right-click on a tab and offer the option of moving this tab to a new window. Not Brave.

Address completion. Brave chooses to march to its own drummer. Does not do address completion the way that most other browsers do.

SIGforum "Post A Reply" behavior is sort of non-standard, as others have pointed out.

I have returned to my Old Stand-By browser for Mac: Safari. Everything works exactly the way I expect it to, and it's well supported in terms of plug-ins.

Also for me I found that I had to keep logging back into SIGforum if I've been inactive on the browser for a little while. That was a bit annoying. Is that a cookies issue? So I'm using it for most websites right now but not all, namely SIGforum.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Won't download on Samsung tab s2. Have Android 7 with updates current. Good fast Wi-Fi connection. Have restarted the s2 several times and tried numerous times over last 2 days. Ideas?

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post