SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stephen Hawking argues time did not begin with the Big Bang. It was just going in a different direction.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stephen Hawking argues time did not begin with the Big Bang. It was just going in a different direction. Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Fascinating stuff and a potential game changer. I'm not quite sure how God factors into this theory. Wink

http://www.news.com.au/technol...3eab2e8b92b9b974010b

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
In that time, there was a singularity in which that all matter existed. And the laws of physics were confounded and confused. It was chaos.

Then Daylight Savings Time was added and shit just blew the fuck up, and here we are, still dealing with all that mess...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then Daylight Savings Time was added and shit just blew the fuck up, and here we are, still dealing with all that mess...

Coming this Sunday to a time zone near you! Eek

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"There’s no raw physics that supports his idea. Yet. But Hawking’s insight has proven right before."

That's everything you need to know. Speculation and fantasy from a guy who has recently started offering up his stupid fucking political opinions, and if never again I read anything he writes or is written about him, it'll be too soon.

But you fans of Hawking need not fret. Apparently, this guy is never fucking going to die. He'll just keep shrinking until he becomes a singularity.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
There’s no raw physics that supports his idea. Yet.

What we do know is that when it comes to the Big Bang — and black holes — our understanding of physics breaks down.
Its entertaining reading, but reality is far simpler. We (the human race) want to understand the big picture for the universe, but are too insignificant to even grasp its most basic attributes. We don't have a clue today, and in millions of years (assuming we don't exterminate ourselves) we still won't have a clue. And that's just fine. Get up every day, feel the sum on your face and the wind in your hair, and enjoy the incredibly short time we all have here. The answers to the big questions are beyond us, and irrelevant.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hawking might have been a genius at one time, but his speculations about what happened around the Big Bang are just silly fantasies at this point.

Might as well just say that God said "let here be light." it is just as factually accurate.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I forget what documentary I was watching but a few years back a physicist basically said Hawking is considered amateur at best in the community. He is famous for being disabled more than His brains. He seeks out celebrity status.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Much like a maggot endeavoring to understand the origins of the pile shit it was born in.

Then there’s that whole time change thing...

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I agree with you guys about Hawking, and don't consider myself a fan. However, it's guys like him that typically tap the initial insight that starts a whole new theory and line of thought on some profound concepts. Whether this one will have legs or not remains to be seen. Proving this one could prove time consuming. Big Grin

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
The "Void" which is as much an entity as the matter it contains; where did it come from?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Much of we know about major cosmic events is theoretical. The behavior of black holes specifically is completely within that category, and seems to change constantly, depending on who is presenting the information. Anything coming from Hawkings mouth-machine included.

Para- "Apparently, this guy is never fucking going to die. He'll just keep shrinking until he becomes a singularity"

Hahaha, you owe me one Dell monitor Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Truth is, he doesn't know. Nobody knows. We each speculate with our own biases superimposed. He has faith in his own understanding. He may not call it faith, but that is what it is. I have faith that a divine hand created all. I may not understand how, but I believe I know why. I think Hawking is facing the inevitability of his demise and trying to find the reason in it. I think he'd be less hopeless if he had spiritual faith. Instead he must rely on his own speculation based on science and observation of processes. I Believe science is God's method and processes are His actions.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:

Might as well just say that God said "let here be light." it is just as factually accurate.

Sounds like the Big Bang Theory actually.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Hawking does this from time to time. A while back he developed a formula showing the graph of the universe over time as not <, showing a singularity, but more like half an oval on it's side. He claimed that if you go backward in time far enough you start going forward again.

A few folks noticed that his formula used imaginary numbers. When real numbers are used in his formula instead, the graph snaps back to < showing the singularity.

When asked about this his response was "I don't use real numbers because I don't know what reality is." Phony

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
How can we try to comprehend the beginning of time and the universe as it existed billions and billions of years ago.

We cannot even prove the existence of dark matter and it supposedly makes up the bulk of matter in our current universe.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
The "Void" which is as much an entity as the matter it contains; where did it come from?
It's like Einstein said : The only reality is the Field. Where did it come from? From Tommy Aquinas Prime Movers, the best moving company in the whole Universe. You know their motto: Prime Movers- Always the first. Still the best.

"Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'." - Billy Preston

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
In that time, there was a singularity in which that all matter existed. And the laws of physics were confounded and confused. It was chaos.

You forgot the disastrous effect of British Double Summer Time and the unraveling of the international date line.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post