SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I died 7/4/2019
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I died 7/4/2019 Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
God , gave you a second chance . Learn from it.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8309 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
If you need anything in my world, it's cost -10% for you. I'm glad to see you well and getting better. Welcome back!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6002 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Your story is truly inspirational for me. Thank you sir and God bless.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Glad you cheated the Reaper. Welcome back.

Posts: 3115 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Glad you are with us.

Prayer Sent.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Write a very nice letter to the CEO of the hospital thanking all of the staff that helped you and what a great job they did and also send a copy to the department head of the cardiac unit. A letter thanking everyone goes a very long way and costs very little.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful that you made it.
Crazy stuff, especially when it comes to dealing w out own mortality.
A couple of years ago my next door neighbor rolled his zero turn mower onto his self. It was a mechanical malfunction. It catapulted him down an embankment and off a drop and pinned him in a creek. My son and I managed to get the mower off and extricate him. His assessment revealed a tension pneumothorax and multiple fractures.
Got him loaded up and when Ems arrived got him a helicopter for transport to the nearest trauma center.
Overall, he did fine. Slow recovery. Anyway, he came to the house and wanted to know “what he could do to thank us?” I told him, nothing. I know he and his family were thankful. If he wanted to, I said he could pay it forward. Just knowing he was ok, was good enough. I am sure she understands the gratitude.
What a wonderful family, and how fortunate to have a sister in law that was quick and competent to handle your emergency.
Express your thanks, show your love, make it worth it. Most never get the chance.

Posts: 613 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on your continuing journey to good health.

As to what to do for the care givers; try to find out their names and how to mail to them. Be it regular mail or email. Then write a personal note to each one expressing your gratitude. If any one or small group of care givers stands out as extra special in your mind, make sure their bosses know about it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Welcome back!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12339 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
First,, Congrats

Second,, a very nice Thank You letter to administration with complements to everyone you can remember. Make sure to include Thanks to the ones you don’t know about too.

Third,, hospital people like to eat. Lol. I know,, I was one too. In this case make up some vegetable trays with hummus or a dip for each shift of ICU. Maybe one for the Drs office, Respiratory Therapy, and Cardiac Cath lab as an example. But most definitely for ICU. They don’t need to be huge. But taking just one in for 1st shift, it will be gone by the time other shifts arrive. If it’s a busy day, it may be the only thing that they have a chance to grab. It will be a fairly inexpensive way to show Thanks,, and will reinforce your new healthy lifestyle.

Posts: 11147 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hospital, I would go back and see if they have a bulletin board you could put a card up on. I make my own cards, there are several good programs (Hallmark).

For your family? Be there for them. Show your gratitude in actions. We already know you're active in their lives, keep it up. I might also suggest maybe searching for a bucket list trip to take together. For me, it was the great American Solar Eclipse. It cost me probably $300.00 for the RV spaces, food, etc. Maybe less. IT WAS EPIC! Although I almost had to twist my BIL/SIL arms, my SIL wept at the profound event. My point is, it doesn't have to be too expensive to be effective. Just the time and effort you put into the legwork should pay dividends. Good luck and keep up the great work!

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the thoughts and well wishes.

I got to take my first shower since the 4th and OMG was it refreshing.

I have decided to write a couple of generic cards for the wards. I am going to spend some time at the hospital and try to contact those who I came into direct contact with so I can get them something a little more personal and something they can hold/keep safe as a remembrance. Most likely the dog tag idea, but possibly a locket or something along those lines.

I'm going to do food for all the shifts as well.

I still have to decide on my sister-in-law. She doesn't wear jewelry, shes an outdoor chick though so Maybe something she can take with her on walks and what not.

Thanks again everyone for the responses.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Glad your okay, great second chance. I had something similar but not nearly as dramatic or long and it was very sudden. I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic school, lived a Catholic life. Very hard to explain. When it happened to me I was simply here then I was not. Didn't know it happened because I didn't know I ever existed. The only way I knew it happened was because I came back. It was total nothingness, I just didn't exist. As I stated being Catholic this has always bothered me.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Glad your back with us.

A card with a handwritten note. To the people that do this that would mean more than something, you could buy them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16372 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Glad your okay, great second chance. I had something similar but not nearly as dramatic or long and it was very sudden. I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic school, lived a Catholic life. Very hard to explain. When it happened to me I was simply here then I was not. Didn't know it happened because I didn't know I ever existed. The only way I knew it happened was because I came back. It was total nothingness, I just didn't exist. As I stated being Catholic this has always bothered me.

Same, Catholic school all my life. Religious family, none of that had any part to play though.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
If your walking through life, and oblivious to your health, you know who you are, make changes. I waited 30 years, and even after successfully making those changes, it was too late. I'm lucky, I got lucky, I easily could have never woken up. Don't let that happen to you. I say that with as much love as a man can say for veritable strangers in an online community, the sigforum community. Don't acquiesce to a unhealthy lifestyle because it's easier. Do the right thing when it comes to your health, regardless if it's the harder thing. And it usually is the harder thing.

Nickelsig,

1. Welcome back. You would've been missed by a host of "real life" and invisible friends and loved ones.

2. Thank you for posting, especially the quoted part above. My 50th birthday passed with little fanfare-- intentionally so-- last month, and the realization that most men in my family either never made it out of their fifties at all, or never made it out without a cardiac event, was a "nudge" in the right direction. Your experience is a larger one. Thank you.

Posts: 2448 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nickelsig229 glad your with us!
There really isn't a good way to give back to the men and women who worked on you, it's what they do. You may consider touching base with the hospitals administration and talk about making your story a short video to include team members that worked with you. One of the places I worked would do these and of course they used for marketing but you have a great recovery and nice way to recognize folks.
For your SIL, she will always hold a special place. I gave my transplant donor a custom piece of jewelry to remember her special gift. Maybe our resident master jeweler could help.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Quite the story Nickelsig glad your here to tell it! For the people that helped you as part of their jobs...get them nothing more than a personal appearance and a handshake or hug...that goes a very long ways...anything more than that and it will make them uncomfortable. I’ve been in their place many times in my career and speak from experience...we all hate receiving anything other than a “thank you”....it’s our job and the joy comes from actually making a difference such as yours. Unfortunately we get used to trying to help and the end result is less than desirable so the few good results are why they do it. An out of hospital cardiac arrest has less than a 7% chance of survival.
I had a gentleman adamantly give a “thank you” card to each of the five guys that responded to his cardiac arrest after being discharged from the hospital...he was one of that 7%....in each card was a fresh 100 dollar bill....very uncomfortable. A few days had gone by and we found out he was having a ramp built to his door at his house to eliminate stairs during his recovery....for some weird reason the contractor was able to lower his cost by 500 dollars with no explanation to the homeowner...we felt much better after talking to that contractor...errr...I mean....never mind! Wink

Posts: 3109 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post