SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harbor Freight chainsaws recalled
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harbor Freight chainsaws recalled Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Birdvol:
Are they chinese made?

Yes. The workers name is Sum Ting Wong.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I equate buying a chainsaw from Harbor Freight to buying a knockoff pistol from a Pakistani gunsmith in the back alley of a street market.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy chainsaws at Harbor Freight all the time. I get my health advice from people at the bus stop too. When it comes to safety, I always get the cheapest tool I can find.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has to be the first time in history that something from Harbor Freight worked longer then desired.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Only a complete moron would buy an electric chain saw from Harbor Freight for $50.

With weekend sales and my stash of coupons, I got mine for $34.95.

So far, so good.

Big Grin

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Birdvol:
Are they chinese made?

I'm in tears crying. Laugh out fucking loud!! Thanks for the laugh and tears!!! Big Grin Big Grin

The manager of the factory was just fired. His name is Bang Ding Ow.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
You guys are missing the point. Even if the HF chainsaw isn't going to last real long, HTF do you injure yourself because it doesn't turn off? At some point, user error is the real problem. You could hand me pistols all day long that have faulty parts and I wouldn't shoot myself with them by accident.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 4in grinder for $10 has been awesome. $12 for a 1/2in hammer drill that has lasted for far longer than the one job.

Pneumatic tools? Meh, not so much.

I certainly agree there’s some operator culpability in the story as relayed.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Last week I handled 2 weed wackers, gas powered, one made by Murrey and the other Hyper Tough. They were identical. That Hyper Tough junk is sold by W Mart and Sams. They make saws, car jacks, pressure washers, all sorts of products we cant possibly make here in America. Their china made junk gets store returned by the millions and bought up by the Gaylord on pallets, to be resold at Flea Markets. Its all a waste of the dollar. Junk I say.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
You guys are missing the point. Even if the HF chainsaw isn't going to last real long, HTF do you injure yourself because it doesn't turn off? At some point, user error is the real problem.

While true, it's also true that a chainsaw is one of the most dangerous power tools you can use. For that reason, ISTM if behooves you to choose the best, most reliable product possible.

If I make a mistake with one of my chainsaws ( two Stihls and a Tanaka), I expect that, when I release the trigger or engage the kick-back brake, the chain will stop.

I also expect that, because they're better-made tools, they're less inclined to bind, or otherwise get me into the kind of trouble that might result in an accident.

But I also wear boots, chaps and a face-guard helmet with integral hearing protection when I use those saws.

I don't believe in gambling with power tools.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
"But I also wear boots, chaps and a face-guard helmet with integral hearing protection when I use those saws."

Me too, and I see my neighbors very often using chain saws with zero safety gear, not even ear pro...dumb.

But my C.S. is a Husky - still going strong after 12 yeas.

P.S. I use only pre-oiled gas (or whatever it's called) not wanting to mix oil and gas. Yes, it's costly stuff, but it has a 2 year shelf life and works like charm.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My dad bought an oscillating saw from China Freight. It literally lasted for seven cuts before it stopped oscillating.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, that sounds damn dangerous even if it worked correctly.

As we all know, the correct ways to stop a running chainsaw are to jam it blade first into the dirt or toss it into a body of water.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I have various harbor freight tools but a chainsaw is not one of them.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
In case you've never been to a developing country...

Harbor Freight actually smells like many developing countries, including the industrializing portions of China.

The first time I went into a Harbor Freight, the smell immediately triggered memories of my visits to Vietnam and China.

That's not far from the truth. Same goes in reverse. If you pack your luggage, go to a third world country, open your luggage for the first time after a couple of days, you get a whiff of distinctly "American" coming out of your luggage.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Far out

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post