SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hawaii - Oahu & Pearl Harbor (Large Pic Heavy)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawaii - Oahu & Pearl Harbor (Large Pic Heavy) Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Arrived on Saturday 7 Oct and stayed at Ko Olina

For those who suggested the Poke... it was Yummy! Highly recommended

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Wednesday was Pearl Harbor Day. I highly recommend this if you visit the islands. It is every bit of a full day. A few things to bear in mind

Traffic is horrible. It took us an hour and a half to go 10 miles.

Book the Pearl Harbor Passport. It's $65/ea and allows you full access to all sites at Pear Harbor (except the Utah)

This is a FULL day. They aren't kidding. The USS Bowfin and museum you can easily do in an hour. The USS Arizona is at least an hour & 15 minutes, add an hour if you do the guided tour. The USS Missouri is definitely a few hours unless you take the deeper tour, they only do that a few times a day and it is 90 min on its own. The Pacific Aviation Museum is also a good hour or better.

Plan on $6 for a hot dog and $6 for nachos, pop is around $2-2.50. You can't bring your own food and no bags of any kind including small clutch purses. If it in any way resembles a bag, even clear, leave it in the car.

It is a very moving experience and again something you should do once in your life

The USS Bowfin

USS Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri in the background

Bowfin Museum

Puffer Bell

Propeller from a Japanese Midget Submarine

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
USS Arizona Memorial

Barbette from Turret #3

Oil continues to seep from the ship

343 - Never Forget

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I purchased this flag at the gift shop. It was flown over the USS Arizona on Memorial Day 2017 at 1131hrs.

343 - Never Forget

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
More later from the USS Missouri and Pacific Aviation Museum

343 - Never Forget

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting these. Visiting Pearl Harbor is such a fantastic and worthwhile event.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Awesome pictures, they bring back memories when I was in Pearl back in the early 80's. Thanks for posting these.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing those pictures. I hope America never forgets the sacrifices made during WWII.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First time I visited was when I was freshly returned from Iraq and there were still a few Pearl Harbor survivors that volunteered at the museum and memorial. Very special to be able to have met them. I understand very very few are left. My first visit was in. 2005 ( is that 12 years ago already?!) very solemn place the Arizona.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good time.

Great pictures, and nice use of your SIGforum coin! Big Grin

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
More from the Bowfin

The Christmas Tree

Starboard Engine, Forward Engine Room

343 - Never Forget

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A few from the Might Mo'

Two of the 5" mounts

Unfortunately the battery on my normal camera went bad, and I ran my phone dry so not lot a lot of photos.

The main bridge, flying bridge, and upper levels of the super structure are undergoing serious repair and were thus off limits. The main deck inside and outside the superstructure was open as well as the "Surrender deck and part of the interior on that level as well as one deck below the main deck.

An additional tour was available that took you through the Engine Rooms and one Turret. Unfortunately we arrived late for the last one not knowing it existed. Information on what is available isn't great. I asked a guide if there was any way we could see the gun rooms in a turret, since it wasn't closed down she took us up through a hatch on the underside rear of Turret 1. We were able to climb up inside and the doors to the gun rooms were still open. I've seen a lot of video on how the 16"/50 Cal guns are fired and those gun pits are WAY smaller than I thought. Definitely no place for a tall fat guy.

One special treat was getting to see a US Nuclear Submarine heading out to sea from the deck of the USS Missouri. It's just off my left shoulder

343 - Never Forget

posted Hide Post
Are you going to go to Wheeler AFB? I was there from 69 to 73. There was a P-40 movie prop from Tora, Tora, Tora near the swimming pool that the studio donated after filming. I often wonder how much it has changed since then. Great pictures.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BillF,

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
We were clearly told you needed Military ID to enter any base except for the USS Missouri and Pacific Aircraft Museum parts of Joint Base Pearl Harbor. So we didn't bother. Tora Tora Tora is one of my favorite movies though.

343 - Never Forget

High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Great pics.

It amazes me, the outright magnitude of loss experienced in the world wars. That one ship, the sacrifices made are more than any of us have witnessed (excluding the cowardly attack on the World Trade Center). Eventually the Long Peace will end; I pray there are enough left who have the strength to endure.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pictures. You are fortunate to be able to see it in person.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I did the exact same tours of Pearl Harbor a few years back and as you say, it was a very moving experience.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
More from the Mighty Mo'

Nothing screams 'MERICA like standing on the deck of the USS Missouri and watching a US submarine head out to sea

A 5" shell elevator

The deck medallion marking the point where the Japanese Surrender was signed

Turret #1, Gun Room #2 (middle gun). A special peek from a very gracious tour guide

The USS Missouri keeping watch over the USS Arizona Memorial

343 - Never Forget

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

That's a good pic showing the differences between the Burke Flt-I and Flt-IIA destroyers.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Rightwire,

Thank you kindly for the picture tour.
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor Submarine Base on a fast attack sub back in the day.
Brings back a lot of Westpac memories. I haven't been back to Oahu since the Missouri was put on display. Traffic was bad even then...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post