SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Fuck Instagram, fuck Facebook and fuck the Diaz brothers. I bury those cock a roaches! What they ever do for us?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Y'all deleting your accounts makes no sense to me, ...

I can easily see how that would be

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have twitter because I don't want to give them my phone number. The only thing I have is FB. Y'all deleting your accounts makes no sense to me, you are censoring yourself. If you want to protest don't quit, instead post whatever you feel like, even if they ban you for 12hrs, 24hrs, three days, a week, a month, whatever. Then when the ban is over keep posting what you believe in.

By quitting you are removing your opinion from the town square, which is exactly what 'they' want. Don't aid them in cutting off discussion, don't end your ability to be heard. If you do want to go out, go out fighting, not quitting.

#BlazeOfGlory

You got a point there BUT quitting Amazon Prime hits their bottom line - hard. They, like Costco, count on membership as a major source of profit.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I've always been against cloud computing from a security standpoint as you lose real control of your data. I guess you also lose control of how you run your business because you let someone else host your data.

Maybe some companies will start going back to running their own data centers.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
You got a point there BUT quitting Amazon Prime hits their bottom line - hard. They, like Costco, count on membership as a major source of profit.

Same thing happens when you quit Facebook, Twitter, etc. Their revenue is generated entirely from membership numbers. Reduced membership numbers = reduced advertising revenue.

His "point" is merely a rationalization, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I've always been against cloud computing from a security standpoint as you lose real control of your data.

That's always been my position. I had the Powers That Be several times in my late career ask me about it. I guess I had above-average smart PHBs runnin' the place, because they got and appreciated the point, when explained to them, right away.

quote:

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it, There's a dearth of truly competent IT people available.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Same thing happens when you quit Facebook, Twitter, etc. Their revenue is generated entirely from membership numbers. Reduced membership numbers = reduced advertising revenue.

His "point" is merely a rationalization, IMO.

quote:
I've always been against cloud computing from a security standpoint as you lose real control of your data.

That's always been my position. I had the Powers That Be several times in my late career ask me about it. I guess I had above-average smart PHBs runnin' the place, because they got and appreciated the point, when explained to them, right away.

quote:

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it, There's a dearth of truly competent IT people available.

My point was to keep a voice on the Twitter, or whatever platform. If you leave you silence yourself, not about affecting their income.

As far as the cloud stuff, please don't have them move in house or do away with, it pays my mortgage. I keep the internet on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's like MFers have forgotten how to dial phones or send emails and texts.

"Convenience" is death by 1000 cuts.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I agree with pulling out of theses social platforms. Taking steps to clean up my usage, have gotten off of FB, twitter. So with big tech controlling every aspect of communication with others, web content, I got thinking my emails based out of gmail. What’s stopping Google from limiting or closing down my emails?

With the attempts to De-platform Parler, religious based programs, conservative voices the Android controlled by Google, Apple phones are controlled by Apple we have backed ourselves into a corner having to use their OS.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
The only reason I have a Twitter account is to follow local breweries for there coming events and latest brews on tap. I started follow President Trump and other conservatives. I haven't deleted my account but I did delete the app.

It's going to be a while before I can cancel the Amazon Prime membership. I've been getting away from using Amazon for a while now but my fiance still orders a lot through subscribe and save, stuff that she can't find locally or is ridiculously priced at chain stores. Once the COVID shutdowns started I've been making it a point to try and find stuff at mom-and-pop shops first to support them and I'm going to start expanding the range that I look now.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point was to keep a voice on the Twitter, or whatever platform.

You mean like James Woods, whose had Twitter remove boatloads of his followers? Like that?

You're rationalizing.

quote:
If you leave you silence yourself, not about affecting their income.

Provably false.
quote:

How Twitter Makes Money
---
Advertising and data licensing are the major sources of revenue

Ref: How Twitter Makes Money
quote:

How Facebook Makes Money
---
Facebook generates most of its revenue from selling advertising space

Ref: How Facebook Makes Money

Take away eyes = reduces value of web real estate = reduces income.

quote:
As far as the cloud stuff, please don't have them move in house or do away with, it pays my mortgage. I keep the internet on.

I highly doubt you need worry about it, but at least now we understand why you're making the arguments your are.

That being said: Just got off the phone with one of my best friends. He's cancelling his Amazon AWS account today and will probably cancel Prime.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
"Convenience" is death by 1000 cuts.

A succinct, and apt, summary.

posted Hide Post
If we don't take the steps, even if it proves to be a bit inconvenient, then this is how they silence us. When Citibank misbehaved (2nd amendment), I cancelled my Costco credit card, losing $34 in the process.

Cancelled Amazon Prime today, and a bit surprising that my family agreed with it. My kid, who's center, agreed immediately with me that this deplatforming is ominous of bad things to come.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been moving this direction for awhile. Maybe today is the day.

Questions:
1) Any idea how I can export a list of my purchase history?

2) Any idea how I can expert a list of my cart?

3) Can I still use my Fire HD tablet and my Fire TV?

When I cancel Prime, do I still have my Amazon account (in which I still have access to #1,2,3 above)? Or am I closing my account as well?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I deleted my Facebook account today. I quit Twitter years ago. I was basically only still on Facebook to follow a handful of friends and MotoGP. When a post of mine got pulled weeks after a race for copyright violations recently I lost all joy and interest in both the next season of MotoGP and Facebook. Good riddance. I’ve slowly been watching all the people who entertain and inform me get deleted anyway.

I harbor the same attitude towards Zuck for 2021.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Interesting article:
https://100percentfedup.com/li...ative-media-options/

Survive The Purge: A List Of Popular Uncensored Alternative Media Options

With the current media purge of conservative, libertarian, independent and non-establishment voices in high gear, we thought it would be beneficial to list some of the alternatives to each globalist media platform. This does not constitute official endorsements and this list is by no means exhaustive. So please do check back to this article for additional sources from time to time.

The great news is, there are many amazing options to stay connected to each other and to the news. They aren’t all as evolved as the multi-billion dollar corporations you are used to, but most are competent technically and already have many users. Also, you may find that some of the platforms provide better functionality than the legacy media you are leaving.

We believe this list is a good start to get the message out as rational free-thinking Americans on all sides of the isle sever their ties to authoritarian anti-speech platforms. But, please leave your favorite additional media sources in the comments so others can stay connected.

Twitter:

Parler: Parler is a Twitter clone run by free-speech advocates. Though Amazon will remove it from its servers, today, because Amazon hates president Trump and free speech. However, its owner, Dan Bongino, says it will be up again within a day on different servers.

Gab

Facebook:

MeWe

Facebook Messenger:

Telegram Messenger: Telegram offers end-to-end encryption of chats and a range of features beyond that of Facebook Messenger that foster community growth and large file uploads. However, it must be noted that some people believe it has connections to Russia. Also, Telegram’s best encryption is opt-in and not automatic, meaning you must specifically select ‘secret encrypted chat’ in order to get the most secure communication. It also has a desktop version to make texting easy from pc to phone.

Signal: Signal is highly recommended and is considered the safest texting app. In addition it has some other functionality and seems to allow larger file transfers than normal texts. It also has a desktop version to make texting easy from pc to phone.

Discord: Is not especially encrypted, but offers communities and servers that are not part of Facebook. It also has a desktop version to make texting easy from pc to phone.

YouTube:

Rumble

Vimeo

Bitchute

Brighteon

Google Search:

Duck Duck Go: A search engine that does not seem to censor or manipulate search engine result like Google. Unlike Google, it also says it doesn’t store your data, as Google does. Try searching for political stories on DuckDuckGo vs. Google. You will see a difference in them, as well as non-political stories which are also manipulated by google.

Web Browser:

Brave Browser: Brave boasts that it is “three times faster than Chrome. Better privacy by default than Firefox. Uses 35% less battery on mobile.” It also supports Tor browser on its desktop app, which helps protect you from the prying eyes of the sites you visit. Its Brave content community is funded via Basic Attention crypto tokens and opt-in ads. These tokens can be purchased on crypto exchanges or gained by choosing to view ads. This is what sustains the Brave business rather than harvesting and theft of all your user data. These tokens can also be given, if the user chooses, to content creators on websites they like. Unlike Google, Brave also says it doesn’t store any of your data.

Fox News:

One America News

New Tang Dynasty

Right Side Broadcasting Network

Epoch Times (Semi-Paid)

Blaze TV (Paid)

Real America’s Voice/War Room Pandemic

NewsMax

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the correct link for legit tor browser? Whenever I search for it I get at least three different sites.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I find element.Im/riot.im interesting. No sure if they work, but I like the idea of hosting a chat service in my own server

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have twitter because I don't want to give them my phone number. The only thing I have is FB. Y'all deleting your accounts makes no sense to me, you are censoring yourself. If you want to protest don't quit, instead post whatever you feel like, even if they ban you for 12hrs, 24hrs, three days, a week, a month, whatever. Then when the ban is over keep posting what you believe in.

By quitting you are removing your opinion from the town square, which is exactly what 'they' want. Don't aid them in cutting off discussion, don't end your ability to be heard. If you do want to go out, go out fighting, not quitting.

#BlazeOfGlory

Skins, you really need to watch a documentary called "Terms and Conditions my apply". It's a very interesting look at how tech companies track people. In the show, it has a young Zuckerberg, not long after he stole the Facebook concept from the original developer. Zuckerberg is on video telling associates to the effect of "These people using the Facebook... They have no idea we're using their personal data and selling it... Dumb Fucks!" So, just so you know and fully understand, Zuckerberg himself considers EVERYONE using Facebook a Dumb Fuck.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here you go, https://www.torproject.org/

Also as Bald1 mentioned-Brave browser has built-in support for Tor.

quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Does anyone have the correct link for legit tor browser? Whenever I search for it I get at least three different sites.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I've been moving this direction for awhile. Maybe today is the day.

Questions:
1) Any idea how I can export a list of my purchase history?

No idea.

quote:
2) Any idea how I can expert a list of my cart?

No idea.

quote:
3) Can I still use my Fire HD tablet and my Fire TV?

Yes.

quote:
When I cancel Prime, do I still have my Amazon account (in which I still have access to #1,2,3 above)? Or am I closing my account as well?

You're just cancelling Prime. Your Amazon account remains otherwise unchanged.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Marriott just threw their name in the hat. They no longer want conservative business. Eff em.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post