New
Find
Notify
Tools

"23 and Me" Login/Join 
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted
OK, just heard yet another commercial for this. Am I the only one just a tad creeped out by this?

Seems like many of the commercials are geared tword the Millenials or the younger crowd. They're all giddy to find out they are 1/1000th Upper Mongolian sheep hearder, but seem to miss the point (to me at least) that someone is mining data on them and their future offspring. Something with this whole thing just seems a "bit off" to me.

Plus, it still makes me laugh my ass off that the most "inclusive" seem so eager to catagorize everyone. Whats wrong with just enjoying you and your family for what they are? So if you find out you have a gene that predisposes you to something BAD...then what? Live your life forever under a cloud of uncertainty?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I did it a few years ago, I found it quite interesting.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I read the data disclosure thing and threw the kit away. Got it as a gift, so no loss.

Struck me as similar to Facebook crossed with Google, with your genetic info and a bunch of questionaire-info you provide, where you don't control where the data goes. What could possibly go wrong? Roll Eyes

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It's just a ploy to catch serial killers. (The dumb ones)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LINVS
posted Hide Post
I did it two or three years ago. It's pretty interesting to find out your background. Lots of folks base their background on family lore - which isn't always accurate.

America for Americans!

Posts: 2165 | Location: SoCal | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My sister did it (or one similar) and tried to talk me into it.

I admit to being intrigued, but not enough so that I want my DNA in some company's hands to do with what they will.

It's only a matter of time before insurance companies (and who knows who else) get their grubby little mitts on the information.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Indeed....

Pretty soon genetic info will be commoditized like internet browser search history data

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
My sister did it (or one similar) and tried to talk me into it.

I admit to being intrigued, but not enough so that I want my DNA in some company's hands to do with what they will.

It's only a matter of time before insurance companies (and who knows who else) get their grubby little mitts on the information.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the '24 and Me' version.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy: Whats wrong with just enjoying you and your family for what they are?

Well sure, if you know who your family members are. Some people have done it and found close blood relatives for the first time.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I haven't done 23 and Me, but I have done FTDNA, which is a similar product. DNA testing and analysis is a great genealogical tool.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Being that my paternal and maternal families both have very well documented histories it just confirmed what we already knew. I think Mom wanted to find an anomaly so she could research it.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I did a DNA kit on one of my dogs, that's about as far as I am interested in going.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
The only one I'm interested in sharing my DNA with says I'm too old for that nonsense. Of course she's always right...most of the time.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
I did a DNA kit on one of my dogs, that's about as far as I am interested in going.

Did he find out he was really a cat? Big Grin

I'm not against doing it. I understand for some with unknown backgrounds that it could really help discover who you are. I'm just against what the folks that run it are doing with the info. Tin foil aside, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a front for something else. Letting people have access to the most intimate details of your being is just creepy to me.

Now it's time to finish my coffee and go sit up in a tree with a gun waiting for antlered creatures to pass by. I guess mine would show I am predisposed to being an idiot.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Different company (Ancestry DNA), but I'm a little perplexed by the woman who found out she's 26% Native American. There's nothing wrong with that. But to be 26% whatever - one quarter - means one grandparent was whatever , right? How would you not know that already?

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Pure Evil

Picture of Spectre
posted Hide Post
I took the test to find that my DNA was not of this Earth. Now I spend my time hiding from Federal agents who want to vivisect me.

Just because I can set fires with my mind. Roll Eyes

Entropy ain't what it used to be...

Posts: 16741 | Location: Manassas, Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My results were disturbing

I found SIGmonkey is my cousin 136,643,456 removed.

I am also 1x10^-387% Mongolian Sheep.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I recall when this company was first formed ten years ago. At the time, the founder was married to Sergey Brin, of Google fame. Shortly thereafter, Google poured a bunch of money (millions) into this company. I would be a bit paranoid about my genetic info being out there anyway, as Gustofer mentions, but even more so if the principal(s) of the company were closely associated with Google.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife & I did Ancestry.com DNA. & she also did 23 and me because she did not believe the Ancestry.com results.
My wife who thought she was 3/4 Armenian & 1/4 Russian, showed NO eastern European. 23 and me produced similar results, no eastern European, but Italian, Southern European, & Ashkenazi. The Armenian results were as expected.
Ancestry.com linked me to others & I was able to extend my family history to arrival in Roanoke, VA in the 1630's. I have thousands of DNA linked cousins in the US.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But to be 26% whatever - one quarter - means one grandparent was whatever , right? How would you not know that already?

Not necessarily as you get 50% from each parent, but not necessarily 25% of each grandparent. It depends on what 50% you got of your each parents 100%. And there is always the woodpile!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post