SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Telephone scams: I receive at least one call per day...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telephone scams: I receive at least one call per day... Login/Join 
Picture of gentleone
posted
Hi folks. I'm wondering if you get these calls too.

The first type claims that the IRS has filed a lawsuit against us. The wording each time varies, but it's something like:

"I am calling from the Treasury Department in Washington DC. My ID number is blah blah...There is currently a law suit against you..."

OR

The second type I've encountered basically states that the security of my computer may have been compromised, or that there's a virus on my computer:

"I am calling from your computer security company. We have detected that your computer is at risk..."

Sometimes I play along with them, other times I directly ask them if it's a scam.

Do you folks get these calls? Any interesting stories to tell?

-Kevin

Posts: 485 | Location: SE Houston, TX | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Land line or cell? There's an App out called "Nomorobo" that's worth the whopping $1.25 per month. It blocks a lot of this garbage. I've been using it on my iPhone and am happy with it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you folks get these calls?

Have no idea. I never answered them.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
Yep, get them on a daily basis here. How to lower payments on my student loan (fat chance, I'm 53), alarm system, even the "we're coming to gitcha" IRS scam (I did have some fun with this one).

Most of them on my work cell so I have to answer and yeah it's on the do not call list.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I string them along. Usually I send unknown numbers to voicemail and block.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I don't know, I automatically block any number that is 'unknown' or who blocks their caller ID information and I never answer a call from a number I don't know. I rarely get calls from numbers I don't know any more.

The more you answer the more your number gets shared with other spammers. By answering you confirm that your number is 'live' and it becomes a valuable asset for them to sell to other spammers.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I actually kinda wish I did get those calls. I've only received one scam call. A Indian dude said he was "calling about my computer" and immediately hung up after I told him I don't have a computer and that computers suck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't answer my land line, let my machine screen all calls, most hang up when the machine kicks in. If it's a important call they will leave a message.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I get between two to 10 daily on my cell phone. I don't answer them but I now they're scams.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2245 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
For cell phone users, install Hiya and participate by reporting these calls. It really cuts down on the scam calls.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Tuesday I get a call originating from Pennsylvania about a car warranty, been getting them regularly since we bought the car 4 years ago but what was funny was an hour later same phone call, same taped message but this one originating in New Hampshire. A few days before same call originating from New York. Either they sell the scam to other con artist or the caller was using some type of spoofing device.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Had the IRS version. The dot tells me the cops are gonna come if I don't pay. I told him I probably know them so go ahead and send em over. Big Grin

There is an ex FBI forensic guy at work. They called him too and he laughed and ejumacated the idiot and said IRS doesn't have officers they have agents, one is sworn in the other isn't. Guess which one? And hung up the phone.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I might be getting those calls. I don't know, as I don't answer calls from other than family, friends or business associates. On my "land line" (actually a VOIP), caller ID comes up on the TV.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
These guys are fun...

It is a personal hobby to screw with them.

So far, my personal records, are to keep "Rachel" from "Cardmember Services" on the phone for about 35 minutes..

I've had the last idiot from "Windows Tech Support" on the phone for over an hour. A LONG... FRUSTRATING... HOUR... for him at least...

I had it on speaker laughing at him.

If I could, I'd get a cell phone number dedicated to screwing with these assclowns...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One call I got on the VOIP a couple of days ago was not the usual, it was a toll-free number. So I answered it, and it was legit - one of my credit card companies notifying me of almost half a grand in fraudulent charges ... one of which was a "Microsoft Store." Is there even such a thing? That was the one they declined.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Yup, me too! I must say I REALLY have some evil fun screwing with these guys, especially when I was talking about their Mama!!!!!!!!! Fucking assholes!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Do you folks get these calls?

Have no idea. I never answered them.

Yeah, this. I'm amazed that with caller ID nowadays anyone would his phone when he didn't know who was calling. Boggles me mind it does.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wonder what kind of "'success' rate" is acceptable for scam callers and telemarketers. One in 25? Fifty? A hundred? Whatever it is, they obviously think it worth their while.

Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I get the car warranty calls on my cell all the time...always a different number and area code.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post