SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Landscapers and those in the know...a question for you.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Landscapers and those in the know...a question for you. Login/Join 
posted
I'm going to build a landscape/retaining wall soon. We've looked at Home Depot and a local landscaping supply store at the different blocks that are available. My question is, are the blocks at HD any different in quality from those at a supply store?

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Being in this area, you can also buy directly from some of the manufacturers. Kirchner/Midwest Block & Brick for example.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Being in this area, you can also buy directly from some of the manufacturers. Kirchner/Midwest Block & Brick for example.

Pavestone is a bit south of Cape also. Didn't realize I could buy direct from them. Hmmmmmm.....something else to think about....

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to part of my original question.....is the quality of block the same, just maybe more choices at one place vs the other?

posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, quality doesn't change much. I built a retaining wall last year and looked at bricks from Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, and a few builder supply stores. Some builders said to inspect what you're getting but they're generally the same.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one question comes to mind. how high is the retaining wall you are building?

anything over 4' should be designed by the block manufacture, including the geogrid reinforcing length and frequency.

less than 4' positive drainage behind the wall is what stabilized the back fill. block facing is just a décor item as well as ease of installation.

ymmv
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Lowes carried the same brand as the local stone place for almost the identical price. I had a $200 gift card to Lowes which one is the only reason I bought from them.
They should list brand and model info then compare on the manufactures website.

I just got done with my first. Once you have your first row level it is cake. Now granted mine is more of a landscape wall as it is not really retaining wall. I was quite happy. I used adhesive on the top 2 levels and the caps. I don't forsee it going anywhere.

Please excuse the grass or lack there of. I had serious tree root issues and had to rip them all out. I have since reseeded the lawn and it is looking much better.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
one question comes to mind. how high is the retaining wall you are building?

anything over 4' should be designed by the block manufacture, including the geogrid reinforcing length and frequency.

less than 4' positive drainage behind the wall is what stabilized the back fill. block facing is just a décor item as well as ease of installation.

ymmv
john

It won't be more than 4 feet tall. More like 3 to 3 1/2 max.

posted Hide Post
Here's a few pics of the front of the house. Probably have 2 circular-ish walls on the right side, in front of each window. The second wall will end at the pad of the front porch.

The other thing I'm thinking of doing is running a small wall....probably only be 2, maybe 3 blocks high along the inside of the sidewalk shown here. Idea would be to enclose that entire area for some sort of shrubbery/planting bed.

posted Hide Post
I like the idea of 2 columns where the sidewalk meets the slab for the porch. Place some kind of light on each one, I think it would look nice. My wife thinks it will take away too much from the door itself. Thoughts?

Also, the area between the sidewalk and house, there are 3 downspouts. I currently have them buried and running into a pipe put under the bend of the sidewalk. That pipe was left there to run electric, but I'm using it for drainage. Any other ideas what to do with those 3 downspouts if I don't run it there?

posted Hide Post
Black, that looks great. I couldn't remember who posted that earlier, but I remember the discussion of you including the downspout in the turn of the wall. Funny because that's what my wife said she wanted as we were looking at the layout again a few days ago.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Great looking house!
We too have a left entry walk like that and I too considered putting a wall on the left side of the stoop. But there were a couple things that kept me from doing it. Looking around the area I did not like the look of stone being up against the sidewalk. Second, that area runs to the driveway where I park my van. The wall would have been straight in line with my drivers door and would not have been able to open the door without hitting the stone.
I just planted and mulched the whole area and it looks really good. I used a fair amount of weed fabric to keep the weeding down. Have to sweep the mulch off the walk occasionally when the rabbits have been in the bed but other than that it stays put.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I was told some of the block at the home stores are hollow core. Not sure if it will matter in your application.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I was told some of the block at the home stores are hollow core. Not sure if it will matter in your application.

Most of the larger blocks are hollow core for weight and cutting purposes. I could tell no difference in the blocks at Lowes and the stone supply place here when comparing stone to stone.
As with anything there are different levels but comparing block for block should not be a difference.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
What's with the large white window trim?
You gonna brick that in?

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
What's with the large white window trim?
You gonna brick that in?

Box bay windows. Nope, doesn't get bricked in.

posted Hide Post
do you know about weep holes?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
Here's a few pics of the front of the house.

Very nice house. I especially like the 9 over 9 double hung windows. They add a special charm.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told some of the block at the home stores are hollow core.

Bricks and stone are heavy and inexpensive. It would not be cost effective to be shipping them all over the country. Most of these types of things being sold locally will be from local sources, regardless of it being a big box store or a single specialty landscape company.

The Midwest Block & Brick that I mentioned in our area has several locations. They manufacture stones sold under the brands of Romanstone, Rosetta, Hercules, Omega, Keystone, Allan Block, and Versa-Lok.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You can find a lot of helpful information at Allan Block:

http://www.allanblock.com/lite...yard-techsheets.aspx

I would probably make a sitting area to the left of the front stoop with flagstone or some other kind of stone.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post