SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drug overdose leading cause of death for Americans under 50
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drug overdose leading cause of death for Americans under 50 Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-americans-under-50/

Drug overdose is now the leading cause of death for Americans under the age of 50, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said Tuesday morning

“Fentanyl is especially dangerous. It is 40 to 50 times more deadly than heroin. Just two milligrams, a few grains of salt, an amount you could fit on the tip of your finger, can be lethal. Fentanyl exposure can injure or kill innocent law enforcement officers and first responders. Inhaling a few airborne particles can have dramatic effects,”

Rosenstein, Rosenberg, and their colleagues used the event to roll out new precautions for first responders in dealing with fentanyl. Such measures predominately featured hazmat suits as a means of avoiding airborne inhalation.

China is the major source of Fentanyl that enters America.

Rosenberg pointed out that such statistics tend to “wash over you.” To grasp the enormity of the epidemic he claimed that if three mass-shootings as deadly as the Pulse Nightclub Attack occurred three times every day for 365 days, then the death toll would roughly reach that of drug overdoses in 2015.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You mean 'assault rifles' aren't number one. Shocking.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man that is one sad and pathetic statistic.

Posts: 3993 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
(snip) he claimed that if three mass-shootings as deadly as the Pulse Nightclub Attack occurred three times every day for 365 days, then the death toll would roughly reach that of drug overdoses in 2015.

Dayum! Let that sink in.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5520 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
It's only going to get worse.

Posts: 6398 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
...or better, depending upon your point of view.

There are 7+ billion people in the world. We could do with fewer of the stupider ones.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
They all died in vein....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24552 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

There are 7+ billion people in the world. We could do with fewer of the stupider ones.

I somewhat agree about the addicts, but the first responders getting killed is a bummer.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11079 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
This is one reason why the latest data actually showed a decrease in the average American's life expectancy for the first time since 1993 (when AIDS deaths were peaking).

NPR: Life Expectancy In U.S. Drops For First Time In Decades, Report Finds
NYT: White Americans Are Dying Younger as Drug and Alcohol Abuse Rises

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
quote:

I somewhat agree about the addicts, but the first responders getting killed is a bummer.

I'm actually really curious to see what kind of protocol changes are going to come due to this.

There is already talk of the police not using the narcan they have on-hand on the person who overdosed, but rather keeping it for use on themselves if they accidentally get exposed.

There is also rumors of the possibility of a narcan shortage if this keeps up.

Posts: 6398 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back during Prohibition, it was the bathtub gin, and methyl alcohol that was killing a lot of Americans. Of course, one could buy some interesting drugs over the counter also.

Posts: 6698 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
as I recall, China uses the death penalty on drug dealers.

We seem to be too accepting of their involvement in feeding the US opiate appetite.

I'm sure China sees feeding US fentanyl as part of their long-term conflict with US.

Wonder how we could influence that attitude in some bigly fashion?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talked to a Vet who travels and works on large animals. She said Carfentanil is 100 times as potent as the fentanyl and 10,000 times a potent as morphine.

Her truck has been broken into several times. She has moved her drugs from a secured locker in her truck to a safe mounted onto the floor of her truck. She has also started carrying a sidearm. And she is very proficient with it.

While I agree to a certain point that we need to thin out the gene pool, this epidemic has it's hooks into a wide segment of society.

Our local area has had as many OD's to date as they had all last year. Police, judicial, medical, religious community have all come together to try and battle this.

Our children work in the medical field and law enforcement. We bought them all a supply of Narcan for their personal use.

Posts: 7090 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just two milligrams, a few grains of salt, an amount you could fit on the tip of your finger, can be lethal.

2000 mcg would be lethal...for a horse. Far less than that can be lethal for a person.

Posts: 20510 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
...and the people who truly need pain meds after procedures and operations are given Rx strength Motrin.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Just two milligrams, a few grains of salt, an amount you could fit on the tip of your finger, can be lethal.

2000 mcg would be lethal...for a horse. Far less than that can be lethal for a person.
How do the drug dealers handle that shit without killing themselves or their peeps if it's that lethal?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16627 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm actually really curious to see what kind of protocol changes are going to come due to this.

There is already talk of the police not using the narcan they have on-hand on the person who overdosed, but rather keeping it for use on themselves if they accidentally get exposed.

I've read some reports that first responders are finding more cases where the standard field doses of Narcan aren't enough anymore. These synthetic opioids like fentanyl, carfentanil, and other stuff cooked up in Chinese/Mexican labs are in a whole other league compared to old-fashioned heroin.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

We no longer field test ANYTHING. It is all packaged and sent to the lab.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25645 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
We no longer field test ANYTHING. It is all packaged and sent to the lab.

I can understand the risk, but how do you determine if "that powder" on the console is coke or donut residue?

Posts: 9019 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine what the numbers would look like without the existence of Narcan? Honestly, I'm tired of all of the junkies everywhere and have lost all sympathy of them after being ripped off and stolen from in one way or another by a few of them......

Posts: 21405 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post