SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good bye for now? Suzuki Hayabusa reaches end of the road.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good bye for now? Suzuki Hayabusa reaches end of the road. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Almost 20 years after its introduction the mighty Suzuki Hayabusa has reached the end of the road. Unable to pass new European emission regulations and already being badly in need of a complete refresh made it an expected move in my opinion.

Given the success of supercharged Kawasaki H2 I cant help but think Suzuki will introduce some form of supercharged or turbo charged bike in the next two years to replace the Hayabusa.

Link to article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I loved my Busa while I had it. It is a great bike.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
An amazing bike for its time.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't ride a Busa, you wear it. I rode my buddy's a couple of times. Amazing, but too much ball for my alley.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1993 ZX-11C Ninja and it was the legit fastest production bike on the market (until the D came out of course). All the markings were stickers and I promptly peeled them off so the CBR900 guys would leave me alone Big Grin

Then this damn thing came on the scene... the Busa was one smooth machine.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
The falcon will return I'm sure. I can't really think of a more iconic rice rocket.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It had its’ day. Hopefully they’ll introduce some great handling with whatever they bring next.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to upgraded frame geometry, carbon fiber, titanium and other exotica in the refresh.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's literally the antithesis of what I like in motorcycles, but they're fast as shit.

Sucks for the Locost 7 and other kit cars community, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Hayabusa story:

My brother had a Hayabusa. I never accepted his offer to take it for a ride: It scared me. Eventually, it scared him enough for him to trade it off. The kid that ended-up with it rear-ended a pickup at a high rate of speed; his (remains) flew through the cab of the pickup and the front wheel was wrapped around the rear axle of the truck.

I'm more upset about the end of the Kawasaki KLR650.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any bike will only go as fast as you twist the throttle, no need to be afraid so long as you don't exceed your skill level. I own a 2017 ZX14R and love ringing it out every now and then but I also respect the engine and don't get over confident.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
It's literally the antithesis of what I like in motorcycles...

Same with me, and while they are of no interest to me I admire them for what they are and Suzuki for producing it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Not a rice rocket but I read today 2018 may be the last year for the KLR. Frown

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I was always a bigger fan, and proud owner, of the 12r.

It had more superbike handling then the other hyperbikes, albeit, the busa was the straight line leader.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
My Hayabusa story:

My brother had a Hayabusa. I never accepted his offer to take it for a ride: It scared me. Eventually, it scared him enough for him to trade it off. The kid that ended-up with it rear-ended a pickup at a high rate of speed; his (remains) flew through the cab of the pickup and the front wheel was wrapped around the rear axle of the truck.

I'm more upset about the end of the Kawasaki KLR650.

Is it bad that every time I read this and get to “(remains)” that I crack up laughing?

Posts: 518 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's THAT bad.... The third-hand story from the truck driver went like "I saw a headlight in the rear view mirror, looked like it was about a half mile back. Next thing I knew, it felt like an explosion went off in the cab."

The truck driver was lucky.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
46&2 there are other engines on the market that can perform at and often past the Hayabusa’s engine. Kit car companies could probably get by sourcing. s1000RR, ZX14 or Panigale V4s. Yes, it is a wonderful engine Suzuki made and even better with some modifications so it does suck that production is ending. It looks like the US market will have them for sale just a tad longer than those in Europe but with zero new Hayabusa models in production going into 2019 its only a matter of time until they all sell.

By 2020 or 2021 at the latest I think we will see a new forced induction (turbo or supercharged) Hayabusa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a motorcycle road racer and bikes that weigh this much and handle at this level really don't interest me on the surface. But what I ride on the track versus the street is a completely different game. I truly enjoyed owning a blackbird and a hayabusa. For what they are as legal road bikes they were really great. Power beyond belief at literally any rpm and any gear. Effortless highway cruising at speed. Totally bulletproof in stock form. Comfortable. What's not to love. I'm sure there will be some form of followon. I hope it isn't super/turbo charged as at this power point that's simply not necessary. As for the people who use the motor in other applications, the death of the road bike means nothing. There are series that use older motorcycle engines (think legend cars and the Yamaha air cooled motor) and the mfg. are normally willing to supply if you can commit to some volume.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I watched a dude do donuts and such in a parking lot in a Locost7 with a Busa motor. It was impressive, performance wise, but sounded weird hearing that sound from a car format.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Stickman, is that 2008 Blue/Gold yours?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post