SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Latest bestest security cameras? Friends survived a home invasion.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest bestest security cameras? Friends survived a home invasion. Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
There was a home invasion this morning at the house of some friends. The husband was pistol whipped but survived. They plan on some security upgrades
I volunteered to install cameras in my good friend's house across the street from them. A couple of years ago I installed a Samsung system that has a 16 channel input with 9 cameras. (I have a few spares). I stopped by Sams club today and they have the same type of setup in stock, probably updated version of mine. https://m.samsclub.com/ip/sams...x10-4pm/prod21051176 . They also had Ario pro wireless. The wireless run off of batteries. There have been topics discussed on here, I think I asked about mine a few years ago. Technology in changes so quick. Any recommendations for current systems?

Here is a link to the story: http://cbs12.com/news/local/ma...ucie-suspects-sought

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The Arlo Pro 2 system is probably the best wireless system currently available. My problem with it is the requirement for its own, dedicated access point. That's a non-starter for me.

Whatever you do, don't let anybody convince you Reolink wireless cameras are any good. They're not. They're inexpensive. They should be.

I'm still waiting for a wireless system I can like.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half the reviews for that system are one star.

If you want a big box store and big box solution look at the 8MP (4K) PoE IP systems from Lorex and Swann. Costco has them, and Sams probably does too (but they left Alaska so I don’t know).

But a camera wouldn’t have stopped the home invasion. An alarm might have. A closed and locked door probably would have stopped it. A gun might have helped once it was started. But you know that, and so does your friend. Or should.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with Ring.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
That’s terrifying to hear, I hope your friend recovers all right. I have one of the Nest alarm systems with 4 cameras. I really like Nest, and wish I could give a good review... but I can’t. The cameras drop their conection constantly. I’ve literally spent hours on the phone with their tech support with no resolution. I’d be wary of a WiFi based system unless you have an awesome network.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Id recommend staying away from wireless cameras.

Research here:
https://ipcamtalk.com/

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:
Id recommend staying away from wireless cameras.

Research here:
https://ipcamtalk.com/

Wow, they got some serious Blue Iris fanbois over there

Summary: Blue Iris rocks. Everything else sucks. It's ok that it only runs on Microsoft Windows, because MS-Windows is rock-stable and never freezes, crashes or otherwise misbehaves. Except when it does--in which case it's your fault.

As for wireless cameras: As I noted earlier: I'm so far not a fan.

One of my brothers-in-law runs a security firm. Has hundreds of clients (from private property, to retail and industrial businesses, to bordellos). Talked to him about it. They experiment with new tech constantly. They'll install wireless IP cams when they have no choice, but otherwise avoid them.

For now I'll stick with the two Reolink cameras I have, because I already have them. Just ordered a high-endurance SanDisk card for the inside camera (it burned through a regular SanDisk high-end card in seven months!). I'll just turn motion detection off when we're at home. Oh, and it's time to put a fresh set of batteries in the front door camera. Last change was less than a month ago

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I put in RING floodlight cameras front and back about 3 months ago and I haven't had a single issue with the system or the display (smart phone and/or tablet).

Also give thought to hardening up the doors, there are some great kits that will turn an entry door into almost a vault door. Even just replacing the door strike/latch plate screws (most are 3/4 to 1 inch) with 2 3/4 or 3 inch screws will make a door much stronger.

Securing Your Doors

Of course a Rottweiler does help too. Wink

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That might solve the crime but it is unlikely to prevent the crime.
Our Ring cameras seem to work fine and the data is stored offsite in the cloud.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If the issue is home invasion, a surveillance camera system, while maybe having some utility, isn't going to stop it.

Jsbcody has the right idea. The house has be be hardened at least enough to slow them down and force them to be noisy. Also, and alarm will let you know if there's a perimeter breech. If the invaders still keep coming, you need to have the firepower to stop them, and a cellphone to call for backup.

Good procedures are also necessary. They will like try to talk their way in before starting the attack. Be very skeptical of anyone approaching your house unexpectedly.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I love my nest cams.

Signs on the lawn stating surveillance (whether you have it or not) works too.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Depends upon who you ask. Some criminal types, when asked about visible security measures, responded they took to indicate there's something inside worth protecting.

Personally, I think security measures that are low-key and/or come as a surprise are the best. But that's my unscientific/inexpert opinion.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Claymores stop home invasions.

Both kinds.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Depends upon who you ask. Some criminal types, when asked about visible security measures, responded they took to indicate there's something inside worth protecting.

Personally, I think security measures that are low-key and/or come as a surprise are the best. But that's my unscientific/inexpert opinion.

Meh, so if my signs make them really curious. I can record the burglars marveling at how much goofy shit I have and we can all have a laugh when they’re caught due to the HD cameras.

Who are these criminal types that you've asked btw? Or are you just saying that?

I don't think a criminal would break into a building with visible camera and warnings of a security system...

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
A friend swears by Simplisafe. His outdoor cameras recorded a medium-sized black bear in the yard of his townhouse, deep in deepest darkest Asburn (a big planned community here in Loudoun County).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Arlo Pro 2 system is probably the best wireless system currently available. My problem with it is the requirement for its own, dedicated access point. That's a non-starter for me.

What does it requires its own, dedicated access point mean? Thanks.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Summary: Blue Iris rocks. Everything else sucks. It's ok that it only runs on Microsoft Windows, because MS-Windows is rock-stable and never freezes, crashes or otherwise misbehaves. Except when it does--in which case it's your fault.

It's a data point of one, but Win 7 PC, 4 cameras, blue iris, large UPS, running 24/7 for the last 5 years. Not one crash.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arlo Pro 2

Costco has a deal on a 5 camera system

Arlo Deal Link

One thing to consider when going wireless is home construction, a timber frame home will allow the wi-fi signal to enter and exit the home easier than a concrete block home.

We have the Ring doorbell, and it has constant connectivity problems, to the point that Ring replaced the initial unit, and we've installed a wifi access point inside the home right by the front door and it's not improved the issue.

Internet and wifi network speed is more than adequate per Ring testing during the multiple calls to solve the problems of delayed connectivity, delayed upload of video.

By the time we get the live activity feed video to come up, even when standing in the room with the wifi routers the activity is over. Only waiting a minute for the video to load to Ring will you see what happened prior to it sending you notice.

Point being you'll need a strong wifi signal with good speed at the install points of any wifi units.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
A friend swears by Simplisafe. His outdoor cameras recorded a medium-sized black bear in the yard of his townhouse, deep in deepest darkest Asburn (a big planned community here in Loudoun County).

The last time I checked, SimpliSafe did not offer an outdoor camera. Do you know whether or not they've finally released one or if your friend is using a non-OEM camera?

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

What does it requires its own, dedicated access point mean? Thanks.

In wireless networking terms an "Access Point" (AP) is, essentially, the radio and wireless encryption bits. (A "wireless router" is an AP + router.)

If you look at a product image of any Arlo Pro or Pro 2 system, you'll see something like this:

That funny looking rounded-bottom thing is the Arlo Pro's access point. It's how the cameras communicate with the network. It has to be in communications range of the cameras. In a big home, or one with "challenges" (which ours has, for some reason), that can be problematical. E.g.: To get our entire small ranch home covered entirely I had to resort to top-of-the-line commercial grade gear and mount it dead-center in ceiling of the house.

There's no way for me to do that with the Arlo Pro/Pro 2 base station. So I can't use it, even were I willing to deal with the additional RF congestion and its proximity to the normal AP possibly degrading my wireless network's performance. Which I am not.

I don't mind the need for the "base station," just the need for it being a dedicated AP.