SIGforum
I died 7/4/2019

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8680018854

July 11, 2019, 12:58 PM
Nickelsig229
I died 7/4/2019
So I was dead for about 7 minutes. I collapsed while pushing my 2 year old nephews stroller on the side walk to go see fireworks.

I'm 45 year old type 1 diabetic with 30 years of uncontrolled diabetes. 15 months ago I began my journey of self worth and began to care for my health in ways I never had before. Controlling my a1c to less then 5.4 for over a year, and dropping 130 lbs. That does not alleviate the damage done over the previous 30 years.

The initial thoughts were that I was having a low blood sugar reaction, with some convulsions and passing out. Quickly family members ran around looking for sugar from neighbors and strangers in the area. A young girl apparently gave up her swizzle stick so they could put sugar on my tongue and lips. The convulsions slowly subsided but I lost pulse and stopped breathing.

My sister-in-law is an accomplished nurse and one cool cucumber. She took charge and started issuing commands and began cpr. She started compression and my nephew whose about to start his residency in med school, followed up with breathing. It took them just short of 9 minutes to get my pulse back. The fact that they were family may have been in my favor as others may have given up or tired out. Towards the end she had to switch out with my brother-in-law who had some cpr training from being in the navy. They didn't break any ribs, but my chest sure as shit was sore for days afterwards.

EMT's arrived and with a week pulse they rushed me to a Midstate medical center, a local hospital where they miss diagnosed me as having seizures. It's suspected that the low blood sugar led them to that miss diagnosis. I was put on life support and lifestar (helo) took me to Yale New haven hospital neuro icu. Again, they thought it was seizures not heart attack.

Little side note, they didn't want to let me in the helo because the last listed record of my weight was 397 lbs and the pilot said they couldn't carry that weight that far with their fuel stores. My family quickly told them that I'd dropped 130 lbs and the records are inaccurate. The pilot inspected me and gave the ok, loaded me up and took me away.

I died at 8:20 pm ish. No one really knows the exact time. Was admitted to midstate medical around 9:15 (I haven't checked the records yet to see the exact time) and flown to Yale and admitted around 1 AM, again haven't seen the records so just going by accounts and remembrances of others.

On life support I began to breathe on my own till they could take me off. Apparently they had to restrain me because I was awake and fighting to remove the intubator tube and wires/tubes that were all over me. They told my family it would take 15-20 minutes to make sure I could self sustain before they would remove anything, but because I was acting fresh (read spastic violence towards everything plugged into me), they sedated me and it was 2 hours later that I woke up and life support removed. It was also then that My memory picks up, everything from 8 pm till 5 am is pretty much lost.

They moved me from the Neuro icu on Saturday after installing 3 onyx coated stints in 2 arteries. It took them a day of studies to rule out neuro and take up cardio. They let me recoup on Sunday in the cardio ward, did testing on Monday again to see if a closed of portion of my heart they found during the first angio was still working for viability for reopening a closed artery. Luckily it was, so Tuesday they went back in through my wrist again, and successfully opened the closed artery and added 2 more stints.

I was released on Wednesday at 11, with a new lease on life. Everyone says they will not look this gift horse in the mouth, but then they go on smoking, eating red meat and fats and settle back into the habits that got them into trouble.

Luckily for me, I'd already kicked those habits for over a year, so I'll fall back into the healthy lifestyle I've lead for the past 16 months with some minor modifications to insure heart health as well as diabetic/general health.

People asked me "did you see anything, what was it like when you died"

All I can think to say is "we aint found shit" like the two dudes with the hair pick in spaceballs. I didn't see god, I didn't see bright lights, I didn't have an out of body experience. I was awake and conscience with about 10 hours of my life missing. And I'm ok with that.

I'm not really posting this for sympathy of for well wishes and notoriety. None of that means anything to me.

I'm posting for some specific reasons. First and foremost, I've met some people on sigforum in "real life" and I've come to respect the opinions of "strangers" on the forum over the years. I want to be able to contribute some thing from the stance of experience.

If your walking through life, and oblivious to your health, you know who you are, make changes. I waited 30 years, and even after successfully making those changes, it was too late. I'm lucky, I got lucky, I easily could have never woken up. Don't let that happen to you. I say that with as much love as a man can say for veritable strangers in an online community, the sigforum community. Don't acquiesce to a unhealthy lifestyle because it's easier. Do the right thing when it comes to your health, regardless if it's the harder thing. And it usually is the harder thing.

Secondly, I post this because now I'm looking for some advice. During the week there must have been 50 or so people who cared for me, be it their jobs or not, they had a part to play in saving my life.

How can I show my gratitude to them? I'm not rich by any means, but what token can I give them so they can feel like they are thanked, and acknowledged for the part they played?

I don't want to buy dozens of donuts and send them to the icu/cardiac wards. I don't think I can buy cases of wine and have their managers dole them out, not sure the hospitals would allow that.

So I'm looking for ideas, what can I do to make them feel appreciated and special, the way they made me feel for the 7 days I spent hospitalized? Something they wont eat and forget, something that maybe next year they can see and say "I saved that guy" and feel proud of themselves.

Lastly, My sister-in-law has always been nice to me. We've never had issues and we get along, but I feel so indebted to her right now that my eyes swell with tears just typing this. We sat at my hospital bed and had a lengthy discussion and I told her how much love I have for her. What gift can I specifically get for her for saving my life?

I know this is sort of personal and doesn't really affect people on an internet forum, but thanks for letting me share all the same.

First In Last Out
July 11, 2019, 01:06 PM
az4783054
Geez. Good you're strong enough now to write about it.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
July 11, 2019, 01:11 PM
slosig
Thank you for sharing.

With respect to your question, the first thing that comes to mind is a personal, hand written thank you note. Sure, one can buy something, but taking the time to put your thoughts and your gratitude down on paper will likely make more of an impression and last longer than any purchased gift. YMMV...
July 11, 2019, 01:13 PM
VictimNoMore
Glad you're still with us!
As for your question: it costs a little money, but in the past I have bought lunch for a group of people who once helped me greatly (20 or so). Some trays of sandwiches, etc. and we had an organized lunch for them. Everybody involved was invited. It was worth the expense, which was modest.
July 11, 2019, 01:17 PM
benny6
Great story. Post a YouTube video describing what happened and thanking everyone involved. Close it to comments.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
July 11, 2019, 01:19 PM
Nickelsig229
slosig,

that was exactly my intention. Except on discharge when I asked for a list of all my caregivers one couldn't be provided. They just didn't have it accessible to them. They said someone would have to sit down and read all the care notes to see who had input on them, and that it wouldn't encompass everyone anyway. So I'm sort of left doing something for the group, or having enough of whatever gift I choose for everyone in the ward, whether they tended me or not, to come across and take/accept one.

Victimnomore,

There are just to many people on too many different shifts, I would be leaving people out by default because someone has to man the ship while the party is going on. Plus, they can't hold it in their hands a year from now and feel good about themselves.

First In Last Out
July 11, 2019, 01:20 PM
shovelhead
I had an attack while taking a stress test in the hospital twenty one years ago. Ended up with a X3 CABG, was in six days, just under seven. I was under medical care for high blood pressure and cholesterol for seven years previous to that including a restricted diet, in fact when I was in the ER my Cholesterol level without fasting was 186. I originally went in for severe stomach pains, ER diagnosis was acid reflux, I was under a lot of stress at the time due to my mother being in a hospital up north with a fractured femur. The doctor decided to stress test me before release. Good thing, my surgeon said that if I had been outside of a hospital I would not have survived.

All I can say is be thankful for every day, each one is a gift.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
July 11, 2019, 01:21 PM
sigmonkey
As for your question:
quote:
...How can I show my gratitude to them?...

"Do the right thing when it comes to your health, regardless if it's the harder thing."

(I read that some where by a guy who truly means it...)

Those who do what they do and did only want that, for those they help, most of all.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
July 11, 2019, 01:22 PM
Excam_Man
Thanks for sharing and glad you're ok.
I have no ideas on gifts, but cards are always a nice thing to have on a counter or hanging on a billboard (reminds them).

July 11, 2019, 01:22 PM
You really don't need to buy anything. A heart felt handwritten letter, or even just a short note, means more than any material thing. I know, when we received such a note, or when a patient physically came back just to say thank you for saving their life, it makes it all worth it.

Congratulations on a new lease on life.

Q

July 11, 2019, 01:24 PM
jhe888
You got better.

Glad to hear it. Take care of yourself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
July 11, 2019, 01:26 PM
James in Denver
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
How can I show my gratitude to them? I'm not rich by any means, but what token can I give them so they can feel like they are thanked, and acknowledged for the part they played?

Similar boat here (ruptured colon/sepsis/colon cancer - undergoing treatment now).

The surgeon who saved me was awesome and I wanted to show him how much it meant to me that he saved me on Nov 17th 2018.

I secretly asked his admins what he likes... they commented about his car. Seems that he has a newer--ish Tesla and loves the thing.

I had a follow up and asked him about his car, his eyes lit up and he talked for like 5 to 10 mins on the car!!! Smile

So, I popped on ebay, found a model of his car for his desk, and a few other things Tesla related, popped them in a gift bag and gave it to his office to give to him.

Personalized... Smile

I have had WONDERFUL care from all the nursing staff and other doctors, but how to take care of them... that's more difficult.

One thing I did, and I didn't initiate it, was to allow my "story to be told" in the hospital news letter, with GLOWING comments about the staff. It uplifts the staff when they see so much tragedy.

I can't thank them enough, and yep, a box of "donuts" just doesn't seem to do it.

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23
July 11, 2019, 01:28 PM
ArtieS
I would do "I'm Alive Because of You [Your Name] [Date]" dogtags and go distribute them. People can pin them to their bulletin boards, put them on a key ring, wear them on a chain, or even put them in a desk drawer, and touch them and remember them from time to time.

I'd also wear one myself just to remind myself to stay on the straight and narrow.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
July 11, 2019, 01:29 PM
10X-Shooter
quote:
to

Welcome back. Start celebrating rebirth days now.
July 11, 2019, 01:33 PM
sigmonkey
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I would do "I'm Alive Because of You [Your Name] [Date]" dogtags and go distribute them. People can pin them to their bulletin boards, put them on a key ring, wear them on a chain, or even put them in a desk drawer, and touch them and remember them from time to time.

I'd also wear one myself just to remind myself to stay on the straight and narrow.

I knew there was a reason I liked you! Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
July 11, 2019, 01:40 PM
sigalert
I opened the thread thinking the title was clickbait. I was very mistaken. God bless you, your Sister in law, and everyone that brought you back. Thank you for the reminder to take care of yourself. It seems if you don’t make the right choices for your body, your body will choose for you.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson
July 11, 2019, 01:43 PM
ArtieS
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You really don't need to buy anything. A heart felt handwritten letter, or even just a short note, means more than any material thing. I know, when we received such a note, or when a patient physically came back just to say thank you for saving their life, it makes it all worth it.

Congratulations on a new lease on life.

I have a friend who survived three heart attacks in a short time frame. He has totally changed his lifestyle, diet, weight, etc. He also now volunteers at the cardiac unit at the hospital that saved him to talk to cardiac patients, and help them through what they are going through. He loves it, and was chosen to do a video interview series with a major heart drug company to discuss his condition, and his recovery.

He finds it very rewarding to help others through what he went through, and he helps them ask the right questions of their doctors, and other care givers. Mostly, he is a friend to them when they are down, and his successful recovery gives many of them hope and inspiration.

Congratulations on your survival, and the best of luck, now and in the future.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
July 11, 2019, 01:44 PM
Haveme1or2
You made it. Now deal with life knowing how easy the switch is capable of being turned off.
I say things cause I've been there. April 24,2007.
When your time comes none of the "things" you've gathered matter.
The only thing left after one is gone is the way ppl were effected by ones interaction with them. Aka..relationships.
Walk through life knowing you either effect ppl in positive or negative ways.
..... Make your choice ......
July 11, 2019, 01:54 PM
Nickelsig229
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

I like this. This is definitely in consideration, thanks.

First In Last Out
July 11, 2019, 02:00 PM
rsbolo
Welcome back Sir. May your example inspire others!