SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Civic Musty Stink When Running Defroster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Civic Musty Stink When Running Defroster Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My 07 Civic has developed a musty stink when I run the defroster, but ONLY on the recirculation setting.

As soon as I turn recirculation off, it goes away.

Something clogged up somewhere? I just replaced the cabin air filter thinking it was that, and the old one was pretty gross but it keeps doing it.

Any ideas?

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there any steam, or a sweet smell? If so, heater core could be starting to leak.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Dead critter in the system?

BTDT.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
does it have a sun roof?
Went thru a problem with clogged drain pipes in my grand cherokee
Simple fix for me ,pulled carpet up slightly and opened up the 1/2 bladder and flushed with water.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Mold and mildew would cause a musty smell.

How to get it out is another question. Ozone generator?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
mice, as already mentioned.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It smells fine on any other setting than recirculate.

Wouldn't dead animals smell all the time no matter what setting?

It's a musty/mildew smell, not a dead animal smell.

No sunroof.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it have a cabin filter? If so, that may need to be changes.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:

PC

My OP states that I had just replaced that recently.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:

PC

My OP states that I had just replaced that recently.

Yeah, but you didn't add it until the 4th sentence? Who the hell can read 4 actual sentences in the very first post of a thread?

Come on man. Wink

If you normally use recirc mode you definitely do not want to leave it in that setting when parked I've been told. The outside airflow will keep the mildew down if you leave it on fresh as much as possible, or change to that before shutting down.

Not sure how to remove the funk once there....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Spray some of this in the intakes located under wiper blades while the heat/AC is on. This stuff will knock out any odd smells.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
That, or Lysol. Be sure to let it run on recirculate for a while, after.
It may take a few applications over a week as the Lysol kills the bacteria.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I see you’re in PA and you’re probably not running the AC yet. If you ran the AC on recirc you’d most likely smell the same odor. When you run the defroster the AC compressor comes on, helps the air get dryer so the defroster is more effective. BTW recirc is the same as MAX setting.

I’ve seen this problem many times before, I used to be in automotive service management.

Your car has a clogged or restricted water drain line, there is a line hanging down and the condensate runs out of it onto the ground.
Ever notice a puddle of water under a car sitting for a few minutes with the AC on? That’s this. The water was retained in the evaporator case and stagnated, bacteria grew, became moldy and stinks. In RECIRC or MAX mode the blend door is moved to shut off outside air, which is warmer, and the system goes to cooling already cook air, making it much colder out of the vents. Basically the defroster works through the AC system.

You need to make sure this line is clear.

Often times spraying Lysol in the fresh air intake (located by the wiper blade) will kill the bacteria and odor. Try this first. You can also buy a stronger sanitizer if a can of Lysol isn’t strong enough.

If that doesn’t work, do this: Go to an auto parts store and buy a AC drain cleaner and deodorizer. Here’s an example LINK

This kit has a tube you insert into the drain tube and physically clears a clog. The spray is stronger and kills the bacteria.

Here’s a tip: When you run the AC on recirc, a few minutes before stopping the car turn the AC back to normal mode. This runs much more outside air through the evaporator case and helps drain water out, preventing this issue.

I was driving Sis’s new Jag recently, when you put the AC on recirc it cools much better but after 10 minutes or so it turns recirc off and back to normal. I like this feature a lot, it greatly reduces the chances of getting the odor issue.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 07 Civic has developed a musty stink when I run the defroster, but ONLY on the recirculation setting.

I'm a little surprised that it allows you to run recirc while defrosting. Most newer cars (to me, a 2007 is still fairly new) don't, and if you try, they won't let you. Anyway, you've probably got some of the same crap on your evaporator that contaminated the cabin filter. It is also possible that the water drain hole/passage/hose is clogged. Do you hear any sloshing? When you select fresh air it clears out the stink somewhat, like opening the windows in your house when something stinky is in it. There are products you can buy that you fog in through the cowl vents.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen people use steam cleaners to clean/sanatize their vents?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Total agreement with OKCGene.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Own a Honda myself.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Do what okgene says. I have to do this to my police car every few months.

Large can of Lysol.
Run heat on max. Spray Lysol into intake for a minute. Let system run then switch to ac. Spray Lysol some more. Then run defrost and spray Lysol. Then switch to ac recirc and spray Lysol some more. I pretty much use up the can.

Make sure to have all windows open when doing this.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Should make this thread a stinky—I mean a sticky. Big Grin

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Have you considered showering and deodorant so you're not stewing in your own recirculated scent? Until then, dilution is the solution to pollution (i.e. don't use recirc, bring in outside air) Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/f53CcQWqGoo

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post