SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to cut and re-seal/fuse nylon?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to cut and re-seal/fuse nylon? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi guys,

I have a nylon pocket organizer from Skinth Solutions like the ones seen here:

http://skinthsolutions.com/pro...llel-pocket-panel-3/

It's a wonderful, useful product I wear every day. The problem is that the bottom corners of the nylon pouch are getting curled up from daily wear in my pants pocket, and its starting to print a bit more thru my pants.

I thought I'd perhaps try cutting off the curled, stitched corners and somehow melt them to seal the rounded corners again. Has anyone done something like this before and if so, what process would you recommend?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I have successfully shortened and sealed the ends of nylon webbing, such as that used for tie-down straps.

Select an OLD knife... heat it over the gas flame on your cook top until it is very hot and immediately press it firmly where you want the cut/sealing process to occur.

Getting the knife "red hot" is best, but many of us do not have that capability at home unless you have a good torch.

It will stink to high heaven, so do it outside or your wife will hate you! Also, do not use her favorite knife! Eek

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsmack:
Also, do not use her favorite knife!

Why? She'd use yours.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it once and it turned out great. At the army surplus store I found some brand new German Flectarn camo dual 5.56 magazine pouches, beautiful. Took one home and it was too long for my 20 round mags and too short for my 30 round mags. After wondering what to do for a while, I finally decided to cut it down to fit the 20 round mags. Used the hot knife to cut, used a flame to seal and crimped with a pair of pliers while hot and then added some brads along the bottom for strength. Took me a long time as I wanted to do it right. Later as I was putting it into my safe, I was moving my 25 round H&K 5.56 mags to make room for the mag pouch when it dawned on me. !!! Went back to the surplus store and, of course, no more of those mag pouches.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cndrdk,

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by dsmack:
Also, do not use her favorite knife!

Why? She'd use yours.

You now know why I'm divorced! Wink

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post