SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Doctors performed brain surgery...................................................on wrong patient
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctors performed brain surgery...................................................on wrong patient Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Well, I guess US doctors are not the only ones who screw up. Razz

http://start.att.net/news/read...ospital_m-rnewsernor

Wrong Patient Gets Brain Surgery Due To Hospital Mix-Up

Newser — Michael Harthorne

Doctors at a hospital in Kenya were two hours into brain surgery to remove a patient's blood clot when they discovered to their shock there was no clot, the Daily Nation reports.

They had the wrong patient. According to the BBC, the patient they were operating on simply needed non-invasive treatment for swelling. Both patients were brought into the Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi unconscious last Sunday.

Reports blame the patients' identification tags being switched around for the mix-up. Hospital CEO Lily Koros says the hospital "deeply regrets this event and has done all it can to ensure the safety and well-being of the patient in question."

Koros announced the suspension of a neurosurgeon, ward nurse, theater receiving nurse, and anaesthetist in response to the mix-up.

But the doctors' union says blaming "overwhelmed" staff isn't the right response, Reuters reports. “Doctors are overwhelmed," union head Ouma Oluga says. "You find one doctor could be doing 10 to 19 operations [in a day]." The Kenyan health minister later announced Koros had also been suspended. There was public outrage over the incident at the hospital, which was already under scrutiny after new mothers claimed they were sexually assaulted there. Regulators are planning a hearing. The patient who underwent brain surgery is recovering. In a twist, the patient who actually has a blood clot may not get surgery after all because their condition has improved.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
In a twist, the patient who actually has a blood clot may not get surgery after all because their condition has improved.

Oh, is there more than one? Roll Eyes (Sorry, just a huge pet peeve of mine)

But seriously, remind me never to have surgery in Kenya. Check that...in Africa.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
So they forgot to do the timeout? Does Kenya have a time out procedure? Nevermind, that's rhetorical I suppose.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
In a twist, the patient who actually has a blood clot may not get surgery after all because their condition has improved.

But seriously, remind me never to have surgery in Kenya. Check that...in Africa.

I'm guessing that the press didn't want to reveal the gender of the patient, so rather than saying "his" or "her", they went with "their".

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
quote:

I'm guessing that the press didn't want to reveal the gender of the patient, so rather than saying "his" or "her", they went with "their".

I know. I absolutely hate the prevalence of that practice, particularly in writing.

But like I said, it's a pet peeve. Not necessarily wrong in today's English. (Though I think it's wrong)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. What kind of malpractice payouts do you think a patient might receive in Kenya? If any.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know. I absolutely hate the prevalence of that practice, particularly in writing.

But like I said, it's a pet peeve. Not necessarily wrong in today's English. (Though I think it's wrong)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. What kind of malpractice payouts do you think a patient might receive in Kenya? If any.

Patient probably thanked the docs in this case that they didn't kill him, then went on his merry way.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TIA. This is Africa

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
they all look alike wouldn't be an acceptable excuse either.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
what kind of malpractice payouts do you think a patient might receive in Kenya

Perhaps a small discount to the surgery bill.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I guess US doctors are not the only ones who screw up. Razz

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Why do you think Obama moved here?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Patient probably thanked the docs in this case that they didn't kill him, then went on his merry way.

Well, probably not merry....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:Anyway, back to the topic at hand. What kind of malpractice payouts do you think a patient might receive in Kenya? If any.

Could go as high as twenty shillings...

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I was going to say two goats and a half dozen chickens......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
what kind of malpractice payouts do you think a patient might receive in Kenya

Perhaps a small discount to the surgery bill.

I hear goats make a nice settlement. A bit of goat with plantains, umm. Although prying the Muslim off them may cause some cultural problems.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Nurse enters male patient's room with a steaming pan of water.
Loud screams follow.
Doctor than says, "No, no nurse, I said to prick his boil."

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Why do you think Obama moved here?

Brain surgery? I think they fucked up...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, "brain surgery" and "Kenya" seem like a really bad idea when when taken together.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
We had a "doctor" up here that removed the wrong leg....on two different people!!

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They as a gender-neutral pronoun or as used when no gender was specified for the antecedent is hundreds of years old in English, going back essentially to Middle English. Renowned English authors (i.e. the King's English English) have used it.

It's a fine and upstanding pronoun and extremely useful.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post