SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana drinking water
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana drinking water Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Traces of a deadly brain-eating amoeba were found in a water system in a parish in Louisiana this month, but officials said the water is safe to consume.

The brain-eating amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri is a “single-celled living organism found in warm freshwater and soil,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The amoeba spawns primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), an infection in the brain that causes the eradication of brain tissue.

The Louisiana Department of Health told water and town officials Thursday that the amoeba was detected in Terrebonne Parish, according to the New York Post. In a statement, the Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Water District 1 said the amoeba was found in “our ACR-182, last fire hydrant on Island Road.”

The water district said the organism was found in the same location that also tested positive in Aug. 2015.

“We changed disinfectants on June 12, 2017, to a free chlorine, and will remain on free chlorine until September 1, 2017,” the statement said.

The office confirmed that the water is safe to drink but cautioned residents not to let the water go up their nose.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/...r-officials-say.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And only one of the reasons I don't water board myself with a Netti pot.

Several other reasons comes from being in Water/Wastewater Engineering.

and there's more.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Always use distilled water in a netti pot, always.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well now...that explains a lot.

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana drinking water

Update: The amoeba died of starvation!!

I keed, I keed! I spent several years in Louisiana one summer Wink Razz Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
The office confirmed that the water is safe to drink but cautioned residents not to let the water go up their nose.

Yeah sure buddy. I'd be demanding some extra disinfectants and a DAILY flushing of the water hydrants to prevent stagnation.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I thought Terrebonne Parish sounded familiar.

Swamp People:

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Them boys be crazy!

If a Gator comes to find me, that's one thing. But there's no way in hell, I'm gonna go looking for them!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Was just talking about that amoeba last weekend with the couple who were staying at my house. The wife is a doctor, and the husband is a CPAP user. He was going to fill up his CPAP humidifier with tap water, and she commented about the brain eating amoeba. No worries as I keep distilled water on hand for netipots (Houston is so humid I quit using my CPAP humidifier).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana drinking water

Update: The amoeba died of starvation!!

I keed, I keed! I spent several years in Louisiana one summer Wink Razz Big Grin

Big Grin

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
From 1962 to 2016 there were 143 cases, total, of primary amebic meningoencephalitis in the United States. (Per CDC)

That's an average of about 2.6 cases per year.

NOAA estimates there are about 51 lightning strike fatalities per year in the United States.

So you are literally 20 times more likely to die by being struck by lightning than from the brain eating amoeba.

It just doesn't seem like it is worth worrying about.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, they haven't cleaned up since Katrina, eh?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
It just doesn't seem like it is worth worrying about.

Unless of course you live in Louisiana and drink the water. Razz

I don't stand out in the middle of a field during a lighting storm either.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post