SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Restoring rusty cast iron?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring rusty cast iron? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I've got two cast iron pans (a frying pan and a grill pan) that haven't been well looked after. One is greasy and a tiny bit rusty, the other is just rusty. Surface rust, mostly.

How can I rehab/resurface them and get them back in the game?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Clean off the rust, wash and dry them.
Coat them with olive oil, grapeseed oil or similar, put in the oven 250 -300 degrees for an hour.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can clean then with a wire brush attached to a drill to loosen the rust. Hot, and I do mean hot, water wash with limited soap, quick rinse, then hand dry and put them back on the stove to heat up. Make sure all water is gone, and pan is warm to the touch, and season with grapeseed oil for high smoke point cooking. Season them upside down at 375 in an oven.

Put oil on liberally, heat, remove, wipe down excess oil, put back in, and keep wiping until you are getting almost no oil, then go back and start with oiling liberally. Do this twice and you will have some good cookware.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The be all/end all of cast iron restoration and maintenance:

Starting to wonder if Scott Paper Towels sponsors him... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy peasy. Spray with oven cleaner and wrap tightly in a bag for a several days to remove all the carbon/organic material, then rinse outside with the hose. Alternately, you can do a lye/cold water bath.
Either way, wear rubber gloves and eye protection, and do this outside; this stuff is nasty, but effective.

For the rust, mix enough equal parts cold water and white vinegar to submerge the pans for 12-24 hours, using a plastic bristle brush occasionally to break loose the top surface of rust, and repeat. Then rinse with copious amounts of cold water to neutralize. If you leave the pans in for upwards of a couple days, the vinegar will begin eating the metal, so don't wait too long. As soon as it's rinsed, dry it in a warm oven, then immediately begin the seasoning process; I prefer good old fashioned lard.

Here's more info from the Wagner/Griswold Cast Iron Society:
http://www.wag-society.org/cleaning.php

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried Evapo-Rust on cast iron cookware? It certainly removes rust well on tools.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I used the electrolysis method described here to restore a couple corn stick pans, two Dutch ovens, and a couple large frying pans. I did use the oven cleaner method on a couple to get rid of the organic material. Be aware, when you are finished, they need to be dried and coated immediately to prevent new rust from forming, as they are completely bare iron.

https://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone tried Evapo-Rust on cast iron cookware? It certainly removes rust well on tools.

I was going to ask the same thing. I use it a lot with great results, but haven't tried it on cast iron yet.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I was going to ask the same thing. I use it a lot with great results, but haven't tried it on cast iron yet.

It leaves a film behind, so extra care when cleaning it after de-rusting would be called for.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Cowboy Chef Kent Rollins has a YouTube page loaded with recipes for Cast Iron cooking.

He also has several videos on buying, preparing (seasoning), maintaining, using, and storing cast iron cookware.

This video is on how to Safely Remove Rust from Cast Iron Cookware:

www.YouTube.com/watch?v=7JPyUYbdS5k

Kent has a website, this page has the written directions from his video:
www.KentRollins.com/How-To-Safely-Remove-Rust-From-Cast-Iron/

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with the oven cleaner and plastic bag method. Bought an old griswold off of ebay and it looks brand new.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
One self cleaning cycle in your oven is all you need
Did it for many decades.
Evapro rust is for tools and machines.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Did it for many decades.

Yep. Basically takes it down to bare cast iron.
Season from there and you're golden.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/2790033344/p/1

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Did it for many decades.

This. Don't spend money on it when your oven almost certainly has this feature. I follow this with a super scrubbing with Dawn and stiff bristle brush, then heavy rinse and dry over heat to get all the moisture out.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bake a rusty pan in the oven for as long as you like, it will still be rusty when it comes out.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Got an add on question to this thread, since it's quieted down some. OP, hope you don't object.

I see that different people season their cast iron with different products: lard, bacon grease, Crisco, olive oil, etc. Some swear olive oil ruins the pan, others that it's fine if used correctly.

To my question: I've never read that someone uses multiple products to season their pan (or re-season after use). Do any of you use multiple oils/greases to season at different times, or is it strictly one product only?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Got an add on question to this thread, since it's quieted down some. OP, hope you don't object.

I see that different people season their cast iron with different products: lard, bacon grease, Crisco, olive oil, etc. Some swear olive oil ruins the pan, others that it's fine if used correctly.

To my question: I've never read that someone uses multiple products to season their pan (or re-season after use). Do any of you use multiple oils/greases to season at different times, or is it strictly one product only?

One product only.
Peanut oil.
Olive oil is a low smoke point oil. Deep fry a turkey, what oil do you use?
Works for me but my grandmother used Crisco.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post