New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunday drives Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
Anybody else do them as kid? After church and Sunday dinner (Pot Roast and Potatoes, always Pot Roast and Potatoes) Mom and us kids would all pile into the car and go for a ride, typically with no set destination, although usually the last stop before returning home was for ice cream. Peter Pan made the BESTchocolate ice cream, though Braum’s comes pretty close.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My dad would load us up and take us to some long-abandoned distant relative's old farm house or similar, and we'd do some exploring. Usually with a hike to get there.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Modified version:

By the time we attended church and Sunday School (or Bible Study for the Adults) it was Noon.

Conveniently enough, Michigan allowed Sunday beer sales starting at noon. So I'd ride "home" with my older brother (over 21, living at home temporarily after getting out of the Air Force), he'd pick up a cold sixer and we'd consume the evidence on the way home.

Take us as much as an hour to drive the 2.5 miles from church to house...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
early 60's
when mom needed a brake,
dad would grab his best buddy and we'd head out to lake mcbride and the coralville reservoir,

I might get an ice creme cone at the purple cow cafe.

it was all gravel roads back then ,

Peachy would bring 8 or 9 pabst blue ribbons along , even at 5 y.o. , I didn't "get" the flinging of the tin empties in to the ditch's
Roll Eyes

I'd find stones to skip or sticks to throw in the lake.

if had been raining in the spring time , we would go get some mushrooms.

if we were going fishing soon we would stop at the Klima farm (where we purchased fresh eggs)
and check the Catalpa trees for caterpillars.

we would go every other weekend

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Dad used to take us to the Furr’s cafeteria for lunch after church, then we’d go to Gibsons, or sometimes the ”Woolsworth” as Dad used to call it. Where we’d look at the stuff we couldn’t buy because of the stupid “blue law” in Texas at that time.

There wasn’t much in the way of scenic drives in the Midland-Odessa region.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I assume that part of the reason why I like to drive so much is because my mother used to take my Dad and I on Sunday drives.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yep...it was pretty much a regular thing when I was a kid...from Austell to Dallas GA to spend a few hours with family or just a two or three hour drive around Atlanta (a MUCH different place in the 1960s especially on Sundays...traffic?...what traffic!)...to my recollection it was almost an adventure Smile...

My wife loved to go for drives...

After we moved to TN in 1986, my wife and I would very often load up the kids on Sunday (when I wasn't working) and head out for a Sunday drive to one of the State Parks like Fall Creek Falls. Our girls would more than likely be asleep when we got back home Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Late 60’s. We all load up in the Comet, drive so far out into the Mississippi countryside there Is nothing but peanut farms as far as you can see. We stop beside a lake, mom spreads out a picnic of tomato sandwiches, potato salad, slaw and a huge watermelon. After eating that delicious lunch, we proceed to catch a stringer full of shell crackers. On the ride home, we kids argue about who gets to lay in the back window. No seat belts, no antibiotic hand wash and we survived.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, we used to pile into the '63 Chevrolet Biscayne s/w and do the Sunday ride. That ride, each & every Sunday, would usually conclude with a trip past THE Home for Wayward Boys, and my father (cop) would always give me the: If you don't straighten out, that's where YOU will end up'. Coming from him, I never doubted it.
Big, gothic beast of a building (think horror movies) - scared me on Sunday, but by Tuesday...well you know.

Posts: 66 | Location: Boca Raton FL | Registered: April 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Late 60’s. We all load up in the Comet, drive so far out into the Mississippi countryside there Is nothing but peanut farms as far as you can see. We stop beside a lake, mom spreads out a picnic of tomato sandwiches, potato salad, slaw and a huge watermelon. After eating that delicious lunch, we proceed to catch a stringer full of shell crackers. On the ride home, we kids argue about who gets to lay in the back window. No seat belts, no antibiotic hand wash and we survived.

Not to mention NO fire ants!! LOL

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I take my dogs for a drive on Sundays most of the time.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My mother grew up in a small town in Texas. My father in an even smaller town in Indiana. So they were not enamored of country drives in the heat of Texas. Sometimes church and then Sunday afternoon football and air conditioning were the order of the day. Dad would grill steaks for dinner, his epitome of fine dining, and then it was time for 60 Minutes, Disney, and Wild Kingdom. After showering and bedtime I would read a book under the covers with a flashlight.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Minnow's post brings back another memory...the 1963 Mercury Comet 4 door...white with a red interior Smile...that was my mom's car until she traded it in the 1967 Chevrolet Impala 2 door fastback...blue with a blue interior (snazzy!) Big Grin...

Back in those days everything was closed on Sunday except a truck stop located on Highway 78 between Austell and Dallas GA...we always stopped there for a hamburger and fries...they also had ice cream sandwiches and Nutty Buddies in freezer at the checkout Smile

Where have those days gone Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Dad used to take us to the Furr’s cafeteria for lunch after church, then we’d go to Gibsons, or sometimes the ”Woolsworth” as Dad used to call it. Where we’d look at the stuff we couldn’t buy because of the stupid “blue law” in Texas at that time.

There wasn’t much in the way of scenic drives in the Midland-Odessa region.

Every time we went to visit my grandparents church, they would treat us to Furrs after the service. I haven’t seen one of those since I was a kid.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Yep. Usually included stopping at a country store that sold in-store sliced bologna and cheese for either sandwiches or crackers.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I lived near a fair-sized extended family, so just pleasure jaunts into the country side were not the typical Sunday activity after church. For one thing, my dad usually had to work on Sunday, so my mom and I would go to church with one of her sister's family. Later, when dad came home, we'd gather at one of the family homes where the kids played board games and the parents played Pinochle or Canasta.

Once in a great while we'd all go to one of the local parks for a picnic.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Almost every Sunday after church, either to the beach or lake.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Starting at age 6, every Sunday after church my dad would take me on a drive from northern VA. We'd go to West Virginia past Harpers Ferry and hit the Turkey shoot at a distant volunteer fire department. I had my H&R 20 gauge and he had his 870 pump. Usually we'd drive home with some nice prizes and listen to the Redskins game on AM radio (AM 630). Was definitely great memories and father son bonding. We probably stopped going around the time when I started high school.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Sunday drives are a tradition elsewhere as well. One of my favorite Saw Doctors songs is about Sunday driving in west Ireland.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeov8_PqSUQ

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Dallas GA

My first wife and I had a house between Dallas and Hiram off 61.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post