SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum brain trust: Mixers, we just polished off our 3rd kitchenaid 600 series mixer.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum brain trust: Mixers, we just polished off our 3rd kitchenaid 600 series mixer. Login/Join 
posted
What out there is a goof quality mixer. I make a lot of bread. Couple times a week. Today my 6 cup sourdough stripped another set of gears before the flour was even intergrated. I need and want something robust and worth the money we have paid. Replacing these things every 3 years is bull.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Can't you just replace the gears? We have a mixer on the ship that the cook wears out every once and awhile, and I've got it back to good as new just by installing new gears. It's something like $20-30 on amazon for the replacement parts. Add some food grade grease and good to go.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
My wife uses the kitchen maids, and we just replace the gears or the solenoid thingy, depending on which goes out.
You can find the parts online, and if you can build an AR, you can change out the parts lol.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
WASTE KANG!!!

Just dull the blades.

Seriously, you need a commercial grade mixer if you're killing Kitchen-aid mixers. Check out Hobart.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You can strip the gears on a Hobart, too. Happens regularly at the bakery in town, because the kid running it doesn't put it in "low gear" and runs it too fast, says the guy who fixes it for them.

OP-
Buy the Kitchenaid from Costco. I think they'll replace it if you "aren't satisfied".

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Seriously, dude, you probably only need the worm gear and the worm gear follower.

1 X PART # 9706529, AP3594375 KITCHENAID STAND MIXER WORM FOLLOWER GEAR FOR 5qt AND 6qt MODELS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F...p_apap_TvSVZGVVgkziT

Whirlpool 9709231 Replacement Gear Parts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014...p_apap_yKR8ugOyKPUsq

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gah, hobart is 5k. Used on maybe. I pretty much use the mixer or Speed 1 or 2. I will have to look into a more industrial type mixer it seems.

Blaze,

Thanks, i will yank it apart and order what i need. For now that is the best option. I do want to replace it though.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Wow. I agree with the brain trust.

If you're killing a Pro600-series, your next stop is commercial. Or you could try the latest Series 7, which makes more cookies anyway in its larger 7-qt. bowl.

The Hobart N50 is only $2,200 new on Amazon, but has a smaller 5-qt. capacity.

BUT, if you're mixing mainly dough, you probably want an actual dough mixer. I don't know too much about them, but I do know they tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

Good luck.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Greatest forum ever bump. I had no idea about the gear thing. Too cool.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it's the plastic gears that are failing.
I have never had to replace mine (it's over thirty years old and I'm always making bread). Last time I checked for someone else, you could indeed get METAL replacement gears. I'd consider that an upgrade worth the time.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I have never had to replace mine (it's over thirty years old and I'm always making bread). Last time I checked for someone else, you could indeed get METAL replacement gears. I'd consider that an upgrade worth the time.

That is what i am hoping to find.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I suspect the plastic gears are designed to give way before the motor burns up. Just something to keep in mind if switching to metal gears.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
6 cups is a lot of dough.

They are not that hard to repair yourself.

Here's a link to the 6-quart service manual (it's safe, I downloaded it myself) https://lib.store.yahoo.net/li...6qtservicemanual.pdf

Here's 1 of many youtube step-by-step videos on how to repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbgUHAGWX4

Note that they make food-grade grease for the gears. I didn't think of that and used axle grease. So far it's not leaking into the dough, or if it is, I haven't noticed. Wink

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am contemplating something like this.

https://www.webstaurantstore.c...1-hp/177MX20WFB.html

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

That is what i am hoping to find.

The 600 series pro models all already have metal gears. They aren't plastic.

The fact of the matter is that if you are making a lot of bread, you're eventually gonna wear out the gears. It's a simple thing to replace them though. So easy in fact that a caveman can do it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
6 cups is a lot of dough.

They are not that hard to repair yourself.

Here's a link to the 6-quart service manual (it's safe, I downloaded it myself) https://lib.store.yahoo.net/li...6qtservicemanual.pdf

Here's 1 of many youtube step-by-step videos on how to repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbgUHAGWX4

Note that they make food-grade grease for the gears. I didn't think of that and used axle grease. So far it's not leaking into the dough, or if it is, I haven't noticed. Wink

Thanks downloaded it.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...

I've never made sourdough, but I do make 6 cup batches of bread nearly every week. It's my go-to sandwich bread and the recipe makes two loaves. My 600 Pro series has never scoffed at it nor even gotten warm. Is sourdough somehow a tougher dough?

I did blow up an Artisan model about a year ago though with the same recipe.

Sorry about your troubles. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
We bought a Bosch mixer on sale at Costco after our Kitchenmaid 600 series broke. When I spoke with a local service center, they told me in our case, more than the gears had broken.

It had been having trouble making home made wheat bread. We had not used it for many batches.

The second batch of home made play dough finished it off. For what I do, I need something heavier duty than the one with the metal gears.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Hmmm...

I've never made sourdough, but I do make 6 cup batches of bread nearly every week. It's my go-to sandwich bread and the recipe makes two loaves. My 600 Pro series has never scoffed at it nor even gotten warm. Is sourdough somehow a tougher dough?

I did blow up an Artisan model about a year ago though with the same recipe.

Sorry about your troubles. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

This one has survived a while. 18 months or so. Sourdough is not so different, it is a bit goey at the start, strecthier as it is fully kneaded. I do the two loaf batch also with my non sour dough breads. Just time to upgrade.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
We bought a Bosch mixer on sale at Costco after our Kitchenmaid 600 series broke. When I spoke with a local service center, they told me in our case, more than the gears had broken.

It had been having trouble making home made wheat bread. We had not used it for many batches.

The second batch of home made play dough finished it off. For what I do, I need something heavier duty than the one with the metal gears.

Which bosh model, how has it been?