SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Landscapers and those in the know...a question for you.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Landscapers and those in the know...a question for you. Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Being in this area, you can also buy directly from some of the manufacturers. Kirchner/Midwest Block & Brick for example.

I'll second that.
I had a really big retaining wall to build about 10 years ago, that takes quite a bit of water pressure behind it, so it had to have some drain pipe behind it and I had to use 'square footers', the big ones from versa-lok.

I did get a great deal on some cosmetic 'blemished' block at their "yard sale", (basically color swirls where the color didn't mix completely) but they still look great. I just buried most of the blemishes in the first course and saved a bunch of money on the whole project. They were very reasonable on delivery and placement at the site of 10 large pallets of block.

Yours seems more cosmetic so your choices may be much more variable... but I think it will be worth your time to go out there and talk to them:

Kirchner Block & Brick Inc
Landscaping Supply Store
Bridgeton, MO
(314) 291-3200

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Back filling those beds against the house brick can cause water infiltration through the mortar joints of the brick if the water can't get out of the bed fast enough.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
Back filling those beds against the house brick can cause water infiltration through the mortar joints of the brick if the water can't get out of the bed fast enough.

The top level of the wall will be even with the lower most brick, so I will only be backfilling against the concrete foundation, not brick. Or at least that's my plan....

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
That's the best bet. I have used Thompson's to seal the mortar sort of as a better than nothing option, but definitely not below grade.

My mom's house had some water infiltrating into her patio room, so no know where it was coming from I sprayed some Thompson's on the first couple of brick layers above the slab.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post