SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Physical Therapy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Physical Therapy Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted
We all know and assume, based on our experience, that PT will begin one or two days following orthopedic surgery.

The question to the forum is regarding a rotator cuff. Repairs included three “severe” tears, four anchors, bicep reattachment, and several pre-existing bone spurs.

Why would PT schedule a patient’s FIRST appointment 4-5 weeks AFTER surgery? No one is talking. PT, lawyer, and nurses desk say to wait for my follow-up appointment but this seems like a long time. Surgery was last Monday. First follow-up is this Monday.

Anyone else ever told to delay PT?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Based on a similar surgery (two supraspinatus tears, subscapularis torn completely off, bicep tendon in the joint. The whole mess requiring three anchors and a biceps tenodesis to repair), it is going to be a while before you start PT. The doc will likely give you some simple exercises (dangle the arm and swing in gently in a circle first one way then the other, “cut the pizza”), but these are all about moving the joint and avoiding it freezing, NOT building anything back.

This stuff is major surgery on a complicated joint. Give it a chance to heal before you rush back into leaping tall buildings, etc.

ETA: Thank you for all that you do to help ke us all safe. Best wishes for a quick and full recovery!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’ve had two RC surgeries on my left shoulder. The first surgery was more involved, with anchors etc. My first PT appointment was 6 weeks post op, I believe. The second surgery was not as involved and PT started within a couple of weeks.

Posts: 55 | Location: FL | Registered: May 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was afraid I might be missing out. Started rehab with the other shoulder day following surgery but that was also 15 years ago.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Hell, after my shoulder surgery (pig intestine replaced supra tendon)I was in a sling and had to wear the "ice chest" contraption for 2 weeks and no PT till some time later.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is missing here is clear communication from your orthopedic physician. It is like talking to the mechanic when you get your auto serviced, rather than the serivice advisor. A call to the office is in order.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What is missing here is clear communication from your orthopedic physician.

His communications were quite clear and in writing but coming off of general anesthesia I was in no shape for conversation. I just want to know if others are undergoing the same protocols. I have enough ice and pain meds to make it to Monday.

posted Hide Post
quote:
His communications were quite clear and in writing but coming off of general anesthesia I was in no shape for conversation. I just want to know if others are undergoing the same protocols. I have enough ice and pain meds to make it to Monday.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good luck. Hopefully he will clear everything up with you Monday.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I have enough ice and pain meds to make it to Monday.

Pro tip: The ice is 1000 times more valuable than the pain meds. Whatever they gave you for an ice schedule stick to it. If the pain starts to get bad, often it is forgotten ice, not forgotten drugs. Swell is a real bear, especially in the shoulder.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Physical Therapists are physical terrorists. Most of them tortured kitties and twisted the heads off of chickens when they were young.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Yea,, I’ve had PT hurt me. They think they can cure cancer and all the worlds ills.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The date for starting PT depends on the extent of the damage that had to be repaired.

In my case, my double full thickness rotator cuff tear plus two other torn tendons back in May with the surgery in early June, saw a 12 week delay with my arm strapped to my side waiting for the injured tissue to knit themselves together properly.

After 2 PT sessions I came down with Clostridium difficile, spent a month in an ICU and PCI, and I am now just shy of a month in the rehab center. We started working on rehabbing the shoulder about 10 days ago.

so it may take quite a while to get to doing PT on your busted-up shoulder

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I have enough ice and pain meds to make it to Monday.

Pro tip: The ice is 1000 times more valuable than the pain meds. Whatever they gave you for an ice schedule stick to it. If the pain starts to get bad, often it is forgotten ice, not forgotten drugs. Swell is a real bear, especially in the shoulder.

I have the Breg pump. It was covered by insurance. Looks like a beer cooler with a water pump. Ice, water, fit the thing to shoulder using Velcro, plug in the wall and start pumping. :20 on :20 off.

I leave it on all day. Definitely was able to reduce the dosage of pain meds. The pump is still
effective beyond the initial 72 hour window.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
The date for starting PT depends on the extent of the damage that had to be repaired.

Makes sense. I was told not to remove the fancy-ass sling for at least four weeks.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I'm going in for ankle surgery this coming Wednesday.
Doc said crutches and a week in a splint and then get a boot after that.
PT would start about 4 weeks post-surgery.

Didn't heal properly after grade 2 sprain so they'll cut the ligament, pull tight and reattach

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:

As others have said, consider the ice machine with an ankle cuff. Mine was an Rx device and covered by insurance.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Will do.
The orthopedic guy I went to for far too long and wasted far too much money with had me in therapy way too early, and aggravated the issue more. He finally gave up and recommended a podiatrist, and treatment plan is much more focused.
I can see light at the end of the tunnel now.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I ruptured my Achilles tendon in August. Currently a little more than 8 weeks post-op and still in a boot for 2 more weeks. I'm allowed to have it off for bed, shower and to do some mild flexion exercises per the surgeon. Full blown PT starts when the boot comes off next month.

quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Doc said crutches and a week in a splint...

See if you can borrow a knee scooter. Handy to get around first week and when not in the boot. I bought one and it saved my sanity around the house the first month when I couldn't put any weight on my ankle. Still use it when out of boot as previously suggested.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post