SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tucker Carlson Debates Professor on Berkeley Speech Policy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tucker Carlson Debates Professor on Berkeley Speech Policy Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Well, it's sort of a debate. The professor pretty much cowers behind meaningless drivel about subjective feelings regarding some vague notion that Ann Coulter is unsuitable to speak at Berkeley. I guess that's the best he can do to try to put a positive spin on the fascism that's going on there.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/541...0001/?#sp=show-clips

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmanic,

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Nobody seems to actually know what fascism is, or was, but they all agree it was dreadful.

Are they sure they have the spelling right?

Maybe it is fecism they are thinking of.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I love what I call his "DAFUQ? face"

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
He's not a Berkley professor. He's an assistant prof of English from Colby College in Maine.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's not a Berkley professor. He's an assistant prof of English from Colby College in Maine.

Oops, you're right! I screwed that one up. Just fixed it.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Listening to Tucker a bit more than usual this week - he's pretty good.

Last night he was asking why the goobermint should pay for the arts instead of paying for students to be exposed to say NASCAR (automobile engineering) or fly-fishing (conservation and appreciation of the environment).

Followed up with why the goobermmint should pay for it instead of those who have profited from it (actors, directors, and such).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Listening to Tucker a bit more than usual this week - he's pretty good.

Last night he was asking why the goobermint should pay for the arts instead of paying for students to be exposed to say NASCAR (automobile engineering) or fly-fishing (conservation and appreciation of the environment).

Followed up with why the goobermmint should pay for it instead of those who have profited from it (actors, directors, and such).

I say this show, and thought that Tucker did a good job with it. He made some very good points. I have to admit, that Tim Daly held his ground pretty well.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Nobody seems to actually know what fascism is, or was, but they all agree it was dreadful.

Are they sure they have the spelling right?

Maybe it is fecism they are thinking of.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Debate?

If that was debate, Eskimos debate baby seals.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The basis for shutting down free speech is that in 2008 the Democrat Party became a cult. Obama was "The Messiah." He made claims that went far beyond the realm of politics, and entered the domain of messianic salvation: He would heal the planet. Ponder that a moment. He would stop the rise of sea levels. --By walking on the waters? Social justice warriors, his disciples, would eliminate every manner of inequality and injustice in America.

This is a thumb-nail sketch not of a political party, but of a Utopian cult, built around a charismatic personality.

Cults do not debate their beliefs. Try to debate a Scientologist. Political Correctness is the controlling mechanism to insure that "hostile" questions are not raised, opposing beliefs are not aired. When that does not suffice, they resort to outright intimidation and violence.

The First Amendment has no place in the world of the cultist.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I have to admit, that Tim Daly held his ground pretty well.

Yes he did. And he made some good points regarding the "arts" that I can't disagree with.

But, I still don't believe that we should be funding it at the expense of other critical issues.

I donate to causes in my profession and "artists" should do the same. It is not incumbent on me to support an up and coming actor, comedian, dancer, or whatever. The Arts are an important part of our culture. But...priorities. With unlimited funding? Sure, toss a few bucks their way. With us $20T in debt? Not so much.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tucker is usually better than that and his guest really wasn't one of the usual nutjobs trying 'shut it down'.

He had a simple argument, Ann Coulter is not smart enough to speak on campuses, so her speech needs to be shut down because she's no smarter than some idiot on the innerwebz.

Why didn't he ask for how he determined she's so unqualified to speak there, and what other speakers need to be stopped due to not meeting his or university standards.

Wonder how many other idiots graduate from Cornell, then get JD and pass bar?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find Tucker Carlson unwatchable . Every show degenerates into a shouting match. Poor substitute for commentary by the likes of Dr. Krauthammer and Brit Hume .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
The basis for shutting down free speech is that in 2008 the Democrat Party became a cult. Obama was "The Messiah." He made claims that went far beyond the realm of politics, and entered the domain of messianic salvation: He would heal the planet. Ponder that a moment. He would stop the rise of sea levels. --By walking on the waters? Social justice warriors, his disciples, would eliminate every manner of inequality and injustice in America.

This is a thumb-nail sketch not of a political party, but of a Utopian cult, built around a charismatic personality.

Cults do not debate their beliefs. Try to debate a Scientologist. Political Correctness is the controlling mechanism to insure that "hostile" questions are not raised, opposing beliefs are not aired. When that does not suffice, they resort to outright intimidation and violence.

The First Amendment has no place in the world of the cultist.

This is really well stated.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
If they are truly a cult, I am all for a white tennis shoe and grape cool aid "go fund me" page to support their cause.

What time does Hale-Bopp swing by again?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick a moment when the colleges lost control, it was a few months ago when Milo was to speak at Berkeley.
The college, and their local police department, allowed the left wing anarchists to start burning things, smashing windows and other violent acts without any push back at all. Now anything less than that type of violent reaction to a person they disagree with is seen as moderate.
The left loves to use the word fascist and Nazi but they are now the brown shirts of the current era.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The left loves to use the word fascist and Nazi but they are now the brown shirts of the current era.

Watch the video posted above.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just listened to him discuss May Day with a participant.

Not certain if Tucker asked questions in the correct order if the other person was talking in circles with the ending of "I discuss economics with you" but yet avoiding those questions.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post