SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NGD! Picked up a well worn Yamaha in need of TLC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NGD! Picked up a well worn Yamaha in need of TLC Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Ok, Oz_Shadow you were right. I wasn't done buying guitars. Big Grin I found this Yamaha FG-335 locally for next to nothing. It will be a beater/ camp guitar. I love all the dents and wear, it certainly haz character.

Should I refinish it? I'm taking it camping soon. Would a refinish or any protective coating mess with the sound? I'm inclined to just leave as is and enjoy it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I expected a bike....

Regardless, cool find.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Ok, Oz_Shadow you were right. I wasn't done buying guitars. Big Grin I found this Yamaha FG-335 locally for next to nothing. It will be a beater/ camp guitar. I love all the dents and wear, it certainly haz character.

Should I refinish it? I'm taking it camping soon. Would a refinish or any protective coating mess with the sound? I'm inclined to just leave as is and enjoy it.

If the guitar is in otherwise good shape just install new strings (if not already replaced) tune it and call it a day.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
hudr, a new bike is coming soon. Stay tuned. Wink. (It's gonna be a supermoto, I'm just not sure if it'll be a KTM EXC-F or a XR650R)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Myself I would seal the bare spots. But that’s just me

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It will be a beater/ camp guitar.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of this:

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sweet.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I expected a bike....

As did I!

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
ever see Willy's guitar?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Well, it sure isn't "Old Black".

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Leave the mojo !

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
While I too dig the MOJO of a guitars' battle scars, if it is to be a beater, spray some clear sealer on it in case it gets wet in the rain or whatever.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have one very similar to yours. It was my moms. she never played seriously, but I remember being a little kid watching her play when she was teaching herself. I tried to learn a little in high school, and never got too far.

It's pretty the way it is, in my opinion. I'd leave her be and love her as-is!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is the only crack I am considering fixing. As cheap as the guitar was it probably isn't worth the effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If you find a 000 short scale, grab it for me? My tendons can't take the higher string tension and stretching anymore. I'am going over to the Dark Side.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yessir woodman! Short scales are a blast. One that is often overlooked is the Fender Duo Sonic. It's a NEAT little guitar. This one is a HS but you can split the coil on the humbucker and have it more like a traditional single, single Duo Sonic. For a MIM guitar the quality is surprisingly high.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't refinish it.

You might fix the crack, but check into the price. Good repair work may cost prohibitive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
If you find a 000 short scale, grab it for me? My tendons can't take the higher string tension and stretching anymore. I'am going over to the Dark Side.

The 2014 and newer Martin 000-18 is an exceptional guitar.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think you are right JHE888, it really wouldn't make sense to put any money into a guitar like this. If it were repaired it would be something I did myself.

This Yamaha sounds way different from my all mahogany Korean made PRS. It's brighter and noticeably louder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Stick, while I love electrics, that one may be a little quiet under the old oak tree at the farm bluegrass jams. Big Grin

2014 and newer? A guy I work with offered me a new-with-warranty -18 for $1800, but it may have been pre-2014. Can you give me a quick primer on the difference?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post