SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Either use an ad-blocker or an ad-blocking web browser like Brave

I really like Brave.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic, did you receive my email reply? I'm having issues with my email settings again. If not, I'll resend via the web form.

I've deleted Instagram after requesting my photos. Working on Facebook next. Baby steps.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
ensigmatic, did you receive my email reply?

Yes, I did. Thank you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
3 twitter accounts deactivated. It takes 1 month for the deactivation to become completely deleted.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just wrote a friend who is pastor of a little church in Maui, whose services we watch Sundays—on Facebook. Asked him if they could find an alternative source. I know he agrees with me completely on politics, so maybe he will think about it, but doubt they will drop FB.

Regarding Amazon: I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Regarding Apple: Apple’s recent cross-tracking blockers in Safari are causing lots of problems for Google and Facebook. Apple’s business model depends on their prioritizing security, not selling customers’ information. So form that standpoint we should be supporting Apple IMO. I know what they did to Parler was awful, and probably illegal; I will support Parler in any lawsuit they bring. Apple’s shareholder meeting is February 23. Would love to see an investor uprising to quell the wokeyness.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Bongino's show today

Rumble

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Regarding Amazon: I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Neither will we. I'm not killing my Amazon account, but merely dropping Prime. The streaming can be replaced by something else. We'd already been actively avoiding Amazon for purchases--we'll just double-down on that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here’s some good news, potentially:

Link

quote:
The Guy Who Built The World Wide Web Is Building A 'New Internet', Where You Control Your Data
Gwyn D'Mello Updated on Oct 01, 2018, 16:55 IST

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know Tim Berners-Lee is a pretty important dude in the technology world. He's the father of the Internet, responsible for the birth of the World Wide Web as we know it.

And he hates what it has become. So he's taking some action to fix it.

You see, for years now Berners-Lee has expressed his distaste at how major corporations have taken what was supposed to be a free environment and placed restrictions on it. He doesn’t like how groups like Facebook, Google, and Amazon have effectively centralized the Internet, nor how they control people’s data. So he’s instead working on a new platform and startup that’s declaring war on Big Tech.

Inrupt is a startup that Berners-Lee has been working on in stealth for about nine months. He’s even taken a sabbatical from his prestigious position teaching at MIT’s CSAIL labs in order to work full time. And Inrupt will finally launch to the world this week, Berners-Lee told Fast Company in an exclusive interview.

“The intent is world domination,” he says.

Inrupt is built on the ‘Solid’ platform, something he and others at MIT have been working on for years. Solid is basically designed to be like the early days of the Internet, wild and free, and Inrupt will be the way to access it, at least to start. In a demonstration for the piece, he pulled up what looked like a very basic browser page, completely barebones. Part of an app built for his personal use, it displays his calendar, address book, chats, his music etc. It’s like if you combined Google Drive with WhatsApp, Spotify, and pretty much every piece of cloud storage and online connectivity you use today, all in one place. The difference here is that all the information is under his control.

Taking back the Internet

The basic idea is that each user is assigned a Solid ID and Solid pod when they first come online on the platform, that can be hosted wherever you want. Pod here stands for personal data store, which is what it does. Instead of apps like Google Drive, where your data is stored on the company’s server and therefore subject to their data harvesting. On Solid however, all your data exists in your Solid pod. When an app requests access, Solid will authenticate and then you can choose to give it access to your pod.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have facebook (wife does). I use twitter off and on but not a big user in any way. I frequent a couple forums like SigForum but that's it.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Here’s some good news, potentially:

Link

What came of this? That article is from Oct 2018, no?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
stoic-one, it was just linked today and to be honest I didn't check the date. My bad.

OK try this: Forbes published an article about how to take down Twitter (financially). They think they took it down, but it's still up there on Reader View. The idiots.

quote:
Twitter Is The Worst Company On Planet Earth. Here’s How To Bet Against The Stock—and Deactivate Your Account
Jim Collins10:49am EST
It is rare a that a public company stretches so far into the realm of abhorrent behavior, but Twitter's TWTR -2.1% actions last week revulsed me more than Union Carbide’s Bhopal, Boeing's BA -0.3% repeated failures with the 787 Max, J&J’s JILL +3.5% Tylenol scandal and really any other corporate action I have seen in my lifetime.

Twitter permanently suspends Trump's account
ANKARA, TURKEY - JANUARY 09: In this photo illustration, a laptop screen displays the logo of ... [+]
Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
For a social media platform to censor a world leader—while still giving a voice to preachers of hate like Louis Farrakhan Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei and even O.J. Simpson—isn’t just wrong from a free speech perspective, it's actually terrible business. So, Twitter has shown little to no sequential growth in its user base of late (details below) but it is still valued like its Big Tech growth-y brethren. Twitter is not growing, it is shrinking, if measured versus the growth rate of the global economy, and that reduction will accelerate dramatically now that Twitter has offended every Conservative in America with its action to ban President Trump. Only fools in Congress and Big Tech apologists would think that Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act should apply to Twitter. It is a publisher, not a platform. Full stop.

So, first and foremost, here is how to deactivate your Twitter account. I used this excellent article from the Today show last week to kill my account. It took me more than half an hour, and making it difficult to leave is a classic Big Tech strategy for bolstering user numbers, but eventually I succeeded. It was worth it. I will never use that platform again.

But I do stocks, not activism, and even if a new type of conscious capitalism is my investment strategy for 2021, I still need to make some money. Twitter shares are plunging 7% in pre-market trading Monday, and the market will soon realize that this platform is going to shrink dramatically. Even on a good day, Twitter is a cesspool of hate speech, lies (including investment advice) and a “trending" algorithm that seems to have a remarkably consistent left-wing bias. I will not be the last person to cancel it.

I have never interacted with an ad on Twitter (or Facebook) and I would never spend a dime with a company that tried to reach me through a private social media channel. I don't do “cancel culture” but I believe Twitter will become radioactive for advertisers, as half the US is revolted by what they have done, and that’s not good for business.

Twitter's self-reported user base grew at a whopping 1% sequentially in 3Q20, with 1% growth internationally and 0% in the U.S. The comparisons were much better on a year-on-year basis (+29% overall) but remember that 2020 was an extraordinary year for news flow. But Twitter is not news. I think that Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey is a pathological liar as well as a horrible human being, so I don't believe Twitter’s user numbers at all. The mDAU metric that Twitter now uses reflects, and clearly they will keep changing metrics until they find one that looks decent. This is a classic Big Tech maneuver.

In dollars, though, Twitter generated $936 million (million, not billion, this is a small company) in revenues in the third quarter and produced a very low (for Big Tech) 6% operating margin and 3% net margin. So, after a whopping $1 billion loss in Q2, Twitter recovered to make $28 million in the third quarter. Wow! That’s just...irrelevant.

With negative free cash flow of $74 million in Q3, but $7.6 billion of cash and securities on the balance sheet, Twitter is worth more than zero, but extraordinarily less than the $51.48 per share the market was according TWTR stock Friday. Yes, we have completely forgotten how to value stocks. Twitter is not the only one but it is the easy one.

With earnings power of less than $1 billion (TWTR reported net income of $1.469 billion in 2019 and will be nowhere near that in 2020) I think this is a steady-state stock. No growth, no dividend, and no free cash flow to speak of. That doesn't deserve even a market multiple, but since it’s tech, let’s give TWTR the insane 25x real earnings power that the S&P 500 is granted. So, add about $5 billion cash (net of debt,) a real cash earnings power of about $750 annually and use the 800 million shares outstanding as of 9/30 and you get a fair value for Twitter of just below $30 per share. But Twitter's user base has shrunk dramatically in the past week, I believe, and so $30 is really more of a best-case scenario on earnings power that won't exist with a smaller user base.

So, let’s say someone thought TWTR's fair value was in the high-$20s and would pay $20 for TWTR, to imply an attractive return, and use that as our share price target, That implies a decline of more than 50% from current levels. How long will it take to get there? Not long in my opinion. Plus, when trading options, you have to take into account the overreaction that always occurs with an inflective event. Do I think Twitter shares will trade below $20, at least temporarily at some point between now and the end of March? Hell, yeah.

So, when searching for that perfect option contract, always look for one with a decent amount of contracts outstanding (which implies a more efficiently-priced contract) and a relatively low implied volatility, I see March 19th 2021 TWTR $25 puts quoted at $0.13 this morning, and, man, I gotta get me some of that. Pre-market quotes are notoriously unreliable for deep-out-of-the-money options contracts, so let the market open and let it trade a little before you buy, That's what I will do today for my personal account and for my most risk-aware clients.

So, that’s how to make money betting against Twitter. The new conscious capitalism of 2021 entails fighting Big Tech censorship and the monopolistic power that those companies wield. Not only is Jack Dorsey at Twitter a revolting human stain (as proven by this Congressional testimony and takedown by Senator Ted Cruz) his company isn't that big or growing that fast—and is about to shrink. I am uncomfortable sometimes with Amazon's AMZN +0.6% power, but I won't be unsubscribing from Prime any time soon, and I don't have the guts to bet against Jeff Bezos' stock. But Dorsey is not Bezos and TWTR is no AMZN.

Twitter is a faux-tech outfit with no competitive moat and a customer base filled with—it would seem—idiots. It’s too small to be considered Big Tech, but the media has given it outsized influence. Only you and I can fight that war and destroy Twitter's base. So, delete your account, and short the stock. Making money while doing the right thing feels extra good...doesn't it?

Link to Reader View

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This doesn't bode well for knocking Twitter down: Parler has been deplatformed and Gab is so overwhelmed I haven't been able to bring up a page all day long Frown

posted Hide Post
Trying to stop using YouTube as much as possible. Move to other platforms
https://odysee.com/@RobBraxman...rse-Things-Coming):0
Real good guy talking about your privacy stuff

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Me and my wife both deleted our Facebook accounts just now.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me and my wife both deleted our Facebook accounts just now.

One of my best friends messaged me this morning that he'd deleted his Amazon AWS service.

posted Hide Post
I sold my stock positions in Amazon and Google last week. I didn't have any Facebook or Twitter stock. I've kept my Apple stock and my iPhone.

I deleted my FB account a couple of years ago. Never had a Twitter account.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sadly, it looks like Gab has become thoroughly unusable. I know why, but that doesn't change the unfortunate reality.

All this morning the site, after taking forever-in-a-day to refresh, has repeatedly logged me out. I'm not logging back in a fourth time. Tried to post exactly once. Looked like it took it, then, a half-hour later or so, it showed up with the "Post" button again. Hit refresh on the browser. I was logged back out again.

If they don't fix this soon they'll lose most of what they've gained and people will just go back to Twatter, FakeBook, and Instacrap

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We've just bitten the biggest of bullets. We cancelled Amazon Prime which we had used all the time.

Edit - next I'm switching my business email from google/gmail to Proton mail.

Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly, it looks like Gab has become thoroughly unusable. I know why, but that doesn't change the unfortunate reality.

It's still slow, but becoming somewhat more usable now.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've just bitten the biggest of bullets. We cancelled Amazon Prime which we had used all the time.

Yeah, we use it all the time, too. Our annual subscription doesn't run out until May, so we'll continue using it until then. Then we'll replace it with HBO or Disney or something.

ETA: I'll be cancelling Apple+ when the free subscription runs out, too. I really wanted to follow The Morning Show in the worst way, but I don't want to give Apple any more money than I "have" to. I "need" a smartphone, tablet, and streaming devices. In this respect I regard Apple as the least of the evils. But I don't need Apple+.

quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
quote:

It's still slow, but becoming somewhat more usable now.

That's good to see. I'm actually a paid user.

Also a paid user at WeMe. I'm thinking about becoming a paid user at Rumble, but their minimum subscription is $10/mo. A bit steep for as much as I'd use it.