New
Find
Notify
Tools

"23 and Me" Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I did it and found out that I am the sole descendent of King Arthur. My brothers and sisters sure we're mad!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
My parents are currently participating in this nonsense.

I have a few issues with it.

First, who the fuck cares? I can understand doing DNA analysis for medical purposes, but what difference can it possibly make to me to find out where my ancestors come from? It doesn't make me a different person, doesn't make me do anything differently. What am I going to do, brag about lineage that I had nothing to do with? Even if you don't know who your close relatives are, who cares? If they cared, you'd know who they are.

Second, I agree with others, I'm not at all keen on giving up my DNA to a company, especially one like google, with little to no say in what they do with it. No, I don't really expect too much nefarious from it, but why should I pay them to give them my dna?

I fail to see any benefit at all from this waste of money.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
My wife & I did Ancestry.com DNA. & she also did 23 and me because she did not believe the Ancestry.com results.
My wife who thought she was 3/4 Armenian & 1/4 Russian, showed NO eastern European. 23 and me produced similar results, no eastern European, but Italian, Southern European, & Ashkenazi. The Armenian results were as expected.
Ancestry.com linked me to others & I was able to extend my family history to arrival in Roanoke, VA in the 1630's. I have thousands of DNA linked cousins in the US.

Please dont take the following as an insult:

But just WHAT have you gained from this? You found out that you came from a different part of Europe by about 800nm. Im sure I have thousands of DNA linked people here and in the Motherland too. So what?

Our oldest son got interested in his ancestry in high school. He talked to about every living relative on both sides of the family putting it all together. He found the manifest of the ship that brought my grandparents over. Very cool.

This stuff goes beyond that though. Im just very uncomfortable with it.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
If I hear that commercial one more time I think I will go beat puppies. Big Grin

That being said between my wife and we are very curious to see what kind of mutt the boy is.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I participated in a DNA test once, came back 15% Irish and 85% flammable....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Pure Evil

Picture of Spectre
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
I participated in a DNA test once, came back 15% Irish and 85% flammable....

That's 100% Irish.

Entropy ain't what it used to be...

Posts: 16741 | Location: Manassas, Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
My sister did it (or one similar) and tried to talk me into it.

I admit to being intrigued, but not enough so that I want my DNA in some company's hands to do with what they will.

Shouldn't, unless there is a "step" in there, you both share the same DNA?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But just WHAT have you gained from this?

Some people are curious & some are not. Gain is knowledge which some seek & some do not.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Well shucks. Seems to me that if you go back enough generations, everyone is related to everyone. What's the fuss?

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Debate on the pros/cons of the test aside, I found this amusing.

http://en.newsner.com/biased-s...r-looks/about/family

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kadin:
Even if you don't know who your close relatives are, who cares? If they cared, you'd know who they are.

Not necessarily true; some people were adopted, abandoned, or kidnapped as infants. Some people were lost or separated during disasters or wartimes.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:

I admit to being intrigued, but not enough so that I want my DNA in some company's hands to do with what they will.

No.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
There are different DNA ancestry tests, depending on what one wants to find out. My daughter is a history buff and has been tracing back her lineage, But I'm a problem because I was adopted, with only a little interest in genealogy. I've ordered the Family Tree "Family Finder" autosomal test and the results will be my daughter's Christmas gift.

This test provides a breakdown of ethnic makeup, and relatives on any ancestral lines within the last five generations (whose DNA is in in "the database").

I'm expecting the ethnicity result to put me somewhere around the eastern Mediterranean or Middle East. While working at Home Depot in Northern Virginia, I've had many people from those regions tell me I am from there.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading the results !

Found out some things that I didn't know. Smile

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:

Nope. She does not have a Y chromosome and he does. It is possible to just do a Y-DNA analysis and only follow the trail of male ancestors back.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My Dad's oldest brother started tracing our family tree years ago, long before the internet. After his death, my sister & cousin took over uncovered mounds of info that traced us back to Germany. We arrived here in PA in the early 1700's.

A DNA test may show that somebody In the family married an Irishman, a Russian, or a native American somewhere along the way, but like Hillary says, "At this point what difference does it make?"

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's just interesting to know about one's ancestry, even if it is (usually) pretty mundane. I do know that my paternal line goes back to a Privateer for Queen Anne who came to this continent from Flanders back in the 1600s. My maternal line only came here from Germany in the late 1800s. Does it matter? No, of course not, but it is interesting.

Now, I knew all of that before DNA testing became so widespread, but I have used DNA results to discover many distant relatives (I'm talking 4th to 6th Cousins) scattered all over the country. I just discovered last week that one of them is buried in a cemetery less than 3 miles from my house, and there is one living in a city just 60 miles north of me. (No, I've yet to talk to any of them, but I have e-mailed a couple.)

For people who enjoy solving puzzles, genealogy can be a fascinating hobby. The Internet and the huge repositories of historical data on the web have revolutionized the endeavor, and DNA testing is bound to improve it even more. As to what good it is--ask a Mormon or the DAR.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I did the ancestry dot com dna test. Also have been exploring the family at the same site. The DNA test fits the actual documented history study almost. Both maternal Great grand parents came from Germany about 1870s. Fathers Paternal grand parents came from Denmark about 1860s. So one would think I had mostly German/Scandinavian roots. But I am not. Dad's mothers tree branch are very Colonial from mostly Ireland and England having crossed the pond in 1600s and 1700s. The Irish were strong connected to English Norths. Yes Lord north too. And Ollie North, and Jay North. The common ancestor to Lord north seems to be Dudley about 1500. Family lore says we are related to Lord North. And documents show some North cousins were in the Revolutionary War on our side. Another thing the documented trail of my Dad's youth indicates he had a rough life until he made it through Veterinary school. He never talked about it much. Just like he never talked at all about his US Army life in 46 and 47.
Anyway the DNA says I am 49% Brit, 36% Scandinavian, 10% East Europe, 2% Irish, And <1% each Iberian, Finland/NW Russian, Caucusus, and Melanesia. Mother asked how did the Melanisia get in there. I said "the usual way" Smile

I find this all very interesting and satisfying some curiosities about my family tree.

And maybe I am Tac's cousin HA!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The same people who cannot replace a broken doorknob or dress properly in the winter ... Roll Eyes

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have zero designs on committing a crime at any time in my remaining life, and haven't yet unless we count speeding.

However, I like to leave my options open for a clean escape. Hell, already had to give up my fingerprints to the Republic of Texas. Twice.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post