SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Financial Question - Better Yield for Savings?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Financial Question - Better Yield for Savings? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Between tax returns and stimulus payments, my passbook savings account has crossed the 5 figure threshold.

Needless to say, interest on passbook savings is an insult. I'd like to move that money into something that pays decent interest but is still available on short notice for emergencies.

I don't know diddly about finances, never having had much in the way of spare cash before.

Suggestions?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I've used money market accounts in the past but right now interest rates suck there as well.

It seems as though keeping a liquid account comes with the penalty of not getting anything for it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I have some money in a money market Accelerated Savings Account. It started at 2.5% and every time the FED lowered interest rates it went down. It is now at .05% and from what I see that's pretty standard.
Until the FED quits giving away free money to the banks they have no need to pay interest on your money.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
See recent threads on Roth IRA's, let me find a ink

You can still put in $7k for 2020 until Apr 15th and another $7k for 2021

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4140034084

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Interest rates are currently at historic lows. So you won't be able to find any kind of money market or savings account that will appreciably grow it, or even keep up with inflation.

Even the very highest yield savings or money market accounts are offering a few tenths of a percent currently. Most are a few hundredths of a percent.

Investing is the only way to get a decent return right now. And that comes with some risk.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep. Interest rates are currently at historic lows. So you won't be able to find any kind of money market or savings account that will appreciably grow it, or even keep up with inflation.

Even the very highest yield savings or money market accounts are offering a few tenths of a percent currently. Most are a few hundredths of a percent.

Investing is the only way to get a decent return right now. And that comes with some risk.

agree with this

nothing wrong with having a stout savings account these days

but the 'top' accounts are only returning around .5% interest currently. (half of one percent)

to get more potential return you'd have to risk principal (which you already are as Rogue mentions losing to inflation ...)

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My emergency fund, which is 5 figures, sits in a money market account. I need liquid money for emergencies, its not an investment. I have it at CIT bank which is sitting at around half a percent interest. They were just over 2% when I opened it a year ago.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I use a lock box. They don't know you have it then. Only slightly less interest.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, shit.

The Good News is, I don't have to mess with it.

I really, REALLY hate the bank having the use of my money for nothing. I kinda lean toward the idea of a cash box in my safe just out of spite.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Buy that Kubota excavator! you can earn good money with it by doing work local to you.

Second thing you could do is invest some in local RE. If you buy the right piece for the right price it will make you a good profit over time.

You can make money with your money. It just takes a bit of ingenuity right know.

Diversify

Buy the excavator
Buy a plot of land
Invest $28k in your roth Ira's.

Wala! Cool

Edit: Sorry i was thinking six figures Red Face

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
We have a realtor coming today to see what she thinks we could sell this place for.

If the numbers work, we'll revive the plan from a couple of years back to put up a new modular on our daughter's land near town.

Kind of a left-handed way to "invest" in real estate by taking our equity out of this place and turning it into a new house and shop/garage.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole process. A new house and heated shop would be great. The hassle of selling/building/moving not so much.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone considered an Ultra short bond fund? Looks like some are returning 1.5 - 2.0%, without much risk to principle. I wouldn't say NO risk, but these seldom lose principle, and when they do, the amount is small.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Amex has a savings account which pays a whopping 0.4% same as Capital One..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Interest is bad everywhere now on anything safe and liquid.
I'd go for convenience and it sounds like you're already there.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve maxed out the Roth IRAs for my wife and I.

Now moving the “excess” savings to a Fidelity trade account. Nothing crazy, the same somewhat conservative mutual funds that are in the Roth accounts. I am working on a a 5+ year plan, hoping for 8-9%, anything more is gravy.

Still have 6mo expenses “emergency fund” in savings.

Worst case scenario, most the money I have with Fidelity would be available in a few days if needed.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Stock or mutual fund investments in a brokerage account are relatively liquid, if needed. Not same-day like a bank or ATM withdrawal, but just a few days to sell, transfer, and post to bank account.

Doing so can cause tax implications, though.

And there are sometimes catches to when you can liquidate certain investments. For example, if trading is temporarily halted on a certain stock, or if a mutual fund imposes a gate on redemptions for a period.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya know, since we are mentioning IRA contributions and I'm feeling lazy, can I use appreciated stock to fund an IRA, or do I have to sell the stock and use cash to fund the IRA?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can't move stocks directly into an IRA. You'd have to move money into the IRA, and then purchase stocks within the IRA.

And you'd have to have at least that amount in "earned income" that year to contribute to the IRA. You can't directly contribute the money from the sale of a stock to an IRA, since stock gains aren't "earned income". You'd need an income source outside of stock sales to fund your IRA.

But as long as you can prove to the IRS that you earned at least $6k/$7k per year from a job, you can fully fund your IRA. You're effectively putting in that $6k/$7k of "earned income" from your job into your IRA, and then refilling your bank account with the $6k/$7k in stock revenue.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Paul like many have said the interest rates on saving accounts are practically nil.

If you have access to a credit Union like Penfed they are paying .5% which isn’t much but is safe and easily accessible.

https://www.penfed.org/account...emium-online-savings

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later, interest rates are going up.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post