SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New old 1977 280z
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New old 1977 280z Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
Funny how things go full circle. I'm going to be 50 this summer. When I was in high school my best friend's dad picked up a 280z after a squadron buddy picked up a 240z (buddy was flying SR71s, dad F4 out of Homestead). I always loved the car and over the years he put a new interior, work, etc. His dad flew in a Bonanza club and we both had hundrds of hous in the V35 right seat.

Fast forward to this year. His dad died, and buddy was executor for estate. Car goes to his sister in Texas, none of the brothers wanted it or are "car guys". Past weekend, we take my friends new 1968 Piper Cherokee 180 to Sun n Fun in Lakeland. Left seat is the sisters husband who flies a Mooney. Great weekend, drinking a beer and watching planes with ask what happened to car. He says he needs it out of the garage and sister wants it to stay in the family - did I want it? Hell yes, we talk a price that covers their costs and agree.

So I go to an air show and buy a car. Will post pics back shortly. Life is funny and people are good - this car is solid and a runner, beautiful white interior no rust. They could make serious $$ on this but would rather keep it in the family. Excited to be back in the classic car business - last one I had was 71 MGB.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
A nice old sports car with a story.

Please keep us in the loop when it makes its way into your garage Smile

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story, I would love to see pics

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I had a 280Z for a while when I was in college. Of all the cars I've had over the years that was the one I most wish I had kept... I almost never see them anymore and the ones I do see are either trashed or so "customized" that I wouldn't want to get within 20' of them. Sad...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I love those older Datsuns. I almost bought a 240z when I was 18. I now have a 1969 Datsun 510, that, one of these years, I will fix up and restore.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A good buddy is in the process of restoring an old Z-car. He just finished a '52 Ford pickup and did a fantastic job of it. Can't wait to see the Z.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

When I was in HS, my Dad had a 280Z with a (then) rare automatic transmission. I was forbidden from driving it but snuck a ride once when he was away on a trip. I remember that thing being a ROCKET and still can remember that super tight rack & pinion non power steering.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I had an '82 model 280z in high school for a little bit, it was a good car.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I had an '82 model 280z in high school for a little bit, it was a good car.

Wasn't it a 280ZX by that point? That's a completely different model IIRC.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
They are great cars. I drove a light blue'77 240Z when I was in college. Great memories.
Good for you! Show pics when you can.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
great story;
I was a 1600 & 2000 Datsun roadster guy in 1971-78. Always sort of lusted after the 240Z but life got in the way.

Cheers on your fortune.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Congrats! I love those older Datsuns. I almost bought a 240z when I was 18. I now have a 1969 Datsun 510, that, one of these years, I will fix up and restore.

When you get around to restoring the 510, look into putting a 5-speed from the Datsun 2000 roadster in it. I almost did that with a new 510 in 1971, and from research it appeared to be a direct fit. I think BRE did that for their race cars.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Had a 73 240Z back in the 70's. Fun cars...just don't roll it.....

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:

When you get around to restoring the 510, look into putting a 5-speed from the Datsun 2000 roadster in it. I almost did that with a new 510 in 1971, and from research it appeared to be a direct fit. I think BRE did that for their race cars.

Will do, thanks for the info Smile.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Back in the early '80's, I had a HS buddy who had a 240 and we negotiated hard for me to buy it. Unfortunately I didn't have the coin for it back then, sure don't now.

Where da pics?????

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first car was a 77 280Z. Bright yellow, manual tranny. Original owner was a family friend, she had it for a couple of years and decided it was too small. She had installed a CB/AM/FM radio and the call sign was the Yellow Streak. Dual meaning, the car was a yellow streak and she had a bit of a yellow streak and was afraid to really let it rip too often. I kept the call sign as a matter of respect. Loved that car, wish I still had it.

Unfortunately my fiancé (now wife of 33 years) was rear ended in it in and it was totaled. Man that was a great car.

Definitely post pictures of your find when you can and congrats on the new (old) wheels.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Back in 1970 Datsun had their offices in my town in NJ. At the time they were a small operation in the US. My father was good friends with one of their VP's who asked if I wanted one of their 240Z's. down side, no color choice. I lucked out and got a blue/black interior with a four speed for $3000. The dealer offered me a significant profit if I would sign it over to them when I picked it up. No dice.

Put better shocks, alum. rims and wider tires and AM/FM and their factory air setup. Four years later (all babied) I sold it for a profit.

Today they are sought after although no idea how many survived. they had issues with rust.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Back in 1970 Datsun had their offices in my town in NJ. At the time they were a small operation in the US.

Did it happen to be Cherry Hill, NJ like Subaru USA still is?

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My 73 240Z was one of my best cars ever!
Congrats. Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post