SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical question Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
250.32(A) per google. Let me go grab my code book real quick.

That's what I found too... now I need to read it. Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

I just told my buddy the other day he did not need them, which is what I always believed. I always thought if you have four wires it all goes to the electrical service GEC (neutral bar). Then posted the same here. Since I haven't been able to sleep I decided to do some reading. It appears I have been wrong in the past.

Thoughts?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Are codes national? Or are they basically the same nationally, with state/county/city restrictions?

What a PITA.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Are codes national? Or are they basically the same nationally, with state/county/city restrictions?

What a PITA.

Local code usually follows NEC, but, you need to check.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

What a PITA.

Local code usually follows NEC, but, you need to check.

In VA we use VRC, which is based off of IRC, which is based off of NFPA70 (NEC). On top of those three code books each county or city adopts whichever sections and years code they want to use. Then different inspectors translate one or all of the code books as they see fit.

For instance the NEC says your ground rod(s) must test to 25ohms, or you can skip testing if you use two. Maryland just requires one ground rod. It can become quite confusing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Include a new pull string each time you pull in metal only

I used to put pull string (bucket o' twine bought at the electrical supply house) in the conduits, but at the end if it gets any sun it rots away to nothing. Frown. Also, it cuts PVC nicely (prolly why you said metal only) if you try to use it to pull wire.

If you have enough conduit projects to justify it, you might consider buying a roll of 2500# pull tape. Most tradesmen seem to treat it as a consumable - use it up and charge it to the job, cutting as needed. I use it as a tool. After pulling, I roll it back up and stow it until I need it again.

What seems to work well is to use a fish tape for the shorter runs, tape the pull tape to it with electrician's tape, pull the pull tape through, then pull the wires back. For longer runs (~1000') an air compressor works well to blow a wadded up plastic bag tied to a string through, string is used to pull the pull tape through, then the wire is pulled. The more CFM, the better.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use these. We call them mice for whatever reason. Tie pull string to it and use a vacuum to pull string through.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
^^^ And cheaper than this alternative! However, they do work very well, when there's wiring already in the conduit.
https://www.licensedelectricia...re/RT/FiberSnake.htm

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post