SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody do plastic welding?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody do plastic welding? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Toying with the idea of getting a plastic welder.

Inexpensive stuff is basically a high wattage electric soldering iron that you use to melt and shape plastic. Crude, but...well...crude.

High end stuff is hot air with various tips to concentrate the air flow. Unfortunately, $400-$500 is out of my budget.

Did see one mid-price hot air system that tempts me.

What does the brain trust recommend?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
what are you going to weld?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
ATV plastic...fenders, etc. would be the main thing.

I know there are a raft of different plastics, each with it's own characteristics. The ATV stuff tends to be a nylon-like flexible plastic, but don't know the exact composition.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You mean something like this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You might look at the Eastwood website for this including Hot Staples .

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this for a soldering iron
Hot air soldering station
It is rumored that it has melted a few plastic items back together that were inadvertently broken while I was NOT playing with them.....
They make a bunch of models - the hot-air only one is ~$100. It's REALLY handy to have iron+air when you need to pull relays off a PCB because you designed the footprint upside down & need to put them on the opposite side of the fucking board.

An extra set of hands & a cheap heat gun to pre-heat the area can help with a large section. I doubt you'll get humpty dumpty back together, but it can make cracks less noticeable.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Does it work on Kydex?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
As an auto hobbyist I’ve been welding plastic for years. Anything that will melt the material works well enough. I’ve found material that lets you weld everything from white plastic (like milk jugs) to hard plastic like the composite butt plates on a shot gun. The front and rear bumper fascias on cars require imbedding stainless steel screens for strength. Try it. Easy to learn. And very handy. You have to investigate what types of materials you need to weld, and what material is compatible.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to get someone to weld the crack on the Shield frame in my safe...I think it could be done.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I worked at a place that had an ultrasonic welder. They didn't use it much but I thought the concept was cool.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post