SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    whole house surge protector
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

whole house surge protector Login/Join 
posted
I am installing a new 200 AMP panel. I was thinking of adding a whole house surge protector.

Has anyone installed one?

What brand do you recommend?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My generator installer installed one when he installed the generator. It was part of their base install.

I don't know about the details though.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23084 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Looks like Home Depot has a pretty good selection of whole house surge arrestors from reputable companies. They seam to be easy to install and some plug directly on to the power panels buss bar depending on what system you have. Looks like around $100 - $200 and problem solved.

Home Depot whole house surge arrestors

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I prefer Siemens for surge protection. I’ve installed several of this exact model: https://www.amazon.com/Siemens...Device/dp/B013WINMK6

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My electrician told me that they are not very effective and not worth the money.

Curious to hear what other people think.

Is that Siemens one something a guy like me (total amateur) could install?

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
My electrician told me that they are not very effective and not worth the money.

Curious to hear what other people think.

The cheaper surge protectors are questionable, the Siemens I linked is effective against surges except a direct or very close Lightning strike. No surge protector can protect in all circumstances.

You can install the Siemens yourself if you are working in a de-energized panel ONLY. If not, pay someone like me to do it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We usually install one of these in each panel of our new homes.
I have had this in my home for over 20 years without any issues and it’s very easy to install. Takes two spaces in your panel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sq...HOM250PSPD/300716370

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We usually install one of these in each panel of our new homes.
I have had this in my home for over 20 years without any issues and it’s very easy to install. Takes two spaces in your panel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sq...HOM250PSPD/300716370

You can't install that on an older panel without the built in neutral bar and it's only for use on Square D HOM panels. Also very small Ka/amp rating. Those have not existed for 20 years either. I think you are mixing it up with the older QO one that has a white tail coming out to attach to neutral.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20738 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Looks like Home Depot has a pretty good selection of whole house surge arrestors from reputable companies. They seam to be easy to install and some plug directly on to the power panels buss bar depending on what system you have. Looks like around $100 - $200 and problem solved.

Home Depot whole house surge arrestors

First one on the list is my recommendation - CHSPT2ULTRA.

Here is one of the best sites I've found for surge protector information for a consumer.

https://www.stevejenkins.com/b...se-surge-protection/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20738 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had one of these installed when we had our 100A service upgraded to 200A and the fuse panel replaced with a breaker panel: Leviton 51120-1 120/240V Single-Phase Panel Mount Surge Protective Device, 50kA

quote:

I believe it depends upon from what surges you're trying to protect.

Whole-house surge suppressors like the one to which I linked have a relatively narrow range of operation: Too high (e.g.: lightning strike on the pole outside your home) and nothing will help. Too low and the surge suppressor will do nothing. And they'll do nothing for surges that originate w/in the home.

But there's that vast range of surges in between those extremes, that originate outside the house, against which they will protect.

Given that our home is riddled with sensitive electronics, I feel it a good investment.

quote:

I'm generally disinclined to recommend total amateurs muck-about inside a distribution panel.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I had one installed recently by the local power company, the only charge was for the protector itself, not even an install charge.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
After upgrading my TV and AV equipment I did some research and added two of the EATON CHSPT2ULTRA. I have Two 200amp parallel fed panels for a 400 amp service so I just put one on each.

I also researched and added a highly rated and recommended at the Time point of use protecter... cheap insurance and some peace of mind. (Tripp Lite TLP1008TELTV)
Both my AV guy and the cable company advised it best NOT to potentually cross connect so to speak, the cable and power with the surge protecter. The cable has its own lightning protection at the house connection point.

All that said I still often unplug power and cable when a severe lightning storm approaches or I go on vacation.

I followed the recommended install instructions, moved a couple breakers down and added the recommended dedicated breaker for each unit at the top of the box directly under the main, and made the wire leads as short as practical. The protecters are self contained and do not require installation in any other outlet box. I did not buy the highly overpriced trim covers but rather just cut the paneling out for a good enough fit for my garage. I did have to extend the mount a couple inches to reach through the studs beside the box with a rigid conduit 1/2 inch coupling and all-thread nipple.

I might also add that I have a background in electrical work and wired this house when it was built... you may need to hire the install done...

Do they help / work? No idea... but I feel better for having done it. Smile

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
our marina (85+ slips) had a lightning strike, taking out a transformer several years ago. multiple boats had electronic damage, vhf radios, chart plotters and some refrigeration or ac units.

there were many complaints to the BOD to install lightning arrestors or surge protectors in the main sub panels feeding the various docks and power.

most were quoting pricing from Lowes/HD of $100 or less would save them from replacing expensive electronics.

as one of the board, I did some research, including talking to electrical engineers that design commercial buildings.

bottom line, the "best" protection would cost the marina about $10k and still not guarantee protection from lightning strikes or significant surge form the power company.

YMMV

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
our marina (85+ slips) had a lightning strike, taking out a transformer several years ago. multiple boats had electronic damage, vhf radios, chart plotters and some refrigeration or ac units.

there were many complaints to the BOD to install lightning arrestors or surge protectors in the main sub panels feeding the various docks and power.

most were quoting pricing from Lowes/HD of $100 or less would save them from replacing expensive electronics.

as one of the board, I did some research, including talking to electrical engineers that design commercial buildings.

bottom line, the "best" protection would cost the marina about $10k and still not guarantee protection from lightning strikes or significant surge form the power company.

YMMV

john

Nothing can protect against lighting or really bad surges from the power company. These are to deal with micro surges which you get 10's or 100's of daily. Dryer starts, fridge kicks on, A/C kicks on, etc. The will also protect you from distant lighting hitting PoCo equip a couple miles away, but not on your block or your home. They will also protect you from small scale power company surges.

Electricity is not 100% predictable and will destroy whatever it feels like when it feels like it. Best you can do is hope it's doing it's job. I lost an $80 ceiling fan remote during a windstorm and I have a good quality unit installed in my panel.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:

YMMV

john

Also, many times lightning will directly hit a tall boat in the marina (usually a sail boat or Sportfish with a tuna tower) and then this will strike will backfeed the power at the marina through the shore power cord on the hit boat and effect many boats in the marina, so a surge protector wouldn't help in that situation either.

However, it doesn't hurt to have surge protection that will add some insurance in some/most spike situations in your house.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have one that was installed through my electric company. I ordered it through the power supplier, and their contractor came out and put it in, the payment was through my ordinary electric bill.

This system installs on the Power Company side of the meter, and has two visible red lights, one for each 120 volt line coming in to the house. That way you can monitor even a partial failure of one line.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to call the local power company and see if I can get one from them.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had one and in the last 22 years have not needed one. If I was upgrading electrical or modifying my panel I’d likely add one.

Posts: 4071 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My generator installer installed one when he installed the generator. It was part of their base install.

Same here.

Posts: 1550 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Same here.

SOP for any good generator install, even just a portable unit, I'd even say especially a portable.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis