SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rep. Trent Franks expected to resign
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rep. Trent Franks expected to resign Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This is a puzzler, he's one of the good guys.

Arizona Congressman Trent Franks is expected to resign, a Republican operative told Fox News on Thursday.

Two Republican consultants also confirmed the decision to The Associated Press but both said they did not know why he was leaving.

Upon leaving the House floor on Thursday, Trent was consoled by fellow Republican members, including Rep. Louis Gohmert, R-Texas, Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Ala., and Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz.

Trent is currently serving his eight term in Congress -- he was first elected in 2002.

The congressman serves on the Armed Services Committee and the Judiciary Committee, in addition to be a member of the House Freedom Caucus.

He's known to be a staunch fiscal and social conservative with a pro-life stance on abortion. He sponsored House-passed legislation to make it a crime for any person to perform an abortion if the age of the fetus is 20 weeks or more.

Before being elected into Congress, Trent was a small business owner and later served in the Arizona Legislature, according to his website biography.

According to the page, Trent is a strong proponent for smaller government and "believes in personal responsibility, strong national defense, free enterprise, protecting the innocent, and in the timeless truths and principles of the United States Constitution."

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...ected-to-resign.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
olfuzzy - Your post is missing the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs from the linked article:

"The House of Representatives Committee on Ethics released a statement regarding Trent and announced that they will be looking into the congressman.

"Pursuant to the Committee's action, the Investigation Subcommittee shall have jurisdiction to determine whether Representative Trent Franks engaged in conduct that constitutes sexual harassment and/or retaliation for opposing sexual harassment, in violation of House Rules, law, regulations, or other standards of conduct," the statement said."

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trent is a strong proponent for smaller government and "believes in personal responsibility, strong national defense, free enterprise, protecting the innocent, and in the timeless truths and principles of the United States Constitution."

Well that sucks, hopefully he's replaced with someone that fits that mold.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
olfuzzy - Your post is missing the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs from the linked article:

"The House of Representatives Committee on Ethics released a statement regarding Trent and announced that they will be looking into the congressman.

"Pursuant to the Committee's action, the Investigation Subcommittee shall have jurisdiction to determine whether Representative Trent Franks engaged in conduct that constitutes sexual harassment and/or retaliation for opposing sexual harassment, in violation of House Rules, law, regulations, or other standards of conduct," the statement said."

Those two paragraphs weren't there when I posted ?????

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
and it's changed again!

"Trent said he will leave his seat on Jan. 31, 2018 following complaints from two of his employees, with whom he discussed the subject of becoming a surrogate for he and his wife, who have had difficulty with fertility, he said."

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
The swamp is draining!!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
and it's changed again!

"Trent said he will leave his seat on Jan. 31, 2018 following complaints from two of his employees, with whom he discussed the subject of becoming a surrogate for he and his wife, who have had difficulty with fertility, he said."

That's a far cry from sexual harassment. Unfortunately, he went about it the wrong way apparently.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Another source said that Paul Ryan told him he would have to resign.
This is a head-scratcher.
A friend of mine said this is like McCarthyism, or what it was reputed to be.
Presumed guilty upon accusation—-and even worse, the offense is undefined.
Personally I think Al Franken got railroaded and unless more info comes out, I will think that of Trent Franks as well.
I don’t think this hysteria is going to end well.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
He is my representative in congress and can't be gone soon enough. In total lockstep with the religious right and totally unresponsive to his electorate. Inserting himself in local politics where he really has no place. I've written to his office several times and have yet to even receive a note of receipt or telling me to fuck off and die. I actually wrote myself in for Congress during the last election since there was no 3rd party candidate to vote for in protest.

One more turd flushed while draining the swamp.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 'Religous Right', they're the problem with government today! Roll Eyes

You know, Conservative Christian Values - Advocacy for ALL Life, Small Government, Limited Taxation, Personal Responsibility, Defenders of the Constitution, Strong National Defense....Kind of like ISIS, but different! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8870 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don't want people to be molested or harassed but if someone took one for the team to oust Paul Ryan they would be a hero and a victim. I want him to lose his job so bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Lord Acton strikes again - "Power tends to corrupt." I don't know the details in Mr. Franks's case but I doubt anyone would resign over mere allegations.

They say that being down and out tests character, but in my book, the true test is to see what people do when they are presented with power.

But we are not set up to be governed only by perfect beings. When correctly done, checks and balances allows mere humans to do the work.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Yeah, the 'Religous Right', they're the problem with government today! Roll Eyes

You know, Conservative Christian Values - Advocacy for ALL Life, Small Government, Limited Taxation, Personal Responsibility, Defenders of the Constitution, Strong National Defense....Kind of like ISIS, but different! Wink

You know, censorship, book banning in schools, Jesus walked with the dinosaurs, Darwin was a hack, Galileo was wrong, intolerance, somebody might be having fun let's pass a law against it.

I usually have no problem with, "Conservative Christian" values. I do have a problem with the extreme religious right when they try and force their puritanical viewpoints on everyone else. That's where Franks has been.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I live in his district and he is my representative...this is sad to see as he was one of the good guys.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

You know, censorship, book banning in schools, Jesus walked with the dinosaurs, Darwin was a hack, Galileo was wrong, intolerance, somebody might be having fun let's pass a law against it.

I usually have no problem with, "Conservative Christian" values. I do have a problem with the extreme religious right when they try and force their puritanical viewpoints on everyone else. That's where Franks has been.
+1000

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I live in the “religious right”, and I only see that kind of intolerance on the Left. I don’t see, hear, or smell it in any of the churches I go to, ranging from Covenant to ex-Presbyterian to Baptist and occasionally Pentecostal. I read conservative religious publications and again never get a whiff of the accused intolerance.

It was only the Left that was threatening to censor preachers’ sermons, closing Christian bakeries and the like. There was a huge battle over gay marriage, but that’s another law forced on people against their consciences.

I would rather not be typing this, but cannot remain silent in the face of what I think are exaggerations of reality coming from friends.

I realize I will not be changing any minds, but it still must be said.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
IMO the "religious-right" has evolved to be more libertarian. In the past, I think they were interested in keeping the government out of our businesses and pocketbooks, but were fine with them regulating bedroom and social behaviors, but many have come to realize the less power the government has in all those areas, the better. There are a few exceptions, such a gay marriage, but things are better than they were in 1980.

That being said, there are certainly politicians who still like to virtue signal about how Christian they are, regardless of whether or not it's the truth.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I live in his district and he is my representative...this is sad to see as he was one of the good guys.

A shame... he buckled to the pressure of "the appearance of impropriety".

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trent said he will leave his seat on Jan. 31, 2018 following complaints from two of his employees, with whom he discussed the subject of becoming a surrogate for he and his wife, who have had difficulty with fertility, he said."

I guess it depends on how he proposed to achieve surrogacy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
A bizarre story for sure.

I know that I wouldn't approach the subject of surrogacy with a woman unless I had a solid reason to believe that she would be on board. It's not a casual conversation with mere acquaintances.

That said, it doesn't seem like the typical case of sexual predation that would require a resignation. It is easily some pretty bad judgment, but the voters can take care of that in regular course if they wish. I think this is more about cleaning house so that the Dems can't say they are the only ones forcing people out.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post