SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's "that " season again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's "that " season again Login/Join 
posted
My question is , is it my imagination or does the crime rate start climbing after the weather starts to get cold ?

purse snatching, car theft, burglaries , armed robberies and breakin's .

It just seems like the papers and news is covering a lot more of these in the past few weeks.

oh and b.t.w. if you leave your car running at the gas pump, you deserve to have it stolen, this isn't 1944.

http://www.kwqc.com/content/ne...oblem-422416613.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general, I always thought the opposite was true. The exception might be things stolen from cars in shopping center parking lots.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
It starts getting darker earlier. When we lived up north in NJ it was dark at around 5pm.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I always thought the summer months were the high crime months.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Crime drops as temperature drops.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
My question is , is it my imagination or does the crime rate start climbing after the weather starts to get cold ?

It's your imagination. Do you really believe that criminals who are too lazy to work regular jobs, want to be out in the cold and rain.

Crime is always lower in the colder months.at least it was in the 28 years I was in LE. The types of crimes change, but it is overall lower.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
What about stocking up for the holiday season? Don't the bad guys need to have gifts to give?

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I always thought the conventional wisdom is that crime goes up when it is hot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.... Tis the season! As Christmas gets closer, car break-ins, robbery and shoplifting all increase.
Even thieves have family who want presents!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Yah, that’s what I always heard.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
When the temps hit around -20F or so in Minnesota, it's just too plain cold to engage in nefarious behavior.

But then we have the criminal element that comes down from Canada, so there's that to deal with. Dirty bastards.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

^^^^^^^^^^
This. Plus holiday weekends regardless of the temperature. I think shoplifting and related crimes are year round however.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe the press is just covering it more than usual

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Maybe it depends on how hot? Maybe criminals don't go out when it's 95 and 90% humidity? Perhaps there's an ideal range, say between 62 and 82 degrees where criminals are most active. Since many states don't venture into the above 85 range often, it appears that crime is lessened with colder temperatures in those states. There is one temperature where all crime stops: room.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
When the temps hit around -20F or so in Minnesota, it's just too plain cold to engage in nefarious behavior.

H&K-Guy

Making one’s escape through a semi-solid medium that records your path and direction of travel is also somewhat problematic.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that violent crime goes up when temps are high, tempers are hot, and people are outside. There seems to be a different set that desires darkness, coats and heavy clothing to conceal weapons, or for what they are stealing.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
What about stocking up for the holiday season? Don't the bad guys need to have gifts to give?

Yep getting extra cash for gift giving. ‘Tis the Season you know.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
So the rate goes up in December and then in January and February, when your breath freezes into sleet when you exhale, the rate drops?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:

Yep getting extra cash for gift giving. ‘Tis the Season you know.
Perhaps it is different in your region, but the local "bad guys" don't give X-mas presents to family.

I thought it was just a cheap gangbanger, but after talking to several, they all confirmed the practice

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post