SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New car purchase, need opinions**purchase made**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New car purchase, need opinions**purchase made** Login/Join 
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted
We are in the market for a new car. Will probably go to Atlanta shopping for one in the next week or two. My main concerns are decent power and acceleration(4 cylinder), a quiet ride and good handling. We are not interested in all the fancy dodads, just the basics. We think we have narrowed our search to Honda CR-V, Subaru Outback or Forester, Toyota Rav4 or Kia Sorrento. Would love to hear from owners of these vehicles or those with experience with them. Thanks in advance for your help.

We purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback. Happy with the price and the dealership was great, no hassles. Didn't want all the eye sight stuff but it's all standard. I think it will work out great for us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: florida boy,

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have a 2011 Sorento and I'm very happy with it. 68k miles with no issues or warranty work on it. It's the first year they were made in the new plant in Georgia. If you have questions just email me at the address in my profile.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my daughters 2019 crosstrek premium. I have been it's primary driver till she gets her license. If you are looking at the out the others, the crosstrek is a nice option.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't say that I've had any experience with those, but keep in mind if there is an option (Satellite Radio, UConnect, Navigation, etc...) that you want and it is not on your perspective new ride, you should be able to install it later in your spare time.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm driving my late wife's 2011 Rav4 (4cyl) with 83,000+ miles...it still gets 28-29 MPG and has been a mechanically perfect vehicle so far...just oil changes and regular maintenance... My sister had a Subaru Outback that she absolutely loved and it had been a great vehicle for her...she has a Kia now and misses the Subaru (I think it's just more of a "I liked A more than B sorta thing"... But that's normal...personally, I too liked the Outback better than the Kia as a passenger)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Wait until 2020 for the new Outback.

It's being built on the new Subaru Global Platform, which is stiffer than the current unibody platform.

I have a 2012 Outback with 135,000 miles on it. High ownership satisfaction so far. I plan on keeping mine until 2022, at least.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When I was looking a year ago, I test drove a CR-V, Sorrento, and Rav4, the Sorrento was the best of that group, but I ended up buying a 2018 Tiguan which made the rest of them look pale. The VW was also marginally less expensive than the others, but I wasn't primarily shopping on price. WRT the Outback, my wife drives one, and I didn't want to be driving a newer model of "her car." The VW is clearly better built than the Subaru.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife drives a Subaru Legacy Ltd, my daughter drives a Crosstrek, and I just bought a Subaru STI. The legacy has decent power and handles quite well. It does have some fancy toys but you could buy the non Ltd model. The daughter loves the Crosstrek. Nothing fancy but solid as hell. The STI is a beast. Really fast for a 4 banger (turbo) and handles really well. I really like Subaru quality. I think you would like the Outback or Forester quality wise. My question is do you really need AWD living in Georgia? We pay a bit of a premium for that in Utah due to our winters.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I test drove the ‘18 Outback. I didn’t notice much difference between my ‘15 Legacy (which had a 6) and the 4 cyl Outback I drove. It did get better mileage than my Legacy. I decided I would wait for the 2020 remodel Outback. I ended up getting a 4cyl BMW. Now I wish I got a 6. I’m waiting to see what engine options are available with the 2020 Outback.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
my moms on her 2nd RAV4, I drive her alot, so I get some wheel time in it, both of them were trouble free and I drive a Lexus GS350 F sport, I can tell u the RAV 4 has good build quality.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
We are in the market for a new car. Will probably go to Atlanta shopping for one in the next week or two. My main concerns are decent power and acceleration(4 cylinder), a quiet ride and good handling. We are not interested in all the fancy dodads, just the basics. We think we have narrowed our search to Honda CR-V, Subaru Outback or Forester, Toyota Rav4 or Kia Sorrento. Would love to hear from owners of these vehicles or those with experience with them. Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't know much about the Subaru vehicles but I can say that the CRV and RAV4 are not similar to the Sorrento. The Sorrento is more inline with the Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot with them having a 3rd row. If you're looking at the Kia/Hyundai equal of the CRV and RAV4, that would be the Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson.

Very different vehicles, IME.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
We picked up a VW GTI. Plenty of room, 6 year warranty and relatively inexpensive at under 25K. This is my daughters first car so simple DCT, LSD, great brakes. Only thing we don’t like is the tires - all season.

We cross shopped the outback and Honda, for reasons mentioned we went with VW ...which was not on our list when we started.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We have Foresters and are happy with them but we do drive in snow a lot. Any on your list would be fine but for us, Kias had poor visibility. That may have changed since.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I really like my daughters 2019 crosstrek premium. I have been it's primary driver till she gets her license. If you are looking at the out the others, the crosstrek is a nice option.

I just bought a Subaru Crossttek. I love it. But it’s pickup isn’t awesome. However it’s better than the reviews imply. Handling is awesome but it’s a bit squirrelly if you hit a pothole at 80 on a curve.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Wait until 2020 for the new Outback.

It's being built on the new Subaru Global Platform, which is stiffer than the current unibody platform.

This. The 2020 Outback will also be offered with a turbo in the XT trim, if you want extra power and acceleration on your 4 cylinder engone.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Love my 15 Forester touring!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My wife drives a 2019 Kia Sorento SXL V6 and it is a great vehicle. Decent power and we got 30 mpg on the highway yesterday on our day trip. We're really happy with it. We bought it because of the warranty.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
The new 4 cylinder cars are nothing like they were years ago.

Our 2012 Camry has decent pep to it. The HP on it is 175. My old 96 Mustang GT had 225hp with a V8. Cars have come a long way in the last few years.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a 2017 Outback with the 2.5L engine. Really happy with the car and the engine provides enough power 99% of the time. Once in a while I wish that there were a little more there, that I had bought the 3.6L.
I was in the dealership Thursday getting it serviced and spoke with the salesperson. He said that the 3.6L engine was going away in 2020 in the Outback and that they were going to start using the new Ascent engine in it, a 2.4L Turbo.
I guess that goes along with the new platform.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
There's nothing on your list that is a poor choice, so it comes down to the one you like the best. I'm partial to Toyotas, so if it where me that's the way I would lean. Honda and Subaru would not be far behind. Have zero experience with the Kia's but they do have a great warranty and people seem to like them.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post