SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    McDonald's Monopoly game from 20 years ago was rigged // movie deal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McDonald's Monopoly game from 20 years ago was rigged // movie deal Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.thedailybeast.com/...e-and-stole-millions

too long to write much here. part the beginning:

Inside Hoover’s home, Amy Murray, a loyal McDonald’s spokesperson, encouraged him to tell the camera about the luckiest moment of his life. Nervously clutching his massive check, Hoover said he’d fallen asleep on the beach. When he bent over to wash off the sand, his People magazine fell into the sea. He bought another copy from a grocery store, he said, and inside was an advertising insert with the “Instant Win” game piece. The camera crew listened patiently to his rambling story, silently recognizing the inconsequential details found in stories told by liars. They suspected that Hoover was not a lucky winner, but part of a major criminal conspiracy to defraud the fast food chain of millions of dollars. The two men behind the camera were not from McDonald’s. They were undercover agents from the FBI.

This was a McSting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
...at least I had fun eating all those Big Macs while I tried in vain to win.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
If there is one constant...it's human greed.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have McHeart disease from eating one too many of those hamburgers.

Interesting story.

I'm still waiting to win my five hundred dollars from Taco bell, but It doesn't appear to be happening. I'll settle for enough stock to get free baja blasts for life, and call it even. I'm not a greedy man.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That was an interesting read.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I ate 14,632 McRibs for nothing! Mad

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy - not well - more an acquaintance, who won a big prize in one of those McDonald's giveaways. I think it was the $1,000,000. This guy was smart enough to know that wasn't fuck you money, and kept working. He didn't act a fool with the money. I assume he was a legit winner as he is not in jail.

All I ever won was an order of fries, but who's complaining?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about this when it happened. Though not is as much detail.

it was big news then. Mcdonalds even had an event where they just randomly gave away prizes to people walking in the doors of restaurants across the country to say they were sorry.

Thanks for the post. It was interesting to read more about the operation.

I found this old commercial advertising the "Second Chance" as they called it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
McDonald's Monopoly game from 20 years ago was rigged

My childhood has been shattered. Everything is rigged.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
As I have said for years, the national pastime isn’t baseball. It’s cheating.

Some people look at rules to see how they can comply. Many look at rules and see loopholes.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My family was driving across country in the summer of 1984 when McD was doing the olympics game. The Russians boycotted and the US medaled like crazy. We got half our food for free every trip. These games seem to backfire occasionally.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the story at all. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I ate 14,632 McRibs for nothing! Mad

You survived.

Eating even one of those McTurds.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
I can remember Pepsi had a contest where you could win $$ as they put $ amounts inside the bottle caps. The delivery driver, (his dad ran a general store on his route) once told me the Pepsi plant (this was way back when our local plant bottled their product); knew which flavor, bottle, which 6pk, or case had the winning caps. they knew which delivery truck carried it to which store.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wow! That was a great read. Really enjoyed it.

I vaguely remember it but like the article stated, the trial started on 9/10 so everyone pretty much forgot about it.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
As a local talk radio host stated, I’m glad the FBI is ensuring the McDonalds Monopoly game is being kept honest. I’m sure there’s no more pressing issues to be investigating and I’m sure McDonalds is happy. There’s probably a lot of asinine things they spend time investigating that I know nothing about.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
The McDonald's Monopoly game certainly lead to me, my brother and sister wanting to eat more McDonald's when we were younger. Never knew about it being rigged.

Great read.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
As a local talk radio host stated, I’m glad the FBI is ensuring the McDonalds Monopoly game is being kept honest. I’m sure there’s no more pressing issues to be investigating and I’m sure McDonalds is happy. There’s probably a lot of asinine things they spend time investigating that I know nothing about.

Yeah, because stealing $24 million is no big deal...

Small potatoes, y'know.

Roll Eyes

If someone had stolen just $2,400 from you personally, would you merely shrug and say "that's okay... the cops have better things to do than investigate", or would you expect law enforcement to do something"?

Now, multiply that amount by 10,000...

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

This was a $24 million interstate fraud. Clearly in the FBI's wheelhouse.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post