SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do RFID blocking wallets, wallet size cards work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do RFID blocking wallets, wallet size cards work? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
Been reading online about RFID wallets and RFID cards that you put in your wallet next to your credit cards so as to block someone from using a RFID scanner and getting your cc info. I read that you better get it asap or your bank account will be emptied soon, then I read the tech is not availible at all. What say the forum. Bullshit or not.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do they work? Yes, they do block the RFID signal.

Are they needed? Probably not.

The RFID used in credit cards has an extremely limited range of a couple inches. And there are other safeguards in use to prevent RFID-skimmed CC info from being abused by a scammer, like single-used rotating codes and CVV numbers printed on the back.

Besides, RFID credit cards are less common these days, especially in the US.

So even if you do happen to have a RFID-enabled credit card, the scammer has to be right on top of you to get a reading, and chances are it wouldn't do them much good even if they did.

It's a relatively small risk. Your CC info is much more likely to be compromised in other ways.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I have an RFID blocking wallet. It works - I have to open it to scan my work badge to get on & off site.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’ve never heard/read of any credible reports of actual, real-world RFID identity or credit card theft.

Figured it was just an, “omg, this COULD happen” sorta thing, but never really has. I could be wrong.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
When we travelled to Russia. I bought a RFID blocking sleeve and RFID blocking wallet. Nothing happened. Which is like proving a negative.

Later found that they work but there’s little threat.
https://www.csoonline.com/arti...blocking-wallet.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's little threat. But if there were, s couple pieces of aluminum foil in your wallet would probably work as well.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Still using the one I bought when I lived in Can-eh-duh. My Canadian credit cards had the security chip at one end, and on the other end had an RFID chip. Worked like Apple pay where you only needed to be an inch or two away from the cc machine. One of the protection was dollar value was limited to similar amounts to items you don’t have to sign for (In Canada, it was the superior 4 digit pin instead of the meaningless signature).

None of my US cards have the RFID chip.

IME, in the US a scammer wouldn’t get much bang for buck walking through a crowded place with a proximity reader. In Canada, they might be able to some info but without the 4 digit pin they’re limited to low dollar amounts.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Remember, with credit cards you report the fraud, they turn the card off, send you another, and you are not liable for the fraudulent charges. Debit cards would be a bigger problem...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post