SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Wisconsin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Wisconsin Login/Join 
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted
I'm traveling to Wisconsin from Virginia. I'll be driving through WV, OH, IN, and IL. I'm good w/VA CCW permit in WV, OH, IN, but have to unload and store handgun and ammo driving thru IL. Once in WI I can open carry in my vehicle as long as the handgun is visible above the window frame. I checked handgunlaw.us. Anything I might have missed regarding IL and WI?

US Army, Retired
NRA Golden Eagle Life Member

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Posts: 576 | Location: Near Lake Anna, Virginia | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Where are you going in Wisconsin? If up around the middle somewhere you can bypass Chicago and go up the west shore of Michigan and take the ferry across Lake Michigan.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted Hide Post
Lake Geneva region, but I have to stop in Chicago.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Where are you going in Wisconsin? If up around the middle somewhere you can bypass Chicago and go up the west shore of Michigan and take the ferry across Lake Michigan.

flashguy

US Army, Retired
NRA Golden Eagle Life Member

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Posts: 576 | Location: Near Lake Anna, Virginia | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, you're okay to carry in your vehicle while driving through Illinois, so long as you have a valid ccw permit from another state. However, if you stop and exit the vehicle, it must be locked up. That's the way I understand the law and how I've handled it when crossing the border. I'm 5 miles from Illinois border, so that happens pretty often.

This link explains the same:
Out of state ccw in IL

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
To my knowledge, you're okay to carry in your vehicle while driving through Illinois, so long as you have a valid ccw permit from another state. However, if you stop and exit the vehicle, it must be locked up. That's the way I understand the law and how I've handled it when crossing the border. I'm 5 miles from Illinois border, so that happens pretty often.

This link explains the same:
Out of state ccw in IL

This info is CORRECT.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Have a nice time in WI, hopefully the weather cooperates.

FYI, I’m just a few North of L Geneva, should you need any local info.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

I should offer the same...I’m 30 miles East of lake Geneva

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You must live in Lake Michigan lol.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
quote:

You must live in Lake Michigan lol.

Razz
Almost....about 3/4 mile away.