SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just saw this proposition on the voting ballot for DuPage County Illinois concerning property tax increase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just saw this proposition on the voting ballot for DuPage County Illinois concerning property tax increase Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
WOW. This is interesting. I just downloaded the ballot for DuPage County Illinois for the November election and found this stunning proposition. First I have heard of it. I had read somewhere that someone had proposed this as a way to help Illinois reduce their debt. I don't think that has actually been proposed in the General Assembly, but I may be wrong. I will have to see if I can find more info, I just sent an email to my state representative.

Such a measure would INCREASE our property taxes by almost $4000 a year!!!

https://electionresults.dupage...20%20052-0065-NP.PDF

Shall DuPage County oppose the General Assembly instituting
a property tax increase equivalent to 1% of your home’s value
to help retire state debt?

Yes
No

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Just wait until good ole JB gets in. Then the real fun begins with tax increases.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Just wait until good ole JB gets in. Then the real fun begins with tax increases.

No kidding. Plus a whole new slew of gun control laws and bans similar to New Jersey and Kalifornia.

At least I finally convinced wife we need to get out and sooner than later. Looking to move to Tennessee.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

No kidding. Plus a whole new slew of gun control laws and bans similar to New Jersey and Kalifornia.

At least I finally convinced wife we need to get out and sooner than later. Looking to move to Tennessee.

Hey neighbor, how do you think I feel here in Cook Co? I can technically go in 2 years. Realistically, 5 is about what my goal is, that's even tough. The wife is all on board to get out of Dodge, and head out West.

Seems like there's a ton of "right thinking" people fleeing this state! I wonder why...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's insane. I wonder how many voters will actually do the math. 1% really doesn't sound too bad until you do the numbers in your head. The arrogance to even put something like that on the ballot.

I've grown to hate ballot propositions. I believe these things are what the legislature is for. My inclination nowadays is to always vote No on all of them. I have three on mine. The liberal Salt Lake Tribune wants me to vote Yes on all of them, as do about 99% of the liberal tards commenting on the article. With that, I'm voting No.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wow, that's insane. I wonder how many voters will actually do the math. 1% really doesn't sound too bad until you do the numbers in your head. The arrogance to even put something like that on the ballot.

I've grown to hate ballot propositions. I believe these things are what the legislature is for. My inclination nowadays is to always vote No on all of them. I have three on mine. The liberal Salt Lake Tribune wants me to vote Yes on all of them, as do about 99% of the liberal tards commenting on the article. With that, I'm voting No.

Agree. The description is often a marketing script that reveals little of the details. I can't remember the issue but a bunch of years ago there was a question that was worded in a way that it seemed the opposite of what it was. After lengthy research on the issue I could finally understand what it was and I consider myself to be pretty intelligent.

I'm hoping to be gone within 5 years....fingers crossed.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've grown to hate ballot propositions. I believe these things are what the legislature is for. My inclination nowadays is to always vote No on all of them. I have three on mine.

I agree.
The libs don't control the legislature here so they clutter the ballot with all kinds of crap.
There are a bunch of tax increases + 3, yes three 'medical' marijuana proposals, + a bunch of other stuff. The worst is what the proponents call "Clean Missouri" which is a radical redistricting proposal in an 'ethics reform' wrapper to make it enticing.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shall DuPage County oppose the General Assembly instituting
a property tax increase equivalent to 1% of your home’s value
to help retire state debt?

Yes
No

Because I'm sure every cent of that tax increase would go to retiring state debt...

But why should the rest of the state pay for stupid shit that's mostly (all?) the fault of cRook county/Shitcago?

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
The worst is what the proponents call "Clean Missouri" which is a radical redistricting proposal in an 'ethics reform' wrapper to make it enticing.

The exact same proposal is on the Utah ballot. Funny how the same redistricting initiative is on several state’s ballots, but only in red states.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A young gal at work last week mentioned that she wasn't planning on voting. Her rationale was that she tries not to pay attention to politics and wouldn't even know what or who to vote for.

I gave her my model for voting since I was the ripe old age of 18 and suggested she follow it. NEVER vote for a democrat and NEVER vote for a tax increase, no matter how shiny they paint it. Easy peasy.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I've got a pretty vocal co-worker that lives in Bartlett. Wonder what he thinks. Should be interesting.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
quote:

Hey neighbor, how do you think I feel here in Cook Co? I can technically go in 2 years. Realistically, 5 is about what my goal is, that's even tough. The wife is all on board to get out of Dodge, and head out West.

Seems like there's a ton of "right thinking" people fleeing this state! I wonder why...

I wish you the best. Realistically we are pretty much on the same time table but at least the discussion has finally begun and the wife is actually looking at property in the Maryville Tennessee area and has become pretty enthusiastic seeing what kind of home we can get for the money there and property taxes about 85 percent less than what we pay now.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Illinois ballot propositions are not always binding. I hope to hear from my state rep early this week to learn more about what is the deal with this one. Maybe they are trying to gauge voter support or lack of it for such an insane idea. As someone mentioned many might not think a "one percent increase" is any big deal if they do not read the fine print. Of course non home owners would be almost 100 percent in favor of this.

The only bit of information I can find now about it is in the link below.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org...state-pension-debts/

"A proposal to levy a statewide 1 percent residential property tax would vault Illinoisans’ property tax burden to the highest of all 50 states.

The latest prescription for curing Illinois’ pension woes without reform? Crowning Illinois homeowners as the No. 1 property taxpayers in the nation.

Economists from the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago released a report May 7 suggesting a 1 percent statewide residential property tax, on top of the property tax bills Illinoisans already pay. The revenue from this new property tax would go entirely toward paying down the state’s pension debt. (The report’s authors peg that debt at roughly $130 billion. Moody’s Investors Service has estimated it may be more than $250 billion.)

Under the plan, owners of homes worth $250,000 would pay an additional $2,500 in property taxes for the next 30 years.

Experts at the nonpartisan Tax Foundation ran this proposal against their 2018 State Business Tax Climate Index. The results aren’t pretty.

Illinois currently ranks 45th in the nation for its property tax burden, according to the Tax Foundation, with property taxes amounting to 2.03 percent of median income, or $2,087 per capita.

If the Land of Lincoln implements this new 1 percent property tax, the Tax Foundation estimates Illinois’ property tax burden would fall behind every other state, ranking 50 out of 50. That ranking takes into account property tax collections per capita, property taxes as a percent of personal income and capital stock taxes.

In the wake of this proposal, state Rep. Jeanne Ives, R-Wheaton, introduced a House resolution opposing the passage of a new, statewide property tax in Illinois.

To their credit, Chicago Federal Reserve economists have done residents the favor of laying bare the magnitude of pain that pensions can inflict upon homeowners. That is, if lawmakers fail to alter the state’s constitution to allow for changes to benefits.

Illinoisans already saw property taxes grow six times faster than incomes from 2008-2015 – driven in no small part by rising pension costs at the local level and the state level, where those costs crowd out funding for core services.

And that’s what’s even more frightening than a proposal for a multibillion-dollar property tax hike: The fact that it wouldn’t even be enough to fix the state’s debt problem.

This additional tax would do nothing to address tens of billions of dollars of retiree health care costs at the state level, or the billions of dollars in local pension debt already creating financial crises in places such as Harvey.

The stakes for pension reform have never been clearer for taxpayers and their elected officials: Amend the Illinois Constitution and restructure pension benefits, or face a world of hurt."

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Very good choice. Keep us posted if you do or not.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
The worst is what the proponents call "Clean Missouri" which is a radical redistricting proposal in an 'ethics reform' wrapper to make it enticing.

The exact same proposal is on the Utah ballot. Funny how the same redistricting initiative is on several state’s ballots, but only in red states.

Yup. And as I said, I'm voting No. If the libs and the Salt Lake Tribune are for it, I sure ain't.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What grumpy1 posted.

Is this one of those deliberately misleading proposals where you have to vote yes to defeat it?

Looks like it to me and I intensely dislike this type of political game.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
I left Roselle 19 years ago and moved to Texas. My property taxes in Denton County are only $150 more than they were in DuPage County.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel for you. I have two siblings that still live in Illinois. They complain a good bit about property taxes. As I mentioned earlier I lived in Knoxville for four years and really enjoyed the area. However, I cannot emphasize enough the cultural changes you will experience. I enjoy the pace of life in the South, but it took time to get used to the change. People are more polite and things progress more slowly. I would spend a couple of weeks in Maryville on an extended stay before moving.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I've grown to hate ballot propositions.

They do tend to clutter things up a bit.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post